PDA

View Full Version : softening back shock up

Manny55
04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Now i heard that if you soften the back shock up it helps keep the front end down. Is this true? If it is how do you adjust it to soften it. Does it say in the owners manual how? If it doesn't help keep the front end down, then what does softening the back shock do?

Pappy
04-19-2004, 06:34 PM
it will help to a point. by allowing the rear shock to compress the energy is applied differently and it doesnt send the front end to the moon.

take out almost all the preload on the shock and adjust the compression and rebound to suit your riding style

Manny55
04-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Ight, i need as much help trying to keep that front end down as i can get without buying a swingarm for now. Is feathering the clutch a better idea in a drag or would leaning foward be a better idea or tapping the back break when dragging.

Pappy
04-19-2004, 06:44 PM
feathering the clutch at the start of a drag race or any race is damn near an art form. it is about the only way to get consistant launches and keep as much power coming on without riding a wheely to the first turn....or the finish line in your case.

just keep practicing and id still let of some pre load.

Bretmd94
04-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Manny are you draggin on sand?

With my 450r I get pretty far up on the tank, lean forward, and rev and drop in 1st gear (stock gearing). If you want to slip the clutch launch in 2nd but i wasnt able to increase my drag times any.

I usually run 5psi in the rear for all around duning. But if you want to get the most out of dragging run 1.5-3 psi. the more air you let out the more traction you have. Also having 8 inch rims in the dunes helps a ton in dragging as well as some decent haulers, or STU padla brats. They really kill cornering, but for me killing my freinds lightly modded banshees and raptors is well worth it.

Back to launching, moving up on the tank is a must. If your not getting enough traction you can always let more air out untill the tires are gripping when you drop the clutch.

Also dont let off the throttle when shifting. Theres a rev limiter and it works. It will rev up to it in that fraction of a second and give you a nice boost when the clutch is released rapidly.

Most of the things i talked about are jsut tips for dragging a close to stock quad. things change with more mods.

Manny55
04-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Yes i race in the sand bret! I don't have stock gearing i have a 13 in front so maybe it would be easier for me to start in second. I have 20x10x10 8 paddle Skat Trak extremes pretty much the same as the hauler except the paddles are thick which means more traction. I already have 10 inch rims. Now does starting in second keep the front end down, what are the plus starting in second. I also have an lrd full exhaust system on it. I also have a k&n but that doesn't do to much. The next thing im gonna get is an HRC cam. Oh by the way where do you usually ride in Oregon. I go to sand lake a lot, thats the only dunes i have been to in oregon. I want to make it out to Christmas Valley this summer hopefully.

Bretmd94
04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Having the extreme paddles will make up a bit for not having the 8 inch rim. Starting in second would be your preferred choice if it doenst bog down. Really depends on a lot of things, but in the sand being up on the tank is worth it. My only experience with extremes is my freinds 88hp banshee. They should have more grip than you will ever need. 10 inch rim or not. I would try to get the bike to launch in second.

I always ride at Coos Bay. The best dunes in Oregon in my opinion. Winchester Bay has the biggest hills, but its small. I have yet to go to christmas valley.