PDA

View Full Version : R6 battery

Got nads?
04-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Anybody run one of these, and what mods did you have to do to use it, if any?

Pappy
04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
you have to trim out some of the plastic in the battery tray. thats about it.

get a trail tech rectifier also

Got nads?
04-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Do you think that it better than just the yuasa stock replacement?

Pappy
04-19-2004, 07:48 PM
it offers more cranking power...thats always a plus. but its up too you if you want to be cutting the tray area up.

Got nads?
04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Any other options? I'd almost rather do the kickstart thing, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now.

Quad18star
04-19-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking of switching again ..... Today I go to start up the 450 and battery was DEAD . Makes me mad . It was good for about 2 months then dead again .

LostCause439
04-19-2004, 08:59 PM
What are you guys doing to these things, my Yfz gets used constantly and so do all my friends that have them and we havent had any batteryproblems, are you guys leaving the ignition or lights on?

Got nads?
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Hey lost cause! I dont have lights on mine, the stock rectifier is crap on the YFZ450!

tprender
04-20-2004, 07:51 PM
The word that I got this weekend while at Loretta Lynn's from talking to a few people is that the stator is set up to run with out the battery. so what that means is that it is not charging the battery most of the time. So to get it to charge, you mush run or ride with the lights on all of the time. If you don't have the light on the quad, have the stator modifited by someone light Ricky Stator and you will also need to get a differtent rectifier then. Yamaha will not amit that there is a problem but they are looking into it at the present time. Bottom line is to run with the light on all of the time.

Pappy
04-21-2004, 07:37 AM
ok, this is straight from trailtech and it kind of explains how thier rectifier is better then the stock one on the yfz. the yfz stator is set up differently then say a 400ex or raptor due to the high reving capabilities of the engine. this is similiar to the systems used on some high end street bikes.
------------------------------------------------------------
from trailtech:

Full Wave rather then half wave.
a half wave rectifier will not regulate the stator while the lights are off. the voltage floats high on a half wave (over 14v) which damages the batteries. Full Wave rectifiers eliminates this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------

this would explain why running the headlights seems to help prevent some of the issues but not all of them. i geuss that once the battery is fried the rectifier is next and that would explain why even after a replacement battery is installed it also fails in short order.

i know of a member that has used 4 of these units to see if they fix the yfz problem. out of 4 yfz's all had the battery issue. nothing else was changed other then the rectifier and all 4 have failed to have further issues.

Got nads?
04-21-2004, 08:43 PM
thanks