View Full Version : Steering Dampner help

ZSK
04-19-2004, 08:18 PM
I got a denton stabilizer a little while ago out of the forsale section. It mounted to the frame fine, but the steering stem it was loose. I made a bushing to take up the extra space. Cut a peice of tube in half that fit perfect inside of the steering stabilizer clamp and on the outside of the steering stem. It works great when used on the lower settings but if I turn it up higher the clamp slips. All of the bolts are as tight as I can get them but it still slips. Can I drill a hole through the clamp and the steering stem and screw in a self tapper, to hold it in one place? Without compromising the stem itself? Here's a pic of how I've got it mounted:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/p67b7ddaafc5025f92ce35a089aa243d7/f93277c0.jpg

04-19-2004, 09:38 PM
mine doesnt mount like that.......mine mounts to the frame in front to the left of the stem...rico has a picture of his he may post it..he usually does on these

ZSK
04-19-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm not concerned about the mount to the frame, that's fine. Where it mounts to the steering stem, the clamp is too big for the steering stem.

skidaddyjr
04-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Dude can you not grind the clamp where it splits apart just enough where the two halves dont touch when tightened pretty tight. I notch my shifter levers this way.

ZSK
04-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Even if I did grind it down the clamp still doesn't have enough pressure to keep it from slipping.

skidaddyjr
04-19-2004, 10:34 PM
You can weld a piece of thin flat steel to the stem as long as you make sure you get the same angle off the clamp as the bracket ,just run your welder kinda cool the stem has fairly thick walls. We welded the tabs like that back in the day and VW steering stabilizers ($10)

skidaddyjr
04-19-2004, 10:39 PM
No pun intended ,but you did make shure the damper doesnt bottom out or hit a stop before the stem makes its full swing stop to stop.

ZSK
04-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Yes I made sure. There's about half an inch extra when turning right, and about an inch turning left.

skidaddyjr
04-19-2004, 11:43 PM
About the only other thing to do is try to find another clamp, if you dont want to weld on it.I think a screw or small bolt wouldnt last an hour or so of hard riding.I'd probly try finding somebody with a welder to spot you a 3/4" by about 2" piece of flat stock to the stem at angle. A stem is about $47.00 if you just go crazy with a hammer on it!.