PDA

View Full Version : Whats this mean?

chucked
04-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Brand new sprockets, semi-new chain, now my rear (aluminum) sprocket is missing a few teeth (but not worn) after riding this weekend. Im guessing this means I need a new chain?

44oEX
04-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah I would check the chain

The trick is to change everything at ones

chucked
04-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
Yeah I would check the chain

The trick is to change everything at ones

yea, actually now that I think about it my chain isnt all that new.

woprs50
04-19-2004, 10:25 AM
ive never had good luck with alumnium sprockets they only last about 1/10 as long as a steel and how much weight can you be saving like 5 ounces id rather just have steel jmo

04-19-2004, 02:18 PM
aluminum=garbage IMO....i stick with steel

04'400ex'er
04-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Id buy a new DID or Renthal chain, or at least something of equal quality. Wheather you buy an o-ring, standard, or even a DID X-ring chain is completely up to you. Then purchase a steel sprocket of high quality also. If your front sprocket is really new, then stay with it. otherwise invest in a new front sprocket also. If you purchase a new chain, buy some chain lube and keep it lubed on the SPROCKET side of the chain. If you just lube the top of the chain, your not helping much. Also, tighten the chain often.Buy the way, a way to tell if your chain is gettin' worn or is completely shot is to grab it while it is on the bike and try to pull it from side to side. A new chain will not have much play from side to side. A worn out chain will have a lot of slack in it.

chucked
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
I have a DID x-ring gold premium chain, I tested it and it is hardly stretched. I have a 42 tooth sprocket and I noticed that the skid plate was banged up where the sprocket is closest. My guess is something got caught up in there and ripped it up. Im about to order a 42 t sprocket (which are hard to find) off of ebay, im just waiting for the guy to reply back.

44oEX
04-19-2004, 04:28 PM
just get a 13 front and a 38 rear.

chucked
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
just get a 13 front and a 38 rear.

Wont a 13 hit?

44oEX
04-19-2004, 04:36 PM
hit what?? it's smaller so it sould be ok as far as clearance.

04-19-2004, 04:57 PM
i didnt kno you were supposed to lube the bottom or if it mattered:confused: ...i'd always just lube the top (makes sense now though)...I would also get some renthal sprockets all around & just any oring chain...xring's aren't necessary & are just same thing as an oring except more expensive & sound cooler...somebody even said that they may hold more dirt inside chain b/c the ring is the shape of an "x" but I dont know if its true...it does make sense though

chucked
04-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
i didnt kno you were supposed to lube the bottom or if it mattered:confused: ...i'd always just lube the top (makes sense now though)...I would also get some renthal sprockets all around & just any oring chain...xring's aren't necessary & are just same thing as an oring except more expensive & sound cooler...somebody even said that they may hold more dirt inside chain b/c the ring is the shape of an "x" but I dont know if its true...it does make sense though

the o ring isnt in the shape of an x but it is kind of ridged so it keeps oil in

chucked
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
hit what?? it's smaller so it sould be ok as far as clearance.

it could make the chain hit the swing arm and it will be at greater risk to skip under heavy load.

44oEX
04-21-2004, 06:54 AM
even if it does hit the swing arm that is what the chain slider thingy on th swinger is for. As far as skipping if you have the proper tention in the chain ( it`s tight like if sould be ) you sould be OK cause so people on 300ex`s run 12`s.