PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Oil. I need help!

coryatver
03-15-2002, 12:30 PM
On the shifting side of the motor by the head cover my motor is leaking a very small amount of oil. It is running fine. No smoke, powerloss, or anything unusual. I don't know where it is coming from. I took off the plastic and gas tank. so i could take a look but i still can't tell. Does anyone have any ideas? What do the big bolts with allen heads do? it seems it could be coming from there. do they have a seal or anything? Any advise would be helpful.

Cory

03-15-2002, 02:13 PM
sounds like a rocker arm cap, if the screw head is on the side of the engine head. its has proably come unseated. i had this happen on an old 250x. but since its a 400, better ask somebody who knows befor popping off the top of the head.

coryatver
03-15-2002, 10:00 PM
I looked at the part list at service honda and the bolt is a rocker arm shaft. What do you mean by "unseated"? By the picture on service honda it looks like it has a o-ring. I think it is bad. Does anyone know what is involved in replacing it? It looks like the bolt has to be pulled out to replace it but if the bolt is pulled out will everything in the top end fall apart? I really don't want to take it to my dealer to replace a 25 cent o-ring for 75 bucks an hour.