PDA

View Full Version : Shock setting Ends Here

Hammer trx450r
04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be playing around with the settings too much!! We are telling everyone to loosen spring tension and some people are setting compression to soft!! Alittle dangerous to say the least. So here it is:
Loosen nuts at top of all shocks
Turn spring and second nut all the way up(leave 2 or 3 threads showing)
turn compression to H on all shocks (top screw)
turn rebound to H on all shocks ( bottom screw)

if it feels too stiff turn down compression one turn
if it feels like its bucking you off YOUR **** OUT OF LUCK(buy a new shock and link)

250rtone
04-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Here...here.....well said!! I was waiting for someone to finally say that.

jmoney45
04-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
If you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be playing around with the settings too much!! We are telling everyone to loosen spring tension and some people are setting compression to soft!! Alittle dangerous to say the least. So here it is:
Loosen nuts at top of all shocks
Turn spring and second nut all the way up(leave 2 or 3 threads showing)
turn compression to H on all shocks (top screw)
turn rebound to H on all shocks ( bottom screw)

if it feels too stiff turn down compression one turn
if it feels like its bucking you off YOUR **** OUT OF LUCK(buy a new shock and link)

I did EXACTLY this today and took it around our track. Huge difference. Felt like my old 400 with the PEPs and plus 2 a arms, only with way more power. It really makes a big difference in the turns. I left my compression about a half turn from H front and back, and rebound about a turn back from H front and full H out back. I only left 1 thread showing on preload front and back and it lowered it a good inch and a half. Poor man's way to great handling. My question is why didn't honda do this from the factory? I think doing this and putting different rear tires on would've made a big difference in the shootouts. Oh well.

fab41079
04-30-2004, 10:40 PM
I did it to mine tonight but havent rode it yet my buddy went with showing one thread i told him to take the advise of 2-3 but he wont listen its my 450r but he knows alot about everything on quads anyway he also turned compression to H and one turn back then the same with the rebound but he said it wasnt rebounding quick enough and turned it 2 more turns I dont know, what do u guys thing, just looking for some advise tks

fab41079
04-30-2004, 10:41 PM
also i weigh 190 lbs

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:03 AM
weight, height, riding style. and riding speed all play a role in these settings. EVERYONE is diferent!! My main concern is that everyone turns up the compression!! With loosening the spring you are softening the shock(setting it for a 80 lb rider). If you dont turn comp to H you will have a diving sensation that will bottom out under heavy braking. I don't need to tell you what happens then do i? It also affects a slide in tacky conditions, the shock will keep packing until it bottoms then the first little bump in the turn will catapult you. These settings are not just for jumping!! They change everything about the ride. Hope this clears it up alittle. Then when ya got it figured out go get elkas with SSD and realize what a quad is supposed to feel like.

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by fab41079
I did it to mine tonight but havent rode it yet my buddy went with showing one thread i told him to take the advise of 2-3 but he wont listen its my 450r but he knows alot about everything on quads anyway he also turned compression to H and one turn back then the same with the rebound but he said it wasnt rebounding quick enough and turned it 2 more turns I dont know, what do u guys thing, just looking for some advise tks

That is fine. The 2-3 threads is so the spring doesnt wiggle when fully extended. Maybe his spring didn't wiggle but most peoples did.

kazpr
05-01-2004, 05:25 AM
" My main concern is that everyone turns up the compression!!"
Where is the best setting for this you think for a 200lb dood? Starting point?

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by kazpr
" My main concern is that everyone turns up the compression!!"
Where is the best setting for this you think for a 200lb dood? Starting point?

how tall are ya? how fast are ya? what do you do with it?

kazpr
05-01-2004, 05:35 AM
5'10" Mx ride about average.

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:37 AM
i would probably start at 3/4 turn out from H and rebound about 1 turn out from H

kazpr
05-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Front and back? Thanks alot for the help!

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:44 AM
yes front and back

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 05:45 AM
and when u go out today dont just go crazy at first, kinda feel it out. Because i am no shock guru!! I just know how to make them work for me!!

05-01-2004, 02:14 PM
wtf do u mean its dangerous to set the shock to S? are you talking about the rear shock or all shocks? I set all mine to soft & loosened up the spring to the top of the shocks..I ride trails & only weigh 140 lbs. dangerous as in my shocks are gonna get messed up or as if I hit a big MX jump I will die?

