PDA

View Full Version : YFZ fix for charging system

Pappy
04-21-2004, 07:48 AM
ok, this is straight from trailtech and it kind of explains how thier rectifier is better then the stock one on the yfz. the yfz stator is set up differently then say a 400ex or raptor due to the high reving capabilities of the engine. this is similiar to the systems used on some high end street bikes.
------------------------------------------------------------
from trailtech:

Full Wave rather then half wave.
a half wave rectifier will not regulate the stator while the lights are off. the voltage floats high on a half wave (over 14v) which damages the batteries. Full Wave rectifiers eliminates this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------

this would explain why running the headlights seems to help prevent some of the issues but not all of them. i geuss that once the battery is fried the rectifier is next and that would explain why even after a replacement battery is installed it also fails in short order.

i know of a member that has used 4 of these units to see if they fix the yfz problem. out of 4 yfz's all had the battery issue. nothing else was changed other then the rectifier and all 4 have failed to have further issues.

jlhughes750
04-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Great info!! thanks Pappy

brandonpeake
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
how much does the rectifier cost?

Pappy
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
trail tech has them listed for $39.95

Wingnut
04-21-2004, 09:52 AM
From the pictures it looks like there are 5 wires coming out of it. What do we do with the 5th wire?

Pappy
04-21-2004, 09:55 AM
the blue wire gets cut off and isnt used. its primairily used for limiting charge to the smallest of batteries and restricts amperage to 1 amp.

brandonpeake
04-21-2004, 10:00 AM
thats not bad i expected it to cost alot more

crayfz
04-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I have mine, install it tonight, and hope for the best.

Quad18star
04-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Should this rectifier be used with a different battery or should a new stock battery be used?? My battery became toast 2 days ago while trying to load the 450 into the truck . Total pizz off.

Pappy
04-21-2004, 12:24 PM
the stock size should be fine in mx situations. imo its still a touch small for xc or desert applications. i still have stock everything and have yet to have a single problem.

seatec
04-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
the stock size should be fine in mx situations. imo its still a touch small for xc or desert applications. i still have stock everything and have yet to have a single problem.

Same here. even when my fan was running like crazy at the Tomahawk HS.

Quad18star
04-21-2004, 01:09 PM
My dealer just called and left a message on the machine saying " Due to the battery issue , they needed to order some parts " ... Now they got me wondering wtf is wrong it . Guaranteed soemthing got fried in there somewhere or they didnt have a battery in stock . Or maybe the whole bike burnt to the ground like that one picture that was posted on ehre last week .... burn baby burn :blah: :devil:

Quad18star
04-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Awesome .... I got a fried stator ... just F'ing lovely .... Yamaha better not have them on backorder or I'm gunna FLIP !!!! Anyone know what may have caused this??? Anyone wanna buy a YFZ 450 ?? ;) :mad:

04-21-2004, 01:46 PM
After talking to trailtech, they are not 100% this is a total fix. in theory yes it is, BUT their test quad is already modded with several other electrical options. they did tell me that if you switched to DC the problem would be fixed for sure! Everything they have worked for so far is to add more lights to the quad not take them off!!!! They are now concentraiting their efforts on running the quad with out lights. They also informed me that they will be offering a +8oz flywheel soon for XC racers on top of the +4oz they already offer

04-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Quad18star I would suggest contacting trailtech and getting one of their rewound stators before ordering another stock one

Quad18star
04-21-2004, 01:59 PM
The stator is being replaced under warrantee through Yamaha , Im just hoping they aren't on backorder or else I'll be pissed . I can't see how the stator can already be screwed . The quad only has maybe 20 hours on it , if that .

crayfz
04-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Put the trail tech regulator/rectifier on, the way they till you put it on doesn't work, talked to them and they want me to try something else. Family duties don't allow the time tonight.

Chef
04-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
After talking to trailtech, they are not 100% this is a total fix. in theory yes it is, BUT their test quad is already modded with several other electrical options. they did tell me that if you switched to DC the problem would be fixed for sure! Everything they have worked for so far is to add more lights to the quad not take them off!!!! They are now concentraiting their efforts on running the quad with out lights. They also informed me that they will be offering a +8oz flywheel soon for XC racers on top of the +4oz they already offer

And the test quad is fast motha-just to add.:cool:

Woody_YFZ
04-21-2004, 10:09 PM
This battery problem is still a mystery to me. I talked to a friend of mine who does the set ups for a local dealer and he said that they have only had one machine ever come back with the problem. He thinks it has more to do with the way they are charged from the dealership. I own two YFZ's and have two friends with them and none of us have had any problems whatsoever.

