PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Kit For 250EX

JStylz0383
04-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey I was surfing the web, and came across a nitrous kit for single cylinder engine that are 250cc's. I was just wondering: 1.) Can and should it be done? and 2.) What has to be done to the internals of the engine to handle the nos if any? Thanks... Ace

MichaelS693
04-19-2004, 05:53 PM
no offense but... tisk tisk tisk.. just plain stupid:( ... theres no way in hell i would put nitrous on a 250ex... no point in it? its just cheap hp.. dont get me wrong i strongly belive in nitrous cause you know i do drag racing.... but not on a 250ex thats just a no no:D :)

wilkin250r
04-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Nitrous can easily be used to produce horsepower on demand, without severely sacrificing the reliability of the motor. Just don't get too radical with it and try to get 60hp from your little 250EX.

There's nothing that needs to be done to the internals, as long as you RESEARCH nitrous and know what you are dealing with. (I cannot emphasize that enough) Learn how and why nitrous works, the basic components, and how to install your kit, and how to adjust your nitrous mixture.

Like any HP increase, the amount of work and modifications you need to do depend largely on the amount of increase you are looking for. If you keep it to mild-moderate levels, you won't need any modifications other than the installation of the nitrous kit. However, if you are looking for HUGE gains, you will need to do major internal modifications to handle the extra stress.

wilkin250r
04-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
no offense but... tisk tisk tisk.. just plain stupid:( ... theres no way in hell i would put nitrous on a 250ex... no point in it? its just cheap hp.. dont get me wrong i strongly belive in nitrous cause you know i do drag racing.... but not on a 250ex thats just a no no:D :)

Engine size doesn't matter. Just because you don't have the "biggest, baddest" engine, it doesn't mean that you can't use nitrous and have a little more fun. Whatever makes you happy...

BUILT TO RIDE
04-19-2004, 06:30 PM
They probably ment for a 250cc Motocross 2 stroke motor, to store a little canister inside of the airbox/mount on bars/forks/or a custom mount spot. But hell yeah, i'de put it on there, it'll wear ur engine out tho
:muscle:

Btw: The nitrous for quads and bikes is called boondockers. people use it for the dunes
www.boondockers.com

wilkin250r
04-19-2004, 06:36 PM
boondockers isn't the only nitrous kit available for motorcycles...

BUILT TO RIDE
04-19-2004, 06:42 PM
its one of the bigger companys

markeg192
04-19-2004, 08:11 PM
You would have the slowest Noz powered quad ever. I wouldn't bother..

skemp
04-19-2004, 10:53 PM
I agree with Wilkin, and not the nay-sayers on here. If you want to do it, do it. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Just take the advice and figure out how much you can run safely. This would best be done by starting out with a small nitrous jet and working your way up. Just set your own limits. If you feel you have realized a large gain in power, stop. Don't push it any farther than you think is safe. Nitrous can very easily cause a meltdown and/or roast valves if too much is fed into a motor. It is cheap horsepower though, and can be run fairly reliably. Good luck and have fun. :)

Toadz400
04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Engine size doesn't matter. Just because you don't have the "biggest, baddest" engine, it doesn't mean that you can't use nitrous and have a little more fun. Whatever makes you happy...

Yea exactly, the guy who said that he shouldn't because it's a 250EX drags a Blaster...those aren't exactly "big and bad". His blaster engine is 10 cc's more than that 229.

Knips178
04-20-2004, 02:14 PM
If for no other reason than saying you have a nitrous 250ex, i think it's worth it! Hell, while your at it through a turbo on it too! You'll have the most hopped up 250ex around and bragging rights for days...........of course, when the transmission grenades you'll have to buy a new one...........but it'll be the fastest 30ft you every road on it.

JStylz0383
04-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey everyone thanks for all your help, I will deffinetly read and get as much knowledge as possible before I jump into it. I basically want the nos to use before a jump or what not... Thanks again

wilkin250r
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
My first nitrous project was a 250X, and I don't regret it one bit. Besides, if he ever upgrades to a bigger quad, the nitrous kit will swap directly over...

RMX500
04-20-2004, 07:29 PM
i don't think it's dumb because it's only a 250EX.. i think it's not smart because you've been riding a 250EX.. and you're used to that speed.

Nitrous isn't like adding a pipe and bore kit or mods where power is evenly added and constant.

you're hooking up 20hp accessible INSTANTLY with he push of a button.

i'd get used to high power machines before you start playing with happy gas.

even I would be hesitant to put Nitrous through my predator and I am very accustomed to high speeds.

20hp on demand is not as practical as you think. used properly it won't kill your quad.. but used without experience in going fast and extreme acceleration it could kill you..

RMX500
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
reading your profile however i notice you're not just some kid either so I presume you've been on plenty of other machines and have had some good experiences with power before.

hell in that case go for it and hook up some happy gas. :D

Cripple
04-20-2004, 10:04 PM
would you put NOS on a recon? i'd upgrade the handleing and suspension first, the suspension is set for a mild riding and will only have worse handleing with more power, ya it might be cool b4 it blowns, save ur $$$,

wilkin250r
04-21-2004, 12:14 PM
If the question was "Should I put nitrous on my 250EX or save for a better quad?" then I would certainly say you should save.

However, that doesn't appear to be the issue. If you are going to ride a 250EX regardless of any other issues, then yes, go with the nitrous. I'd rather have a badass 250EX with nitrous than a plain ol' stock 250EX. Wouldn't anybody?

Juggalo
04-21-2004, 10:42 PM
maybe you should get a ground effects package and a huge aluminum wing for your 250ex too

RMX500
04-22-2004, 01:14 AM
just because you listen to ICP doesn't mean you have to bring someone else down with you.

JStylz0383
04-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Ok, first of all your a Jeffalo you ain't no Juggalo. A real Juggalo gives props to the outkast and people who do **** other say can't be done. Second of all, why would you come onto a Quad Fourm and downgrade other people's ideas and questions by saying stupid **** like that? Grow up man....

Knips178
04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
boy did i miss something? I assume he was joking about the idea of adding wings and ground effects to a NOS machine. Unless something was deleted by an admin, in this string I dont' see what everyone's getting all pissy about?? Sometimes I think people take comments to seriously on here and think their getting flamed, when really they can't take a joke. Now i'm not saying lashing out and making fun of someone's ideas is right, but lighten up. This may be a foriegn idea to some, but freedom of speech is why I love living in this great country.

I say, go for it add the nitrous and give us a report on how it goes or if you have any questions on how something might fit just ask. But, i've seen crazy stuff like this work, like people puting turbo's on their 400ex and it works great.

Good luck

ryanh250ex
04-22-2004, 10:33 AM
just for laughs, i was considering throwing on a t025e turbo on my 250. i dont have the mechanical know-how, however, and am unfamiliar with turbos, so i'll save the idea for someone else.

i think you should go for it. i'd laugh my *** off at someone who put nitrous on their 250, simply because it'd be funny to see someone get their *** whooped by a 250ex.

the motor should be able to handle it, since the motor can safely handle 8750 rpm (that's where the rev limiter is, after all) and the piston is relatively low-compression. you might want to look into how strong the rod is, etc. just to be sure.

i'd also throw on some big tires (as in bigger than 22"), the motor will want to hit the rev limiter VERY fast.

Juggalo
04-22-2004, 03:10 PM
yeah guys i was just jokin jeez calm down. touchy arent we? i haven't listened to ICP in years i just don't wanna change my name and have everybody not know who i am