PDA

View Full Version : A few 250x Questions

03-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Well, this is my first post here in the ATV forums, just getting back into riding after quite awhile. My past quads have been, 87 Suzuki lt230s, Honda 350x, and Suzuki Quadracer LT250r. I just purchased a 87 250x that I am in the process of rebuilding from the ground up. The frame is powdercaoted, new bearings, shocks, piston, rings, holeshots, douglas rims, breaks, renthal bars, yada yada. I still need to get plastic, and a few other odds and ends.

Ive been reading in the posts that in 87 the 3rd gear was weak and needed to be fixed and that there is a way to tell if it has been fixed, and if it has lasted 14 years, it should be ok right??

My concern is that I really want to put a 295 or 350 kit in it, Im going to be riding with raptors, ds650, and 2 400exs. And if the gear is going to go out, I'm sure with the extra power it will very soon, so I need some options on what to do. 350x conversion is possible but not my favorite choice. Will the tranny be able to handle the extra power???

Also, who makes these kits, like 350, and 295 that run on PUMP gas, Profab's looks nice, but i dont want race fuel. Fourstroke tech, I onle see 396 stroker on the website, do they make a 295 and how much? Powroll, they seem too expensive to me, ???

Just basic thoughts and opinions would be great, thanks guys. Rx~

moto93
03-16-2002, 01:37 PM
If I were you I'd check out Ritter Cycle(http://www.rittercycle.com/honda.htm). They have a 352 stroker and I'm sure he can do whatever you have in mind. Rick does great work and it gets done on time.

As for your tranny question, when you have to motor down I would replace it just to be on the safe side. I had an '87 that I never had a problem but my Brother-in-Law's went out on his. The trannys are pretty tough and will handle the extra power just fine. It's the oil pump you'll have to keep an eye on. They tend to loose teeth on the drive gear.

And if you ever decide to sell the stock front wheels off your '87 let me know! I want a set to try on our Recon.

Hope this helps,