PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug

Manny55
04-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Well i finally got the jetting pretty close to being right but im not quite sure yet. So i want to do a spark plug check and play around with it. But i dont know how to get the damn plug out i removed the gas tank but i can't seem to get the dang plug off. Any suggestions, how do you guys get the plugs off?

29FTEX
04-21-2004, 06:57 AM
You didn't have to take the gas tank off to get the spark plug out. That is why the bottom of the gas tank is "V" shaped, so you can get the spark plug tool in there. Pull the spark plug cap, put the s.p. socket, from your tool kit, in at an angle. Kind of tricky the first time, but you'll get the idea.

Manny55
04-21-2004, 06:59 AM
OOOOOk! thanx.

#1speedbump
04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey manny did ya get it out yet??? I had to loosen my tank on one side to get the sprocket to go into the head. What a pain!!!!!! I can say for me I will let the service dept change it the next time, they can do it while their changin the oil:blah: Gotta love the extra honda warranty.

Manny55
04-23-2004, 07:18 AM
no i haven't tried to take it off yet. Im leaving for sand lake in about 35 minutes i think im gonna see how its running and see if i need to adjust the needle at all.

snow4fun
04-26-2004, 08:00 AM
I took my spark plug out and it was a pain in the arse. I decided to pull the gas tank to see what was keeping the spark plug socket (sps) from easily going down onto the spark plug and there is a plastic cover on mine under the tank. The plastic cover has a little hood looking thing above the spark plug hole and in messing around with the tank off, I found if I cut a small section of plastic out of this raised up hood of plastic, the sps is much easier to use as it doesn't run interference anymore. I only cut about 1/2" by 1/2" and it makes a huge difference. I just kept trimming it until the sps would go down and come back out without hitting this plastic. (Note: Cover up your spark plug hole before cutting the plastic so you don't get any plastic down around the spark plug - I took some compressed air and blew down in and around the spark plug to ensure nothing fell down there. Or just leave your spark plug cap on.) Now with the tank on I can easily get the spark plug out. Hope this helps someone else.