PDA

View Full Version : trx450 problems...

effective
04-19-2004, 10:36 AM
ive got a raptor 04 and was looking to get a yfz450 untill i read about the problems theyve got from gear shifting to battery problems which made me give it a second thought on what to buy

so i need to know if the trx450 has got any common probelms or that any of u people experienced.. thanks

Pappy
04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
none so far:D

kazpr
04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I can honestly say there does not seem to be one common problem w/ the 450r. My bike runs very good stock and have 0 problems and I run it pretty hard :) Good luck on your choice. Peace

thomez
04-19-2004, 10:42 AM
What about the rear suspension bucking problem? Might not be a mechanical one, but it is a lot more expensive to fix too.

NorthLoup
04-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Run mine pretty hard too . Any problem yet .

jmoney45
04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
No problems here

effective
04-19-2004, 11:07 AM
well i usually jump 60 + foot distance jumps in the dunes and ive read that they cant handle that much .. so ive just got to change the swingarm and im ok ..?

Pappy
04-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by thomez
What about the rear suspension bucking problem? Might not be a mechanical one, but it is a lot more expensive to fix too.

in stock form the trx has less of a problem then the yfz. aint no cheap fixes in this sport im afraid.

alot of the R's kicking problem can be dialed out of the stock rear and few intermediate riders will ever know it doesnt work 110%.

the tie rods and stem are appering to be weak as alot of peeps are tweakin them, but ya gotta not hit things:p

thomez
04-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Sounds good. I probably wouldn't notice til I got into the hard whoops :eek2:

greghall
04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Man that bike is awsome its great for the average guy only A class riders will complain about some stuff ,they change & mod. everything anyway.

tjar66
04-19-2004, 12:03 PM
So far no problems at all just dont touch the throttle when you try to start it

Hammer trx450r
04-19-2004, 12:39 PM
best quad i ever owned!! And it gets better everyday. ;)

Honda
04-19-2004, 01:20 PM
No Problems Here! None! Nada! Nunye!

I am Very :D

tkwarrior
04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
best quad i ever owned!! And it gets better everyday. ;)

I agree with that 100%. Everytime I ride it I can't believe I settled for lesser quads.

exrider44
04-19-2004, 03:02 PM
The bike is awesome but you will notice in whoops it bucks the heck out of you. I really think Honda needs to make a better rear shock. Its weak!

WOracing
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
they covered it pretty good:D

Punk'd
04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
the ones that have those problems are prob duds so... advice
DONT GET A DUD! lol all quads have problems man its life..sept my dads 300 that hes had for like 14-15 years:D now thats a honda

Kawboyz beware
04-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I went riding with a friend of mine who i havent seen in a while. So we were taking about his new bike I asked like how many rides are on it and what has broke so far. His reply was 6 good days of riding and the front shock is already blown the plastic where is goes around the petcock alreardy started to crack oh by the end of the day we discovered that the weld for the lower subframe mount was starting to crack and stress. easy fix but what the ****

quadsrfun
04-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I owen a shop in Morgantown In. and have had alot of nice quads the new honda is the best quad on the market IMOP.It is super reliable and the rear shock thing people is talking about is all in the adjustments and honda has never made something that was not reliable.Yes the new yam. 450 is sweet and is going to sell like crazy cause of the E start. But the honda is so easy to start it is fun to watch peoples face when ya start it sitting on the seat on the first kick most everytime, just dont hit the gas when you kick it over then it will take 2 or 3 kicks. check out my web site to see our project 300ex and some real nice quads of all kinds www.gearworxriders.com, see ya on the trail or at the races ..... ;) :p

LostCause439
04-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by effective
ive got a raptor 04 and was looking to get a yfz450 untill i read about the problems theyve got from gear shifting to battery problems which made me give it a second thought on what to buy

so i need to know if the trx450 has got any common probelms or that any of u people experienced.. thanks

Havent had any problems with my Y, neither have the other 10 people i know with them, I havent heard of any problems with the TRX also, I hate it when someone will break something and blame it on design when its probaly the knucklehead riding it

kssandduner
04-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I hate to say it, but I've had a problem with mine. I installed my HRC kit and them took the bike to the dunes over easter, and after almost two days of riding, it started running chitty. So I loaded it up on the trailer and took it home, and then back to the dealership. I talked to the mechanic today, and he said that somehow the spacers on top of the valve springs decided they wanted to come out of there original spot, and bounce around and tear some chit up, my interpretation. The thing that bothers me is that no one can explain how this happened. But it's fixed now, and I'll be getting it back soon. Other than that the bike is friggin awesome, I wouldn't get rid of it for anything in the world!

Joe

BigThumper33
04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Did a mechanic install it?

If so, he probably screwed up when installing it, and "can't explain" what happened cause he doesn't want to look/sound like a moron.

I've heard a lot of stories where that has been the case!

kssandduner
04-20-2004, 02:02 AM
My dad and I actually installed it ourselves. Whatever we did wrong it doesn't sound like we will ever know. I think it would be a little easier to explain if it hadn't ran fine for two days, and then crapped out.

Joe

BigThumper33
04-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Could have just been a bolt or something backing out, or perhaps incorrect installation of the shims and they worked their way out.

I've never worked on a trx450 head so I'm not really aware of the possible issue.

greghall
04-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by kssandduner
My dad and I actually installed it ourselves. Whatever we did wrong it doesn't sound like we will ever know. I think it would be a little easier to explain if it hadn't ran fine for two days, and then crapped out.

Joe It proply kicked out a shim,clearences were to loose ,maybe?Every Machine breaks so that my answer alot of its from abuse,But Honda has a rep for being super reliable.

booneTRX
04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
250 miles on mine and not a single glitch. And about the rear shock, if you stay on the gas in the whoops it doesnt kick, let off and she will try to throw ya. Less preload and softer rebound helped tho.

I was skeptical of getting one over my 250r but wouldnt go back to save my wife..... I mean life!!!! LOL:devil:

Woody_YFZ
04-21-2004, 05:19 AM
I have only had my 450R a couple weeks, but no problems encountered as I would expect. I've had one of my YFZ's for about 9 months and I just replaced the water impeller shaft and seal. Just FYI, my brother and his buddy both have leaky water seals on their CRF's too. This is a common problem with high performance engines, so consider it regular maintenance. Both great machines. I prefer the YFZ suspension, it has more adjustment than the TRX does. I too noticed in whoops that the Honda bucks me a bit and I can't seem to find a happy medium, it either packs or bucks. I'll keep working on it though.

kargaaro
04-21-2004, 05:59 AM
I've been racing it every weekend and not a single problem yet. Suspension can be dialed in. The kickstart works great!

#1speedbump
04-21-2004, 03:54 PM
My biggest problem/complaint is that I dont get to ride it enough:grr:

04-21-2004, 09:19 PM
im thinking about getting a trx450r but will my 400ex front works shocks bolt up on the front of the 450r easily? they should work good too for trails right? im not a racer or anything. I just ride trails with my friends

joe1l
04-21-2004, 09:59 PM
I've had mine since march, and I like it more and more everytime i ride, I've done some minor hop ups like exhaust and intake, and the power gets better and better!! I love it. I love the suspension when it comes to woods and trails, but for whoops, the rear needs a some work, but nothing too major. The kickstart is soo easy a little girl could start it! My buddy's with e-starts can't even start there bikes as fast as me. The only thing i don't like are the magazine articles!!!