Quad18star
04-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Anyone know what may have caused my stator to fail?? Factory defect maybe??? I wounder if this stator has been the reasoning behind all my battery problems since I got the quad . Ah well who knows .... as long as the quad runs I'll be happy ... Now i just gotta wait till they get it back to me .

AlaskaSpeed
04-22-2004, 05:47 PM
I am glad I installed the Trailtech rectifier long ago.....fried stators don't sound good to me. I have run with NO lights from day one and have never had an issue.....JIM

Quad18star
04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Ridding a Honda sounds pretty good to me right about now ... LOL .

CatMostFeared
04-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks Pappy great info.I havent had a problem out of mine but I always run with my lights on.:macho

SRH
04-25-2004, 12:58 AM
http://www.trailtech.net/images/dc_conversion/regulator_rectifier_sm.jpg

thats the rectifier you guys are talking about correct?, i just hook it into the wires for the old rectifier? and there universal or machine specific? from what i can tell is there universal, i race mx so i dont run lights

****150 Watt Full Wave Regulator/Rectifier PART #: 7002-RR150
Price $29.95

Trail Tech regulator/rectifier. The regulator/rectifier is a must for DC power. Full wave Regulator Rectifier designed specifically to convert motorcycles and ATVs to 12 Volt DC power. Can be used on any off road motorcycle or ATV. To complete the installation, you will need to float the ground in your stator or use a rewound stator. Also, to filter the DC power, a battery or capacitor will be required ***

ok im somewaht confused do i need a capacitor or new battery to work with it or with the yfz do i just hook it up and go? and whats this floating the ground, and rewound stator stuff, and isnt the yfz already dc power? what does the rectifier change ?

Quad18star
04-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Check over in my thread about my stator being done ... he explains a little bit more about what this thing does ( I think )

powerstroke
05-01-2004, 09:57 AM
My buddy was having the typical yfz issues. we ordered the rectifier and installed it. We called trail tech to ask a couple questions. The tech told us that TRAILTECH MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO CLAIM THAT THEIR RECTIFIER ALONE WILL FIX THE YFZ PROBLEM. He said we need to add the trailtech rectifier and also the trailtech stator. The tech told us that the rectifier alone will probably hold back too much voltage and never fully charge the battery. The trailtech rectifier definitely holds back a lot more voltage because after we installed it we turned on the lights and the lights were barely glowing. they shine very very dim with the trailtech rectifier in place. Matt

AlaskaSpeed
05-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SRH
http://www.trailtech.net/images/dc_conversion/regulator_rectifier_sm.jpg

thats the rectifier you guys are talking about correct?, i just hook it into the wires for the old rectifier? and there universal or machine specific? from what i can tell is there universal, i race mx so i dont run lights

****150 Watt Full Wave Regulator/Rectifier PART #: 7002-RR150
Price $29.95

Trail Tech regulator/rectifier. The regulator/rectifier is a must for DC power. Full wave Regulator Rectifier designed specifically to convert motorcycles and ATVs to 12 Volt DC power. Can be used on any off road motorcycle or ATV. To complete the installation, you will need to float the ground in your stator or use a rewound stator. Also, to filter the DC power, a battery or capacitor will be required ***

ok im somewaht confused do i need a capacitor or new battery to work with it or with the yfz do i just hook it up and go? and whats this floating the ground, and rewound stator stuff, and isnt the yfz already dc power? what does the rectifier change ?

Ok, I remember Pappy IM'ing me; asking me about this fix. You don't need to buy the capacitor to use the Trailtech rectifier. You don't have to float a ground; it clearly says that on their website. You don't have to have your stator rewound. You don't have to buy a new battery; unless yours is bad.
You just hook up the wires and go...it's really that easy. JIM

Booth440ex
05-06-2004, 07:23 PM
so is this a good way to help fix the battery problems and why are the lights so dim after installation?

jjgixxer
05-12-2004, 12:31 PM
can u guys tell me how to switch ot over too (dc) i thought it was already but maybe not.. but how do u switch it over i have not gotton my 450 yet next weekend just dont want any problems out of it

jjgixxer
05-15-2004, 01:33 AM
ok nobody replied lol soo what should i do when i get 450 change batteries?? run with lights on ?? buy this thing from trail tech ??

jjgixxer
05-15-2004, 06:23 PM
??

zfire_28
05-19-2004, 02:24 AM
When I took my headlights off, my charging system started acting up on me till I wired in 4 little resisters from Radio Shack. Now I have no problems.;)