PDA

View Full Version : anyone with crx's?

Pvt. Maggot
04-21-2004, 12:08 AM
well...i'm turning 16 in december...i'm gonna get my permit right on the day...i wanna have something ready to drive by then...well..i have an 85 blazer..its a sweet truck..could be...got a few things..but it needs fixed up...alot..and its a lemon the frames a little bent...and it steers wierd...so..i was thinking about selling it...and buying a crx "i know some of you guys don't like ricers i don't either" but...this is one of my fav cars..and the only ricer i really like...i was looking at parts on e-bay and they are CHEAP! i was amazed...and the cars i saw you can pick up a fixer uper for 200-500 bucks...so..what do you guys think i should do? i love my truck..but i kinda want something smaller to start out with...:)

RMX500
04-21-2004, 12:35 AM
CRX's are great.. if you're a tuner and have 10 grand to drop n' swap a B16 and basically work over the drivetrain, suspension and redo just about everything on it.

I mean they are cheap to own and cheap on gas, but they are far from fun in stock form.

quadrcr161
04-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by RMX500
CRX's are great.. if you're a tuner and have 10 grand to drop n' swap a B16 and basically work over the drivetrain, suspension and redo just about everything on it.

I mean they are cheap to own and cheap on gas, but they are far from fun in stock form.

ummm wha???? 10 grand?? rriiggght.

far from fun in stock form? youve gott o be kidding me, they are one of the best cars for the stock class of autocross, they handle very well and ahve great weight distribution. but the miata still has the best distribution.

it just depends on what you want to do with it. they handle great and are very fun cars to drive. i have a 90 SI, and i have friends with several also, and 2 of them are 20+ yr honda techs.
you can build a very nice on on a budget. if your wanting to do a body kit, wings and other crap dont waste your time. you dont need 10 grand but it does take some money, if you are mechanicaly inclined you can save alot, but if your wanting to build a fast car, you can take the money you would spend and go buy a faster car that is still stock.

even though the SI is heavier you get a lot more options over the base model and it is easier to upgrade. with the si you get disk brakes all around (90-91only) front and rear sway bars (dx and hf only have front), a sunroof, Si door pannels and floor mats which look better and better seats from the fatory. the Si seats were designed by recaro racing. the SI and HX has the multi point injection which will be easier to up grade to a new motor, the DX has dual point which need to be rewired. the SI trans gearing is a little shorter then the other 2 since the si is the sport model. the si has the SOHC 1.6 while the others have the SOHC 1.5.

motor
if your wanting to do a swap, there is several options. you can do the DOHC ZC which came in the car everywhere else and uses your trans and mounts. you can do any b-series but you will need the trans and a mount kit along with a shifter kit, and some rewiring. i would suggest the ZC (in mine) or the SOHC vtec or any b18 swap(GSR,LS, type R) the B16 is an over rated slow motor. stay away. also realize you will be giving up ground clearance with a larger motor if you lower it and can mess up with the weight distribution of the car.

brakes
if you get an 90-91 SI all you need to do it stainless steel brake lines. nothing more, the car will stop very well as needed. if you have the drum brakes you can do the SS brake lines also but i have a freind who changed over to disk brakes just for convience of changing and working on them. they stop very well and are actually lighter.

suspension
theres so much crap out there that isnt needed unless you only track your car. all you need is a good set of shocks, AGX KYB tokiko are all good choices. a good spring, to lower it around 1.5 inches is plenty. im about to change over to the eibach pro kit that my friend installed, not too low handles great and has a good ride. you will also need a camber kit to get it aligned. a nice set of suspension tech sway bars are nice also, if you really need them.

