PDA

View Full Version : I need TRANNY HELP!!

kaneman23
03-15-2002, 10:07 PM
For some reason my 400EX doesn't like to go into 3rd or 4th gear when I am really getting into the throttle(high RPM's). I revved 2nd gear to redline and reached down with my right hand to shift it into 3rd and I had to pull it up 3 times forcefully before it would go into gear and it was not a smooth engagement. Now, if I am driving very easy I can shift smoothly into 3rd and 4th with no problems. I am guessing it may be my clutch? I am going to do some adjusting to the clutch tomorrow and see if it cures the problem. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? What else could it be? Please tell me its not my tranny gears... Thanks,
Justin

03-15-2002, 10:29 PM
sounds like a burnt or bent shift fork..i would get it in to a shop

kaneman23
03-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind when I start checking it out.... Anyone else know what it could be?

kaneman23
03-16-2002, 12:00 PM
O.K. I went and checked the cable near the clutch lever and it had way too much play in it. You could see the pivot arm at the top of the clutch basket assembly wasn't opening far enough for the clutch to engage properly. I tightened my chain a little as well because it had too much slack then took it for a test ride. I could pin 2nd gear and shift to 3rd easily and into 4th as well. This seems to have fixed the problem.