PDA

View Full Version : PEP Limited Mass

thomez
04-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Could I use these shocks with a ZPS rear or would this be a problem since these aren't ZPS. How do these shocks rank with an Elka triple rate ZPS shock? Or TCS?

Just curious if anyone has them and what their experience is. Also concerned they won't be quite right with the ZPS rear. Do the Limited Mass sag any?

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-19-2004, 10:25 AM
it'd be better to run all zps, or all limited mass. imo pep is the best on the market, just a lil slow in getting them built.

Chanman420q
04-19-2004, 10:35 AM
the limited masses probobly will be a better ride, but overall the elkas and the TCS would be a better choice seeing as they have a ZPS type spring on them.

thomez
04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Do the Limited Mass sag any or will they keep the center of gravity high?

NacsMXer
04-19-2004, 11:16 AM
They don't sag any because there is no ZPS spring at the top of the shock. My buddy has a 250R with the limited mass shocks and the only diff I see between his and my ZPS shocks is the ZPS spring at the top. It looks like it can be converted easily if sent off to a PEP service center. My friend wanted a lower front stance on his front limited mass shocks so he compressed the springs from the top and moved the retaining C-clip on the shock body a few grooves up thus attaining a "zero preload" on the shock springs. It seemed to work but his springs became loose on the shock because he moved the clip up, so I don't know if I would recommend it. If my friend had ZPS shocks, the ZPS spring at the top of the shock would be the thing that is keeping the springs from being all loose and is what gives you your Sag. Hit up Mark Baldwin or Santo DeRisi and ask him if it can be done because it seems possible.

thomez
04-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks.

I was just pondering shock options but it sounds like maybe I should stay ZPS both front and rear unless I want to spend $$ to convert some limited mass to zps. It will be cheaper for me to buy a ZPS shock in the first place.

:D

NacsMXer
04-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Thomez, do you have these limited mass shocks already? Or are you asking if this combo will work? If you have the Lim. Mass shocks already it would be much cheaper to put a simple spring setup on there instead of forking over the $900 for a new set of ZPS shocks. It wouldn't even be as expensive as a revalving.

thomez
04-19-2004, 11:33 AM
No, I do not have these shocks. They are for sale and I was tracking them on Ebay.

I think to get them converted to ZPS they would have to be valved for it as well. I don't think they would sag with only the spring... for a set of front shocks to get converted and revalved I am sure I am looking at $300 plus. The difference in what these shocks sell for + conversion and the price of another set of shocks would be minimal, though the ZPS converted revalved PEP shocks would probably perform better. I will ponder it.

NacsMXer
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah you could be right because Ive never owned a set of Limited Mass shocks so what do I know if they need to be revalved with the conversion. If they do than youre right that the price would rival a set of new ZPS shocks. Lemme tell you that ZPS is the only way to go...I can't say enough about how much I love them! I hope you find a good deal on the right shock for you. :)

BeltSlipper
04-22-2004, 04:03 PM
We have Limited Mass, and I wish we would of went to ZPS. The ride height of the Limited Mass is way to high for us. Put we'll have to make due. I would recommend going ZPS.

cabex
04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
i have limited mass on my z400 and it sags. it sits low enough for me. i love the shocks.