CowsBitePeople
04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
my friend just picked one up for 80 bucks with 223 thousand miles on it and its in nicceee shape and runs pretty good lol

Rebelrider4OOex
04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
see what u like best then think about all the kind of cars or trucks that u friedns have or are getting if they are all get inports get the crx or maybe if they are geting 4x4s for mudding keep u blazer so u can join the fun in the woods...........also think about what u would like best , the blazer might not big to good on gas if ur planning on putting bigger tires on there while the crx will be great on gas so it also depedns on how much u will be driving and if u got money for gas or not

personally id take that blazer and put some nice 4 inch swampers on it and beat the living ***** out of it if ots not in that nice of condtion:devil: :blah:

Rebelrider4OOex
04-21-2004, 06:35 PM
40***** inch swampers ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:macho

cudaman
04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex

personally id take that blazer and put some nice 4 inch swampers on it and beat the living ***** out of it if ots not in that nice of condtion:devil: :blah:

dont get to crazy with your 4 inch swampers. LOL ;)

2001400ex
04-21-2004, 06:51 PM
My opinion; if you want a fast car and you think you're going to get it out of a CRX with the usual mods. (intake, exhaust, headers) it's not gonna be very fast at all. If you can do the B16 swap and really get a badass engine in there it would be fast, but it would take alot of work. Just my .02

Other than that the things live forever and the gas mileage has to be awesome in the tiny little four cylinder...

quadrcr161
04-21-2004, 09:38 PM
a b16 isnt as lot of work but it can get expensive if your paying someone to do it. you can swap motors out in a saturday. but wiring and setting up an ecu can be the hard part. with any vtec motor the easiest thing to do is get a zdyne one wire ecu. if your going that far do any 1.8 motor, stay away fromt he b-16 its not worth it. or you can do a homebuilt turbo kit on your SOHC and be quicker and cheaper.

TORO1968
04-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
My opinion; if you want a fast car and you think you're going to get it out of a CRX with the usual mods. (intake, exhaust, headers) it's not gonna be very fast at all. If you can do the B16 swap and really get a badass engine in there it would be fast, but it would take alot of work. Just my .02

Other than that the things live forever and the gas mileage has to be awesome in the tiny little four cylinder...

Going fast doesn't always refer to straight line acceleration. ;)

If you've ever seen a CRX at an autocross event, you'd know quadrcr161 is talking about.

The CRX is a great car to mod if you're looking for a well balanced, economical, and all around fun car.

Good choice, IMHO...although I'm a muscle/classic car guy. :D

Juggalo
04-21-2004, 10:57 PM
maggot..i have a 1990 CRX. its for sale too. runs good and drives like shes brand new! theres like 3 small rust spots but nothin major. i need to get rid of it so i can fix my quad. only 800 bucks! interested? pm me for more info

BTW- CRX's are one of the funnest cars ever to drive

RMX500
04-22-2004, 01:10 AM
to the above who replied to my post:

no offense but you don't know anything if you think the CRX is a quick, pro-handling machine that has ANY sort of performance. It's ONLY goo quality is potential for a lightweight tuning platform.

CRX's are slow, and are bare-bones cars with cheap materials, cheap suspension, huff N' puff engines, typical small and restrictive exhaust.

if it were anything but honda.. it would have never been noticed in the tuning market. the fact it holds a honda motor is the only reason it ever had exposure to serious tuning.

say if the EXACT car were made under the name Chrysler for example.. and the motor was a chrysler motor... it would NEVER be a tuning car even if it was exactly the same.

TORO1968
04-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Its kind of funny that a bone stock CRX can out-handle most Ferarris though... ;)

Have you ever seen one of these on a track? No one ever said these cars are lightning quick or anything, but they are and extremely well-balanced car, which means they're hella fun to drive! :)

quadrcr161
04-22-2004, 08:02 AM
to the above who replied to my post:

no offense but you don't know anything if you think the CRX is a quick, pro-handling machine that has ANY sort of performance. It's ONLY goo quality is potential for a lightweight tuning platform.

CRX's are slow, and are bare-bones cars with cheap materials, cheap suspension, huff N' puff engines, typical small and restrictive exhaust.

if it were anything but honda.. it would have never been noticed in the tuning market. the fact it holds a honda motor is the only reason it ever had exposure to serious tuning.

say if the EXACT car were made under the name Chrysler for example.. and the motor was a chrysler motor... it would NEVER be a tuning car even if it was exactly the same.

ok then what would you reccomend? fill us in? and what experience have you had around a CRX?

the CRX has been in several sanctions of racing since it was produced in the mid 80's. it was a choice for a lot of people because of the motor , weight and suspension platform. it might seem bare bone to some of you but Recaro racing designed the seats for the SI. in Europe the CRX has leather, power windows, power folding mirrors, a full glass roof. a lot of options that were never offered here even in newer cars. as always the US get the ****ty version of all imported cars. you my friend know nothing about the crx.

