PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine Builder

Dave400ex
03-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Who do you think is the Best Engine Builder? I don`t know if I Listed them All, but I got the Best Ones. I like TC, but I would say Sparks is the Best. Duncan is Good too. What do you think?

NJ250Rrider
03-15-2002, 10:28 PM
You didn't say what motor! Duh an 400EX?

MacDizzy just built me a great 250R. I have run a few big name motors,they dont compare to a custom built job.

03-15-2002, 10:35 PM
<----------says it all

Chef
03-15-2002, 11:07 PM
I picked other...just cause mine is other and it's wasted all the others...

dawzie
03-16-2002, 04:57 AM
I voted other also. TMM from Tennesee built us a 440EX stroker for MX racing and it is awsome!! It has been flawless. We change the oil & filter every second race and had to adjust the valves only one time. The motor has like 10 races on it and countless practice hours. We just had it apart to check it over and did not find anything worn yet. It spec'ed out good as new!!:)

kabd69667
03-16-2002, 05:52 AM
I voted Curtis Sparks. He didnt' get voted engine builder of the year for nothing

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 08:44 AM
NJ250Rider, I don`t really Care what Motor it is. I just want to know which Engine Builder everybody thinks is the Best. Yeah, I do have a 400EX though.

I know there is Some I didn`t put on the List, but I could only put 10 Builders so I picked all the Big Named Ones. For the Guys that Vote Other, who did your Motor?

Leo
03-16-2002, 09:02 AM
you don't have Four Stroke Tech on your list..?

Leo

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Leo, did you see FST? That`s Four Stroke Tech.

Giz400ex
03-16-2002, 11:15 AM
All the companies are good!!! There isn't a best one but the only thing it barrels down to is "service'"!!! Now, a better question is who has better service???? and who is consistant in service.

shook
03-16-2002, 11:28 AM
Bud Fischer

03-16-2002, 01:00 PM
I had Mike Kinkaid at For Dirt Only here in Ohio build my motor, and it is awesome I have good power and the price is cheaper than the big name builders. Mike does just a good of a job and takes pride in his work. He also is great at customer service, anytime I call with a question he answers my question to the fullest so I can understand. Not that I'm an idiot or anything(DUHH?) but we all like to be talked to as important customer. Recently I bought shocks from TCS and before I bought them I also talked to Axis. When I called Axis some guy answered the phone like (UHH can I uhh help you) as soon as I heard that it was over for him. Besides the TCS's saved me $600 bucks. My point is as a customer I want someone explanatory that will take the time to answer my questions and let me in on some I haven't got to yet. Mike at FDO does great work and doesn't charge an arm and leg to do it. If anybody is going to build thier motor take the time and call Mike at FDO. The number is 740-967-1078. The best time to call is after 6:00 p.m. Thanks for your time, Protime

K_Fulk
03-16-2002, 01:46 PM
There all good engine builders. But the local guy that builds mine is just as good and only charges half as much. And hes been building motorcycle and atv engines for 20 some years.

stevengates45
03-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
I voted Curtis Sparks. He didnt' get voted engine builder of the year for nothing

exactly

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 02:57 PM
There are many Good Engine Builders. Bud Fischer is Very Good, and so are some of the the other Guys nobody knows about. Giz400ex is Right. Which Builder gives the Best Service? I think I have My List down to Three, Sparks, TC, or Duncan. I won`t Send my Engine Out, I will just Buy the Piston, Cam, and Stuff from Them. Which one out of those Three have the Best Piston, Cam, Porting, Carbs, Etc?

stevengates45
03-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Well if you want a port job, you'll have to send your motor out. But as far as who has the best port jobs..... Me & a friend(austin williams) talked to Cody's dad Cooney about TC's & Curtis Sparks port job & Austin had just got his 300 head in from Curtis Sparks & he ported it & we compared it to Codys 300 port job & the Sparks seemed to be a better port job, we all think that was the best port job we've ever seen. I know if you send your motor to get ported to a wrong company they can really mess it up when they port it. Theres a guy down here that had a 440 alky banshee that sent his motor to get ported at Port Magic & he wasnt happy at all with it. He was gettin beat by 350 banshees on alky by about 2 bike links. His bike was tricked out too, even on a lonestar frame, longer swing arm, CPI drag bikes. He finally just sold the bike.

