PDA

View Full Version : mx set up. what do u think

xtrememxrider
03-15-2002, 07:32 AM
I have my EX stripped right now. I have my engine in the shop getting a ims 440 kit with a 5 angle valve job. He's also porting and polishing it. Im getting him to install barnett dirt digger clutches while hes working on it. Im running a pro circuit slip on and im getting him to order me the pro circuit head pipe. Im running a k&n filter with no airbox lid and no snorkle. Im buying a new stock frame cause mine has a little problem. Im getting the frame gusseted and powdercoated purple. Im gona be ordering lsr +2 A-arms and tcs triple rate shocks with adjustable resivors. The shocks will be either white or chrome. Im getting a chrome lsr steering stem and axcaliber axle. Im getting all white maier race cut plastic, and a purple seat cover. Im polishing the bottom end of my engine. The topend is gona be painted black with the edges of the fins polished. My swing arm is being plished, my oil cooler is being polished, my caliper, motor mounts, and bumper are also being polished. Im also thinking about gettimg a quick fill 4.5 gallon gas tank from ims in a natural color, cause I may also stard doing some harescrambles. Later on im going to drop in a cam oversized valves, springs and lifters. But thats basicly what im doing for now. If you race at pymatuming, malvern, springvalley keep an I out for me. My # will be 00 or 000. What do you guys think of this set up?

03-15-2002, 08:53 AM
Everything sounds really good man,,but you need to add the cam NOW not later,,,it's a must with the other motor mods your having done,,don't finish the motor without it....really though.

Wingnut
03-15-2002, 09:16 AM
You may have some of these things already, but I did not see them listed, so I thought I would add them.
1. aluminum handlebars
2. steering damper
3. NERF BARS
4. a good set of MX tires

I agree with Rico 100% about the cam.

xtrememxrider
03-15-2002, 09:27 AM
I already have renthal bars, and dg nerfs that im also polishing. I dont have a dampener whats it do? I have razor tires all around. When i get the stem im getting pro tapers. Whats a good cam for moto x. Also what kind of hardened lifters do i need? how much do they cost. would it be better to go with an xr gasket to?

Wingnut
03-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Wow, and I thought I was good at cramming a bunch of questions in a small space!

In the simplest terms a damper keeps the 4-wheeler going where you point it. Have you ever hit something with one wheel and had the handlebars turn in the direction of the thing you hit? Well, a steering damper will help eliminate this, in effect, you will have more control of the ATV.

The stock cam is made for bottom end power. With the extra compression and displacement of the 440 you will have a HUGE amount of bottom end power, but the 4-wheeler will rev slower and not have the topend it should because the valves will not be open long enough to let the exhaust gasses out of the silinder. Any mid/top end cam will allow the exhaust gasses more time to escape by holding the valves open longer. It will hold the intake valves open longer also to allow more gas to enter(more gas = more power).

Almost everyone who makes a cam can hardface your stock rocker-arms. The cost is usually about $200. Instead, you could buy a "drop in" (XR400) cam, and that would eliminate the need for hard faced rocker arms.

K_Fulk
03-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Are you going to be at malvern tommorow?

NJ300ex
03-16-2002, 02:16 PM
I see two problems in your list, but there are probably more. You said you want a large gas tank because you might be racing harescrambles and you are gettting a wider axle and wider a arms.

For harescrambles you do not want to go any wider than stock or you will not be able to get threw the trails. Also large gas tanks don't work well for jumping. It will wiegh your front end down and you will have to work harder to make a good landing.

Strictly MX setups don't work for Harescrambles basically sums it up.

mrusk
03-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Dont get LSR products. Only there axles, locknuts and carriers are good.

matt

xtrememxrider
03-19-2002, 07:09 AM
No i dident go to malvern but my girlfriends brother went. He took first in 2 stroke and money. Whats wrong with lsr a-arms and steering stems? I was going to get tcs shocks but i was told that they are made out of the same conponets as works, and since their 0 preload my front would sag plus i would be losing travel. So a +2 axle and a-arms wont work for harescrambles? Only reason i was gona race harescrambles is because i work with chad duvalls mother and she invited us to come race with them. But if its not gona work im just gona set it up for mx. Only reason im really going with lsr a-arms is because everything has grease fittings. Also i was talking to the guy thats doing my 440 kit and ke told me to go with a white brothers cam. What do you think of that? I asked him about an xr cam and he said that theres really no noticable gain from one.

03-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by xtrememxrider

I asked him about an xr cam and he said that theres really no noticable gain from one.

He's wrong about that. Members on here have replaced just there cam with an XRcam and said they noticed a nice power gain and these members aren't 12 year olds either..

JhallettEX
03-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Get the xr 400 cam, it is a straight drop in cam and you will not have to worry about your rockers. I have the TCS shocks and like them. Also if you want a good set of a-arms consider Houser Racing, they have grease zerks, ask anyone on this site, they are top of the line a-arms.

Crypted1
03-19-2002, 10:02 AM
I agree about the LSR arms. I've HAD them on my 400, they are terible. Go with Houser, they rock. And yes they have greese zerks. Also if your setting up for MX you want pre-load. This lowers your center of gravity so you can trun on a dime, but still alowes for full wheel travel. LSR axles are good, but dominator axles are a little better. Do not get a Durabreak. Been there broke that...still haven't broke my Dominator. One last thing Houser makes a better stem than LSR.

rhino99
03-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Just get the +2 arms and axle, and keep your stock stuff, and then when you run a Hare Scramble, you can put the stock stuff back on and vice versa for MX.
I also agree that you need a cam, and would stay away from the WB cam. One of my friends has this in his 416 and he has gone through 3 of them when they clipped his valves or something like that. 3 cams, rockers and new valves, not real cheap, I would get the XR cam, you will notice a good power gain with it!

James70214
03-19-2002, 05:28 PM
Crypted
For mx you want no pre load, hence zero preload.

Crypted1
03-19-2002, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry, your right I read that quickly this morning as I was leaving for work. I was refering to SAG or SSD what ever you want to call it.

stocktires
03-20-2002, 07:50 PM
get some zps for shure!!! Dont paint the cylinder! It'll wont dissipaite heat as good and on 400's thats a bi problem! Make SURE and get a bigger oil cooler and try to get some vents!