PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

HondaMan222
04-20-2004, 09:32 AM
when i start it up it puffs some smoke. but thats the only time it does it. what wrong?

woprs50
04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
could be valve guide seals

beak7707
04-20-2004, 10:53 AM
I agree I would say it's in the head. I'd replace the valves seals and guides.

HondaMan222
04-20-2004, 06:07 PM
how much are those to replace, and how much work would it take, and if i rode this weekrnd woud it hert it?

thanks

COOTERGUY
04-20-2004, 06:28 PM
SOUNDS LIKE VALVE SEALS TO ME, GUIDE USUALLY WOULDN'T WEAR OUT THAT FAST. PLUS YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE HEAD OFF TO EVEN REPLACE THE SEALS AND YOU CAN CHECK THE VALVES FOR PLAY THEN TO SEE IF THE GUIDES ARE BAD OR NOT. YOU COULD ALSO HAVE THE CARB LEAKING BY WHEN IT IS SETTING STILL AND CAUSING FUEL TO PUDDLE ON TOP THE PISTON THEN SLOWLY BURN UP WHEN STARTED VERY COMMON IN RACE CAR ENGINES. JUST EXACTLY WHAT COLOR OF SMOKE IS IT? WHITE IS OIL, GREY IS USUALLY FUEL, AND BLUE BEING THE WORST IS BEARINGS OR WEARING METAL. BESIDES HAVING TO PULL THE HEAD AT LEAST SEALS ARE ONLY LIKE A @1.35 EACH

KY Woods Rider
04-20-2004, 06:45 PM
If it only smokes for a few seconds when you start it, it's probably just valve seals. What happens is you shut the quad off, the seal lets a little oil leak past, the oil runs down the valve, then there's a bit of smoke from the burning oil when you start the engine. If you don't mind a little smoke at start-up, a leaking valve seal won't a thing and I wouldn't pull the head just to replace the valve seals.

HondaMan222
04-20-2004, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by COOTERGUY
[B] RACE CAR ENGINES. JUST EXACTLY WHAT COLOR OF SMOKE IS IT?

it looks like the color when u first start it up and its cool so sorta grayish

thanks alot for helping