PDA

View Full Version : Just rejetted.. Idle too high

James Parent
04-20-2004, 06:03 PM
OK sorry but recently ive been doing a lot with my quad and wanted to be 100% sure i was doing it right before i finished, but one thing

I just changed from a 170dj to a 160, didn't touch the fuel air mixture screw or the needle

i started the quad up and the idle is really high, i tried turning it down but it didn't do anything.. the Main jet holder fell out when i was rejetting, but i put that back in with the nut on the third thread.. anyone have any suggestions?

james

James Parent
04-20-2004, 06:08 PM
ok i just took it up and down my street in second gear and it seemed fine under load.. but sitting idle its weird..

also it seems like its at about 1/8 trottle just sitting there.. i just let out the clutch with no gas and it goes just fine

i changed the front sproket, clutch lever, and took the black box off of my handlebars since the last time i rode it, and it was fine

cals400ex
04-20-2004, 10:04 PM
see if you have any slack in your throttle lever?? if not, adjust it up by the bars where the cable goes in so you have 1/8 to 1/4 inch of slack

if that doesn't work, i would go down to the left side of your carb and turn the round silver skrew. you can turn it with a flat blade or with your hand. this is the idle adjustment.

AtvMxRider
04-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Sounds like the throttle cable is kinked somewhere. Check to make sure it is straight.

tinner
04-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, did ya get it fixed ??? I would check the cable too. Otherwise pull the cover off the side of the carb...see what the cam is doing along with the cable and idle screw.

James Parent
04-21-2004, 04:48 PM
ok this is what happend.. i changed my jet.. and the whole main jet holder fell out

so i posted on here how to put it back in.. got the right way and put it back in

well thats when it was high on idle, so i took the whole thing apart and cleaned it.. hooked it back up.. still high for idle

took it apart a third time and thats when i realized that the Needle jet was about 1cm farther down that it should have been.. the main jet holder wasn't holding it up in the carb properly.. ( dropping the Needle jet has the same effect as raising the needle a centimeters)

this is my first bike so i'm not sure how to do a lot of things, luckily this was a cheap/easy fix, just a little frustrating

I started it up and everything seemed perfect, too bad i couldn't take it out for a couple minutes before work... i'll do a wot test tomorrow and make sure everythings good

james

cals400ex
04-22-2004, 12:14 AM
how was the needle jet down a centimeter?? how many threads are showing on the needle jet holder when the nut is tightened down?? i didn't think the needle jet was adjustable unless you move the needle jet holder??

James Parent
04-22-2004, 06:20 AM
i tried taking the Main jet out, but the whole thing ended up coming out, and then when i put the carb down the needle jet fell out too, when i put it all back together i put the Main jet holder nut on the third thread from the bottom, i guess this was 1-2 threads not enough, and the Needle jet had a little room to fall down.. well thats just like raising the needle i guess

I'm going to put it all back together and start it again today, i started it last night for about a minute and it seemed fine
james

cals400ex
04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
so now your saying you only see about 2 threads on the needle jet holder when the nut is locked down?? i don't know this may work just fine. however, i know when my needle jet holder was skrewed in all the way, it was as slow as crap. it didn't have any misses or anything but was really really slow.