PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Modification Advice

BurnMX
04-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Hello all, I'm a new member to the forums but not so new to the riding game. After doing quite a bit of research I decided to pick up a used 400EX and trick it out rather than dumping the money into a new 450.

There seem to be quite a few experienced riders in this forum so I'm hoping I can get some decent feedback on what I've been planning.

I ride mostly at the dunes and in desert type environments, but also hit the mountain trails now and then and would like to start competing in QuadCross.

EXHAUST
FMF Power Bomb Header
FMF MegaMax Silencer

ENGINE
Wiseco 440EX Kit (installed professionally)
Edelbrock QwikSilver 440 Carb
HotCams Stage 2 Cam
Alba Racing CDI (Rev Limiter)

I was also planning on adding +2"W Front End and +2"L Rear Suspension. And of course dropping a tooth off the front sprocket, and maybe adding 1 or 2 to the back.

I guess my question would be, could this setup keep up with the big boys (YZF450, 450R, etc.) in a race setting?

So far I've only put money into Nerfbars and handlebars so I'm open to changing up my plan.. I just want the meaniest machine possible. :)

This is kind of long but if you took the time to read it and give me your input, I appreciate it. :)

04-18-2004, 09:07 PM
I have the weisco 440, ported head, stage 2 etc.... I absolutly love the way my bike rides and I will put it against any quad made, in the woods. On the dunes and in the wide open spaces of the desert though, the Preditor and the yzf's rule!

Natertot426ex
04-18-2004, 09:38 PM
If you have stock gearing(15/38) try dropping 2 in the back. It will give you a lot of top end and help keep your front end down. I have 15/36 on my 426 and it is an awesome setup! Try that and put some suspension on it and you will have one sweet ride. If you do have the money to blow on it go ahead and do +2 all the way around. It is a night and day difference. When you do your shocks make sure you get zero preload. Have fun and welcome to the site!!!!

Knips178
04-19-2004, 08:14 AM
my cousin just got the 450r and I got a chance to ride it over the weekend and was really unimpressed. It smoked my brother's piped 400ex by like 6 quad lengths on pavement, but when I rode it, it didn't feel that strong. It sounds almost like a 2 stroke and has a similar powerband feel. As soon as you fall off that powerband it doesn't feel much better than a stock 400ex.
anyway, what i'm getting at is, look at my signature and that should give you a good gide line as to what you need to stay with or beat a 450r. I don't have a fcr carb on it yet, but even with it off, we are pretty much dead even in a drag. his 450r is stock.

cals400ex
04-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Knips178
my cousin just got the 450r and I got a chance to ride it over the weekend and was really unimpressed. It smoked my brother's piped 400ex by like 6 quad lengths on pavement, but when I rode it, it didn't feel that strong. It sounds almost like a 2 stroke and has a similar powerband feel. As soon as you fall off that powerband it doesn't feel much better than a stock 400ex.
anyway, what i'm getting at is, look at my signature and that should give you a good gide line as to what you need to stay with or beat a 450r. I don't have a fcr carb on it yet, but even with it off, we are pretty much dead even in a drag. his 450r is stock.

is he running the hrc cam?

Hotdog
04-19-2004, 01:53 PM
I rode a 450r with the HRC kit in it yesterday. I honestly can say iam glad that i didnt not sell my qud and get one. It sets high like a raptor and it dint feel that powerful. I really think my 416,xr cam, and x-6 exhaust could run with it. We raced a harescramble and he did pull away from me in the fields.