Hammer trx450r
05-01-2004, 03:26 PM
your secret is 140 lb, your tiny ars couldnt bottom it out if you tried:D I would go softer if i only rode trails too!! and whats with the WTF?

WOracing
05-01-2004, 05:39 PM
When i was juumping today at my track, my setting flet fine....i left 3 threads left in both shocks and turned up compression one turn....this worked for me and i didnt touch rebound.:D

05-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Alittle dangerous to say the least. what is dangerous about it? the shocks gonna break or are you gonna crash or bend frame or something? i dont understand & it doesnt make sense to me what is dangerous about setting your shocks to soft

lukester720
05-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
wtf do u mean its dangerous to set the shock to S if I hit a big MX jump I will die?
If you have the preload almost all the way out and no compression you are going to land super hard. You could get hurt because it is kinda like not having shocks at all because there isn't really anything soaking up the blow. Does this make more sense?

Fuchs42
05-02-2004, 03:28 AM
I weigh about 160 and do MX. Im a pretty fast rider. my track is mostly big jumps and 2 rythms. WHat do you think for shock setup front and rear?

Hammer trx450r
05-02-2004, 05:20 AM
2 threads on shocks, 1 1/2 turn out on compression, one turn out on rebound. or maybe 1/2 turn on rebound

05-02-2004, 10:30 AM
it makes sense now but I dont ride MX or hit any jumps...i only ride trails

lukester720
05-02-2004, 10:13 PM
it makes sense now but I dont ride MX or hit any jumps...i only ride trails

Sorry, you confussed me because in the post I quoted of yours it said " so if I hit a big mx jump I will die?". If you only ride trails riding on soft setting they shouldn't cause you to wreck and die.

mascman
05-04-2004, 03:37 AM
I have a question for everyone who has had the TRX for some time now.

Do the shocks break in any as you ride it? Mine is right from the dealer with stock settings. It feels too stiff for woods riding, but I haven't messed with it yet.

Just curious as to whether they will loosen up a little.

Also, any setting suggestions for an experienced woods racer at 180lbs? It feels a little tippy to me right now, so I will back off on the preloaders to get it down a little. I'm putting my 23" Holeshots in the front so it will probably sit back at stock heigth though. Putting 22"s on the rear.

05-04-2004, 05:34 AM
I can notice a small difference only when I turn the adjustments all the way from hard or soft to the other side. Seems like these shocks might be fully adjustable but it doesnt seem to work that great for me

Hammer trx450r
05-04-2004, 05:52 AM
I can notice a small difference only when I turn the adjustments all the way from hard or soft to the other side. Seems like these shocks might be fully adjustable but it doesnt seem to work that great for me

you won't notice when you are drag racing a rancher and alittle trail riding. H isn't corvette and S a cadillac

05-04-2004, 11:20 AM
you won't notice when you are drag racing a rancher and alittle trail riding. H isn't corvette and S a cadillac ive been riding more than thsoe videos through some rough trails and stuff though...im going to hook my works 400ex front shocks up & see how they handle & if good then sell the 450r stock shocks...if not then ill sell the works shocks

mascman
05-04-2004, 05:06 PM
I mounted the 23's, backed all the preloaders to about 2 threads and set the clickers on the softest setting. I did that to front and back.

I put the 22"s in the rear and installed the 13t. It could use a little more gearing, but I'll leave it alone for awhile.

The more i ride it, the better it feels to me.

05-04-2004, 07:56 PM
i ride southwich and the practice tracks i ride are all woops what works for me is 3 threads on front with top and bottom 3/4 out, but out back i use 4 threads with the comp set only1/2 in and the rebound all the way hard. i'm 5'11 205 and ride ameture. this setting keeps me from going over the bars riding the woops hard and works great on breaking bumps. another good thing for me that i noticed at a smooth track with larg jumps is, to clear the jumps i had to be going faster than everyone else, :D but i did realy feel it if i came up short. hey you got to go out and try dif settings till you get it.

1fast450R
05-05-2004, 12:09 PM
What do you feel the best setting for me would be???
IM 5'10 155lbs, and i ride mostly trails... thanks for the help...