JustRace
04-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by TORO1968
Its kind of funny that a bone stock CRX can out-handle most Ferarris though... ;)

I pray to god you are kidding. :confused:

Toadz400
04-22-2004, 01:19 PM
My sister's bf has a CRX and so does his brother. Both of theirs fall apart all the time, but when they are running they are real fun cars. It seems to me they are poorly made in a lot of departments like engine and transmission.

CRX's are fun because they are small manual cars that are fun to mess around with, and are quick in stock form. Abe (my sis's bf) was going to mod the car out, but bought a Celica. His only regret about buying the Celica is that there are barely any aftermarket parts out for it. Those things are pretty fast and handle pretty good.

RMX500- you need to stop posting, all your latest posts that I've seen of yours you seem to be saying false information that you don't seem to know anything about. You're just going to get yourself into a lot of trouble lieing on this sight, just ask that one NCRedneck kid:blah:

CRX's are fast cars stock, just not THE fastest. For their price, they are a pretty decent car and there are plenty of aftermarket parts for them. I wouldn't bash something that you know nothing about...just a word of advice.

Juggalo
04-22-2004, 03:29 PM
first lemme say my CRX is not fast by any means. but for what it is i'd say its hella fast. for that little 4 banger its got in it it moves pretty good. and it handles like its on rails. its crazy how good this car handles.

TORO1968
04-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
I pray to god you are kidding. :confused:

Actually, no. :)

RMX500
04-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
ok then what would you reccomend? fill us in? and what experience have you had around a CRX?

the CRX has been in several sanctions of racing since it was produced in the mid 80's. it was a choice for a lot of people because of the motor , weight and suspension platform. it might seem bare bone to some of you but Recaro racing designed the seats for the SI. in Europe the CRX has leather, power windows, power folding mirrors, a full glass roof. a lot of options that were never offered here even in newer cars. as always the US get the ****ty version of all imported cars. you my friend know nothing about the crx.

What do I recommend? First off I don't really recommend any barebones car like a civic if you want factory performance. If you really like Civic's then the only one's really tune-worthy or race-worthy without the need of an engine swap, powertrain overhaul and suspension investment would be a later model Civic Si or SiR.

Other great handling cars are the GK Style Tiburon, 96+ Ford Probe / Mazda MX-6, Acura Integra GSR, 02+ Nissan Sentra SE-R etc...

As far as older cars go, you can have a lot of fun with a bluebird or SR20 swapped 240SX.

Then again the CRX is dirt cheap and just plain dirty really. I'm not into the whole teenage idea of glorifying ****ty stock import cars. I'm a tuner and I also stay away from mainstream projects like base model honda and acura's.

Anyone saying a CRX handles like a Ferrari is 5% correct. At 5mph they handle about the same. After that... c'mon already.

quadrcr161
04-22-2004, 10:30 PM
What do I recommend? First off I don't really recommend any barebones car like a civic if you want factory performance. If you really like Civic's then the only one's really tune-worthy or race-worthy without the need of an engine swap, powertrain overhaul and suspension investment would be a later model Civic Si or SiR.

Other great handling cars are the GK Style Tiburon, 96+ Ford Probe / Mazda MX-6, Acura Integra GSR, 02+ Nissan Sentra SE-R etc...

As far as older cars go, you can have a lot of fun with a bluebird or SR20 swapped 240SX.

Then again the CRX is dirt cheap and just plain dirty really. I'm not into the whole teenage idea of glorifying ****ty stock import cars. I'm a tuner and I also stay away from mainstream projects like base model honda and acura's.

