PDA

View Full Version : block passes

400EXracer74
04-20-2004, 04:51 PM
can 4 wheelers block pass like dirt bikes? i tried a few times last week but it didnt work too well. anyone got anything that can help?

dsracer666
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
if you try that your going to P.O some people and probably get run off the track. any one who trys to block me, I push!

Scottie Mac
04-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Yes blockpassing can be done on a quad, and if it happens to you, you left the door open. Its called racing, it happens. You as a racer has to go fast AND guard your line.

Scott

dsracer666
04-20-2004, 07:09 PM
rubbing is also racing. just cause your in front of me doesen't mean I slowing down, and I brake late. so if you ever find your self trying to purposly block some one like me you'll find your self in a haybail! Hay its just racing!

Scottie Mac
04-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Excuse me, but I though this was about "block passing" not blocking in general. And, LIKE I SAID, if someone block passes you, you should have either guarded your line better or rode better. It is a simply explanation, not an attack on your manhood.

Oh, and by the way, if you purposely run into someone because you aren't good enough to get around them, that IS a reason to get your ***** whipped.

Scott

outacontrol31
04-20-2004, 09:07 PM
i done it once and it was cool, ya just got to have a big turn and cut across the inside and take someones line away from them but if theres a jump that you have to take the berm to make and the just move over then your screwed cuase they will make and you won't, :rolleyes: o well hope this helps

Scottie Mac
04-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I think people are getting the wrong idea, you can block pass without making contact, it is simply blocking someone's course, causing them to slow down. And YES, I agree, you DO NOT do it anywhere near a jump. This is not the old days of bike MX where you block the guy completely over the berm. People got gubs nowadays! :eek2:

Scott

dsracer666
04-20-2004, 09:37 PM
any way I think its cheep! I've had alot of people block me when I was trying to pass and almost been hurt a couple of times.

scottie do you run the GNC?

ThumPIN_450R
04-20-2004, 09:50 PM
we got nerf bars for a reason and after a certain point there is one man who's been beat into the corner and needs to back off and try angain later and if it is the persone being passed he gets the nerf if you get t-bonde out of nowhere you got a right to be aggravated

Scottie Mac
04-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by dsracer666

scottie do you run the GNC?

Only when they are close. I used to race the National jet ski tour and got burnt out driving all over creation, so I limit my quad travels to a couple of hours. Keeps the wife happy and the costs down.

Scott

Pappy
04-21-2004, 06:35 AM
i got blocked passed by a bike a few weeks back on a a practice day. i was a little pissed as i didnt even know he was coming up behind me. i raced with him a bit and figured the next time he tried that chit id teach him a lesson. i dont mind racing but some of the crap bikes do just doesnt apply to quads riding with bikes. when he did block pass me the only thing that saved him was the shock of him being infront of me...i grabbed brakes. a split second later i would have been all throttle and he would have been run over...period.

KY Woods Rider
04-21-2004, 10:48 AM
As Pappy mentioned, there are some types of passes that you can do on a bike that simply aren't practical when riding quads. I raced MX on bikes for a couple years too, so I have experience with passing and getting passed on both quads and bikes.

On dirt bikes, if you can ever get a wheel in front of the other guy, you can start moving over and push him wide. If you leave him 6" worth of berm to ride on, he will be able to make the turn fine, but of course you've caused him to slow down and you get in front of him easily. Also, you can simply run straight across the inside, cut him off before he realizes you're there, he'll be startled and will instinctively grab the brakes, then you can lean the bike over and square the corner right in front of him, which will leave him eating roost (FYI, trying this manuever on a quad will usually end up with you getting T-boned, because quads don't stop or accelerate as quickly as bikes, and you'll be lucky if you can get out of his way before he nails you). However, these two methods work mostly because the other guy knows that if there's heavy contact, he's the one that's most likely to wind up on the ground, so when you start getting aggressive and cutting over toward him, he knows it's in his best interest to just let you go.

On quads, really the only two ways to make block passes are to have a line that already puts you in front of the other guy, or be passing a beginner that will freak out and just let you go past when you start trying to make an aggressive pass. On quads, the other rider knows that if there's contact, he isn't going to get knocked down, so he'll usually hold his line and just bump and bang with you. So sticking a wheel in front of him and then coming over like you're going to side-swipe him isn't going to work in most cases. If it's a beginner you're passing, then you can start moving over into him and he'll most likely freak out and let you past. Most block passes on quads occur when you have taken a much faster line that already puts you ahead of the other guy and then you simply move over in front of him to keep him from building up enough momentum to come back around you.