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Well I won`t be Porting Mine. For XC Racing I really don`t need Porting. I`m just looking at a Piston, Cam, and Carb.

kabd69667
03-16-2002, 03:24 PM
You could get the Sparks more agressive drop in cam. I think they made it for xc. It's a little pricey at $350, but i dont' think your going to find a better drop in cam. I'm not sure what compression you want to run but they sell a JE 12.5 to 1 piston for $190. Since their way behind in their work, you could send you cylinder to like pro fab or wherever and get it done in a couple weeks max instead of being down for about 6 months. Then probably an FCR carb. Then would be a **** of a setup.

mrusk
03-16-2002, 04:12 PM
All of the shops listed about can but out a good product, also all atleast. Howevere for 2 strokes i have to say Dave Moore at MP RACING in salem oregon is the abosulte best. I am not having him do my motor because he is too backed up right now. I am going with a local guy called fastway. When it comes down to it i think your better off finding a local guy who knows his schit they going with one of the big companys. This is for 2 strokes tho. If i had a 4 stroke i would proably go with TC without a doubt.

matt

ChadEXer
03-16-2002, 04:51 PM
Who really knows who is the best???????????????? Everybody is going to have their own opinion

I voted TC:D

beerock
03-16-2002, 05:19 PM
curtis sparks,they had a four stroke shoot out over at atvsometing or other, and curtis sparks raptor and 400ex beat everybody.

making it a curtis sparks show down at the end.

the curtis sparks raptor smoked all the other raptors by 15 bike lengths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

other than him id have to say B+B!!

uz I have beaten others too with my B+B! ;)

Dave400ex
03-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Kabd69667, I have been Looking at the Sparks Aggressive Drop-In Cam. It`s $375 and you can keep your Stock Cam. I wonder if I sent Sparks my Stock Cam if he would take the Price Down? What am I going to do with a Stock Cam? I`m not sure on the Compression I want either. I know the Higher Compression would add more Torque. For XC Racing that Extra Torque would be nice to have. I`m not sure about that. I would have to run Race Gas. I could get the 104 Gas that my Brother is running right now. That would be ok because it`s just a Gas Station that carries it. It is $3.65 a Gallon though. I`m not sure on the Compression. I might Email Sparks in a little bit. Why would I send out my Cylinder? Just for Boring? I could have the Guy that is going to put My Motor together send it to a place that does all his Boring. TC told me I don`t need a Carb for XC, but I would like to get a 39mm FCR. It would still Add more Power. So this would be the Setup: Sparks JE 12.5 to 1 Piston, Sparks Aggressive Drop-In Cam, 39mm FCR Carb, and I would most likely get a Sparks Pipe. That`s one thing about My Engine Work, I already have a TC Pipe. I could Build a TC Motor too.

There are Many Local Guys that could Build a Great Motor. I also forgot GT Thunder. A lot of the Local Guys Build 2 Strokes. I don`t think anybody has the REAL Answer to who is the Best, but we can give reasons why we think they are Good. I think My Motor will be a TC or Sparks. I`m not sure yet. I already have a TC Pipe so TC might have a Little Lead.

kabd69667
03-17-2002, 06:53 AM
I assumed you were going to get a 416 right? If you are, that would be the only reason to send your cylinder out, for boring. Unless the guy doing your motor work could do it for you. GT Thunder makes a drop in cam that is fairly aggressive and it requires the core from your old cam. It's only $160 too. They also provide great service

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Yeah I would get a 416 Piston. The Guy that will put My Motor together has a place around here that does all his Boring. I would just have him send it to them and have them do it. I have heard a lot about the GT Thunder Cam. All the Guys say it`s for Mid-Top though. I want Bottom End. TC has a XC Cam that is made for XC Racing. I may end up getting that. It`s $175 Plus your Stock Cam. I don`t know what to do yet. I have to get my Chassis/Suspension done First.

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 05:31 PM
I thought some of the Guys on here Liked Pro Fab and CT. Guess Not.

kabd69667
03-17-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro Fab does great work, but they are a little high priced. I've talked to the guy down there several times, he seems like a nice guy who would make things right if somthing happened.

Dave400ex
03-17-2002, 07:03 PM
I know Pro Fab does Great Work. That`s why I am surprised they only have a Few Votes. Sparks is Way up there.

mysticfalcon
03-17-2002, 11:17 PM
I voted for four stroke tech since they can all build a good motor i think the service is the most important. Mickey Dunlop has come on here and was nice enough to answer our questions so that gives him my vote on service.

Dave400ex
03-18-2002, 04:41 PM
That was very Cool of Mickey to do that. I have heard Good things about Hetrick`s too.