Anyone saying a CRX handles like a Ferrari is 5% correct. At 5mph they handle about the same. After that... c'mon already.

you have got to be one huge rice boy. i figured it since you kept saying "tuner". i love how you dog a civic then say the new SI or SIR is build worthy. you do realize the new minivan SI is heavier and has less performance potentional. the motor in the SI is a down graded version of the new K-series in the RSX and it has a restrictive exhaust like every other car produced (like you stated earlier) and the 99-00 SI with the b16 is an ok car, but the B-16 is not the best motor out there. :rolleyes: and the SIR isnt even available in the US.

actually in solo II a stock CRX is very competative against a stock GSR. i have never really seen any of the cars you mentioned show up stock and do well at any SCCA events, except the older SER's. how many track events have you been to? a local instructor just sold his supra for a b-series CRX to use for teaching and to use as his track car, he is the local SCCA pres. he picked it because of its speed and handeling.

the CRX is "cheap" because its an old car and if kept up and in good shape well it is a fun car to drive. when i bought mine a few years ago it was in mint condition and it is still in very good shape with no rips in the interior and its still stock, no body kit. no huge wheels, nothing.

your a tuner huh? what do you tune? your profile says you were born in 85 so your 19 or 20? which means your a poser or a bandwagon rider swapping over to the drift scene. how many track events have you been to? how many motors have you been in? out of my friends that own CRX's i am the youngest at 25, none have any body kits or any of the rice boy stylings. 2 of them are honda techs with over 20 yrs experience each and one of the techs is a teacher at a local college now and a builder of several road race cars. check him out at holy smoke racing (http://www.holysmokeracing.com) he is a real motor builder for actual race teams.

i have been racing locally and at nationals since 92, at 12 yrs old. before i graduated high school i work at a race shop building suspension for all types of racing. i have worked on everything from a dwarf car, sprint car, limited late model to a drag car. ive done my own motor swap, hand build my air bag mounts and 4 link for my air bagged mintruck. im not just a poser or a bandwagon rider. either list any experience you have or i will just write you off as a little rice boy running off at the mouth with a filter on a stick and a 4inch exhaust. have a nice night.

crux131
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Crx's are very good cars. Well balanced, quick for an economy car, and actually quite spaciouse for a small two seater.

Is it the fastest car, no. I enjoy mine though, so whatever.

I hate the word tuner....no one really tunes cars anymore...they just buy stuff, and throw it at the cars.

Mazda makes several cars that perform well, mx3, mx6( what ford liked to call a probe ), the protege, and the 323 gtx(awd turbo).

These are just some of the cars that they did well.

Hyundai??? I'm not familiar. the new tib looks a lot better than the older ones( fugly )....and I give them credit for the design...heard it was nice.
Not much aftermarket support for it though.

The Nissans, ah yeah. I like the sentra ser's, fun cars.
The 240's, quite capable......with a swap....the truck motor really killed the US version(it is the same block used in the hardbody by the way).

Any car is capable if you throw enough money at it. The crx's advantage is a good base, and available aftermarket parts, as well as much interchangeability with other Honda platforms.

The reason a lot of these are falling apart is poor upkeep, I bought mine with 236000 on it, and it ran perfect. It was beat up, but it was also 11 or so years old....fair trade.

I by no means believe that the Honda platforms are king....I'm not a moron, but they are good starting points for front wheel drive cars. The original poster wanted some info, and some opinions, so here they are...haha. It is a fun car in stock form, but you will get you *** handed to you in drag races...unles you race crappy cars. Handles great stock, very fun in some tight turns.

By the way, the 240 with an sr20 is almost as much of a "mainstream project" Than any Honda. The rear wheel drive is an advantage definately though.....but these only got real popular when trendies discovered initial d and drifting...woo hoo, who cares. It is capable, and very powerful after a swap, but not my style.

Oh, and about the b16 motor. It is a good motor, but all the cheap ones, are first gen(1991), and are just plain old and need going through before insallation usually. It is often reffered to as a torqueless whore(lol) by even newer civic si owners. The b18's are a lot better in the torque and powerband, making them funner to drive.

RMX500
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
racing since 12.. LMAO.

You know what you need to check yourself real good. You kids seem to think watching 2Fast2Furious makes you bad. You don't know ANYTHING about cars. ANYTHING. You probably just hang around rice boy sites. And yes I said you KIDS. I don't care if you're 25 because you sound like a 15 year old. It doesn't matter how old you are I've seen your type as old as 30. You think you know something but you don't. Just because you hang out at a track where people race crappy *** cars on the weekends after the pro's are done doesn't mean anything.

"your a tuner huh? what do you tune? your profile says you were born in 85 so your 19 or 20? which means your a poser or a bandwagon rider swapping over to the drift scene. how many track events have you been to? how many motors have you been in?