On bikes, the guy doing the passing has the advantage, because if there's contact, the guy that's getting passed usually gets the worst end of it. On quads, things are more equal, and it's often the guy that's doing the passing that's the most vulnerable. On a quad, if you're side by side and start bumping, you're on equal footing, with neither rider having any real advantage. If you're just about a half a quad length ahead of the other guy and start trying to push him over, the guy making the pass is the one that's most vulnerable and just has to hope the other rider is willing to let off and let him go. If the one doing the passing is only about a half quad length ahead and then starts moving over, if the guy that's getting passed is one of those who simply stays on the throttle and moves back over into the other rider a bit, the guy that was making a pass is likely to end up getting T-boned, spun out, or flipped over.

Scottie Mac
04-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
As Pappy mentioned, there are some types of passes that you can do on a bike that simply aren't practical when riding quads. I raced MX on bikes for a couple years too, so I have experience with passing and getting passed on both quads and bikes.

On dirt bikes, if you can ever get a wheel in front of the other guy, you can start moving over and push him wide. If you leave him 6" worth of berm to ride on, he will be able to make the turn fine, but of course you've caused him to slow down and you get in front of him easily. Also, you can simply run straight across the inside, cut him off before he realizes you're there, he'll be startled and will instinctively grab the brakes, then you can lean the bike over and square the corner right in front of him, which will leave him eating roost (FYI, trying this manuever on a quad will usually end up with you getting T-boned, because quads don't stop or accelerate as quickly as bikes, and you'll be lucky if you can get out of his way before he nails you). However, these two methods work mostly because the other guy knows that if there's heavy contact, he's the one that's most likely to wind up on the ground, so when you start getting aggressive and cutting over toward him, he knows it's in his best interest to just let you go.

On quads, really the only two ways to make block passes are to have a line that already puts you in front of the other guy, or be passing a beginner that will freak out and just let you go past when you start trying to make an aggressive pass. On quads, the other rider knows that if there's contact, he isn't going to get knocked down, so he'll usually hold his line and just bump and bang with you. So sticking a wheel in front of him and then coming over like you're going to side-swipe him isn't going to work in most cases. If it's a beginner you're passing, then you can start moving over into him and he'll most likely freak out and let you past. Most block passes on quads occur when you have taken a much faster line that already puts you ahead of the other guy and then you simply move over in front of him to keep him from building up enough momentum to come back around you.

On bikes, the guy doing the passing has the advantage, because if there's contact, the guy that's getting passed usually gets the worst end of it. On quads, things are more equal, and it's often the guy that's doing the passing that's the most vulnerable. On a quad, if you're side by side and start bumping, you're on equal footing, with neither rider having any real advantage. If you're just about a half a quad length ahead of the other guy and start trying to push him over, the guy making the pass is the one that's most vulnerable and just has to hope the other rider is willing to let off and let him go. If the one doing the passing is only about a half quad length ahead and then starts moving over, if the guy that's getting passed is one of those who simply stays on the throttle and moves back over into the other rider a bit, the guy that was making a pass is likely to end up getting T-boned, spun out, or flipped over.

Good explanation. Like I said, I am not talking about the old "run em high and off the track" block pass of dirtbikes. (see Kevin Windham) I am talking about taking someone's line away that did not guard against the pass. Unless you have an insanely fast quad, a lot of times this may be the only way to make a pass on the mx track, unless you go over them.

Oh, and Pappy, block passing in practice is just a d1ck move. Its called practice for a reason. I totally agree with you on that one.

Scott

Pappy
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
well normally it comes back to the quad haters. i dont mind as long as they dont cry when i slide 400 pounds of refrigerator over them.

hsr
04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
You see , the thing is you can take 3-4 dirtbikes wide in a turn, as opposed to maybe only 1.5 - 2 quads, width-wise. The block pass is a lot more applicable to bikes but if you have the oppurtunity to perform a block pass on a quad go for it! People get the misconception that a block pass is a take out move , but it's not. It's all about strategy and line choice...and like previously stated , if you get block passed, chances are you didn't have the best line, or you didn't protect your line well enough.

mmills023
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
In Texas at the Gilmer GNCC I had a guy hit me from behind and slammed me into the trees......this was on the practice track with people flagging everyone to slow down cause there was a wreck ahead, i slowed down this guy didnt and WHAMMMM......messed up my bumper and front left a-arm.....I would have understood if the guy said sorry...instead he says "Move"......i jumped off the quad and pointed ahead of me where there was a wreck, and to the person flagging people down.......he just hit the gas and left, while everyone else was stopped!!!! Idiot!!!

So i agree practice is just that.....practice!!!

Mike

hsr
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
The block pass also tends to come into play a lot more in supercross with tight, high banked berms. In the outdoors they are not as common.