PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Fix A Squeaky Suspension?????

FoxRacer400ex
03-15-2002, 03:45 PM
My suspension is really squeaky and it doesnt seem to be performing as well as it used to. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

honda400zx
03-15-2002, 05:02 PM
wat i did was sprayed wd 40 in the joints between the a-arm and the shock on the bottom and the top but you have to do like once a week.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-15-2002, 05:48 PM
....took mine off and greased em'....i took the whole front end off one day and greased everything real good....the shocks come off easy..just throw a block under the frame and go at it...

440EXR
03-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Yea take them apart and grease them or buy aftermarket arms with grease zerks before I changed over I did a grease every 2 weeks kept everthing in great shape and I ride XC with mud sand and water WD 40 will only stop it for a short while and do a great job of removing any grease you do have in there:D

smokin01'400
03-15-2002, 08:15 PM
my rear swing arm pivot bolt makes this tettible cracking or a break like sounding noise when you push the suspension down in the rear. i put tephloc lubricate on the rusted bolt and it works good for 5 mins then back to normal..this is the bolt that runs through the front of the swingarm and goes in the back of the case of the block. should i get a new pivot bold ot what? how hard is it to install? and my Ohlin shocks that i got on the front make this terrible sounding noise too..like a moaning noise like they are dry.. but the posts are wet and have plenty of clear colored oil in them. I dont know how to fix this prob. should i spray some stuff on them? please help.

CHAR250R
03-16-2002, 07:55 AM
LUBRICATION. METAL ON METAL IS NOT GOOD. DRY BUSHINGS ARE NOTORIOUS SQUEAKERS. LIKE THE PREVIOS GENTLEMEN SAID: GREASE THAT WEASEL!

cdalejef
03-16-2002, 01:46 PM
smokin01, sounds like your needle bearings in the swingarm are shot. Replace them now or you run the risk of damaging your swingarm!

NJ300ex
03-16-2002, 01:51 PM
grease the swingarm pivot bolt with loads of anti sieze.

smokin01'400
03-16-2002, 02:01 PM
i tried to take the pivot bolt out today to grease it and check things out.but i took the nut off and the bolt wouldnt come out. It was like welded in there..i tried turning the bolt out with a socket..wouldnt so it..it doesnt make that cracking noise anymore since i turned the bolt a little but..its all rusted and the bearings prolly should be replaced when i get it all apart.

03-16-2002, 02:11 PM
weld a peice from one end of the shock to the other.no suspension movement no squeaks.yeah.im a jack ***.im going back to my cage

smokin01'400
03-16-2002, 02:18 PM
but then id have a black and blue ace...anyone know how to get that darn bolt out without pounding the darn thing with a hammer? i dont want to mess the threads up on the nut side of it. later

cdalejef
03-16-2002, 02:27 PM
smokin01, sounds like the old bolt frozen in the sleeve trick. I once had to drill off both ends of the bolt so the swingarm would slide out of the frame. Then the bolt and sleeve slid out of the swingarm. I had to buy a new bolt from Honda and a Pivot Works bearing kit (comes with sleeve, seals, washers and bearings) to replace everything.
Like NJ300ex use lots of anti sieze on the bolt, and a good grease like BelRay on the bearings and seals.

smokin01'400
03-16-2002, 02:48 PM
when i have my quad all apart in 2 weeks or so..i will order all the stuff and replace them after my swingarm gets painted..now for my next question that hasnt been answered yet...my front ohlins with rezzies arent adjustable and they are really hard..can i loosen the spring a little bit with a spanner wrench to ease up on the shock and get some smoothness from them instead of whiplash style landings from a small jump? i dont really want to get them revavled cause i hate being without a quad for 3 weeks but if so i will send them out with my stock rear to get done..where could i send them all? who deals with ohlins revavling besides well....ohlins? later andrew

cdalejef
03-16-2002, 02:56 PM
You can either loosen the preload rings or, move the clip holding the threaded ring up a couple notches.
We can rebuild your shocks in a 2 day turn around.

smokin01'400
03-16-2002, 03:01 PM
which one is the preload ring? the top or the bottom ring at the top of the spring? or is the top one a lock nut type thing....and what do you mean the clip that hlds the threaded ring to move it up a notch? lol...thanks alot for helping me...and you will be able to get my shocks back in 2 days? wow..how much..i dont want to loose my wallet. :D you can do my ohlins and stock rear?

cdalejef
03-16-2002, 03:14 PM
The top nut is a lock nut. Set the quad on a stand and then loosen the ring thats against the spring. That will soften them up. To adjust the clip, grab ahold of the spring and push down on it, there will be a ring thats sitting in a knotch just underneath the threaded part of the body, move the ring up into the next groove or even more groves to soften them up.
We can do the front and rear shocks for you. Once we receive your shocks it takes about 2 days to ship them back out unless you need a new shaft.
Call us monday for pricing 502-243-0193.

smokin01'400
03-16-2002, 03:17 PM
hey thanks alot man..thats what i will do tom and i will let you know about them..maybe if its a noticeable difference i will only send you my rear. later

ride300exred
03-16-2002, 09:13 PM
hey jeff Can you do 300ex shocks too how much of a improvement does it make ?

cdalejef
03-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Sorry ride300, You can't rebuild front or rear 250x/300ex shocks.

ride300exred
03-17-2002, 09:54 AM
Oh that sucks
O well thanks anyways :devil