05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 1fast450R
What do you feel the best setting for me would be???
IM 5'10 155lbs, and i ride mostly trails... thanks for the help... your very close to me & I found that you should raise the spring with one ring left & turn everything to the S

mascman
05-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm heavier than you, but I put all the clickers to the softest setting. I have one full thread and then the top of the next thread showing on the spring preloaders.

I wonder if Honda has optional springs for lighter riders?

05-05-2004, 02:16 PM
even if honda had the springs you wouldnt want them....they would be really expensive for what you get....i'm gonna my shocks revalved by santo derisi again all the way around with his pro millenium kit if he can do it...maybe even ZPS?

WOracing
05-05-2004, 03:44 PM
I weigh 140 pounds and im 5' 7"...i have 3 threads left on my front and rear shocks and i turned compression and rebound all the way to H......i jump alot and i will let u guys know how it feels to me, cuz im lighter compared to you guys:)

250r/master3
05-05-2004, 05:12 PM
how do i set my 450 shocks for my weight i way about 130 135

lukester720
05-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 250r/master3
how do i set my 450 shocks for my weight i way about 130 135

You will need to get different springs, the ones on the R are for a heavier rider.

1fast450R
05-05-2004, 09:29 PM
I got my front preloads to turn but the back wont budge, how do i get it to loosen up???

lukester720
05-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Try using a hammer and a screwdriver it worked for me. Also have someone lift the rear end by the grab bar when your doing it. This will help alieviate the pressure the spring is putting on the spanner.

Santo DeRisi
05-06-2004, 06:46 AM
even if honda had the springs you wouldnt want them....they would be really expensive for what you get....i'm gonna my shocks revalved by santo derisi again all the way around with his pro millenium kit if he can do it...maybe even ZPS?

I am working on the Pro Mellennium kit for the TRX 450R now and hope to have it ready soon! I will have a MX kit and a XC kit available for it.

WOracing
05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
i did the settings that are at the beginning of this post...and now i land very smoothly and without bottoming....but it seems like that i get no height but all the distance i need, because the rebound is set all the way to H.....is this normal???? thanks in advance:)

brazilian rider
05-08-2004, 03:09 AM
can you tell us the price?

05-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
i did the settings that are at the beginning of this post...and now i land very smoothly and without bottoming....but it seems like that i get no height but all the distance i need, because the rebound is set all the way to H.....is this normal???? thanks in advance:) YES! this is what i discribed earlier ,when you take a jump your shocks are not letting the springs release to "bounce" you upward. if you need to you can preload your susp on the face of the jump. it works great and your in more controll:cool:

Colby@C&DRacing
05-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Another option is to send them to C&D Racing and get my triple rate with ssd conversion for the front shocks and a dual rate with ssd for the rear. I have been racing gncc and some other harescramble series with this setup and have been really happy with they way these shocks are performing. :)

rap169
05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
what does that cost form C&D ?? How long is the turn around?

Colby@C&DRacing
05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
THe full kit installed front and rear with all the mods and machining done is $500 parts and labor. The turn around is about two days as long as you call ahead of time so that I can have the springs here and I can machine the spring platforms.

jmoney45
05-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
THe full kit installed front and rear with all the mods and machining done is $500 parts and labor. The turn around is about two days as long as you call ahead of time so that I can have the springs here and I can machine the spring platforms.

I didn't realize you had this for the 450R yet. Very cool and is going on my list of upgrades this year.

DoctorRags
05-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing

Is the kit just the springs, or a complete rebuild?

dreth
05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
i ride mx also and my springs are all the way out, my compression is all the way soft ,my rebound is all the way soft front and rear. im 160 lb and very aggressive rider . this may not be right but its the best for me so far . and yes as soon as i can afford it i will get elkas.

dreth
05-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 911
YES! this is what i discribed earlier ,when you take a jump your shocks are not letting the springs release to "bounce" you upward. if you need to you can preload your susp on the face of the jump. it works great and your in more controll:cool:

how do you set preload on face of jump?

joe1l
05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Another option is to send them to C&D Racing and get my triple rate with ssd conversion for the front shocks and a dual rate with ssd for the rear. I have been racing gncc and some other harescramble series with this setup and have been really happy with they way these shocks are performing.
Hey, I have the Rear link setup from GT Thunder and I love it!!! I was thinking of getting my front shocks redone now. Do you know if that triple rate conversion that you do would work well with my rear setup?
Joe