Drifting is best left out of north america, i've been to probably over 100 track events, i've built 3 cars myself and own 2 right now that aren't even my daily drivers. I've driven 2 different CRX's. One tuned and one basically clean and stock. The tuned one obviously felt okay because it was worked over. It felt like a newer civic with a little less weight and some more power. The stock CRX is a piece of ****. It's a light barebones car with barebones parts and nothing worthy of any sort of performance accolade.

I don't drive **** cars and I don't give a crap for anyone who drops a fortune on a crap car. Civics suck, CRX's suck, neons suck, stock 240's suck, focus's suck, integra's are decent platforms in GSR form but otherwise suck, accord's are family sedans, 1JZ supra's are crap, 1-2 gen RX's are garbage.

sure CRX's are fun to drive.. so's a go-kart.. so's ANYTHING light really but why do YOU RICERS associate ease of handling at 30mph as something that reflects performance?

You want to know what's fun boy? Ferrari Enzo. Lamborghini Gallardo, McLaren F1 fast cars. Too much money?

Nissan Skyline, 350Z, Toyota Supra 95+, 93+ RX7 TT, lancer evolution.

Still too much?

Civic Si (there's a reason why magazines do tuning competitions on Si's and not ****ty CRX-boxes), GK Tiburon, Mazdaspeed Protoge.

See a pattern? cars that ARE fast or performance built or cars that ARE actually decept performing.

CRX's are great if you remove everything that makes it a CRX.

And you call me a ricer. Please. What's next? Neon's kick ***?

RMX500
04-22-2004, 10:59 PM
and if you want to carry this out and take shots at me or say I don't drive anything I'll spill it for you right now what I own.

97' Probe GT
01' LS V8
96' Civic EX - and it will NEVER see a tuning part or be called a peformer

crux131
04-22-2004, 11:32 PM
"sure CRX's are fun to drive.. so's a go-kart.. so's ANYTHING light really but why do YOU RICERS associate ease of handling at 30mph as something that reflects performance?"

WTF are you talking about....noone ever said they were the all out performance car, but we did say they were a good platform. Obviously the original poster was interested in them, so I gave honest opinions, and observations.

"Nissan Skyline, 350Z, Toyota Supra 95+, 93+ RX7 TT, lancer evolution.", nice cars, but out of most younger peoples price range....another reason the civic platforms make great start up platforms......most young people want to be flashy though, so the performance really doesn't matter to them.

"Civic Si (there's a reason why magazines do tuning competitions on Si's and not ****ty CRX-boxes), GK Tiburon, Mazdaspeed Protoge."
No, the reason they use these, is because they are newer, and not worn or in need of replacement parts. Also, it did have a stronger stock engine( that by the way debuted in the crx sir....oh and with a lot of those contest, Honda supplied cars, and even sponsored some of the shoot outs, as publicity for the si when re-released in 1999.

"sure CRX's are fun to drive.. so's a go-kart.. "
Ooooh, a street legal go cart...hmmm. Yeah, I'd say that is a fair comparison, and I had a ton of fun playing on gocarts growing up...so I guess that may be why I like it.

"You want to know what's fun boy? Ferrari Enzo. Lamborghini Gallardo, McLaren F1 fast cars. Too much money?"

Let me know when youown one....:rolleyes:

" Just because you hang out at a track where people race crappy *** cars on the weekends after the pro's are done doesn't mean anything."

Gee, I guess you missed the scca part...this is organized amatuer racing....it is for all of us who don't have a silver spoon shoved up our......., but I have witnessed actuall race cars(While working as a corner worker, not just some schlub who sat in the stands....cars a mere 15 to 25 feet from my stand, passing at 100 plus mph.) on a national level track....everything from classic race vehicles at a historic racing event, to some retired Rolex cup winners, so I have seen fast, it just depends on what you want to pay to play....but there is nothing wrong with being at any level of the field, and if you think something is wrong with that, then your attitude sucks.

RMX500
04-23-2004, 07:11 AM
sorry but if you think there's a silver spoon in my ***, I put it there. And yeah I do plan to own an exotic. Obviously not anytime in the next 3 years but I'm happy with what I've earned now which is a lot more than most people have.

If they are still making Gallardo in 2008 for about the same price as now I plan to buy one, or pick up an 04 in about 4-5 years.