PDA

View Full Version : Chain popping problems.Please Help!!

BLURR250X
03-15-2002, 06:46 AM
Ok I'm in the process of race modifying my '92 250X. When I first got it the chain popped all the time. So I thought by replacing the swingarm, axle, axle carrier, axle nut would take care of that problem. It worked good for about 2 weeks but lastnight my chain popped 3 times. I have no idea why because everything was tight including the swingarm bolts, carrier bolts, axle, axle nut and all that stuff. The only thing that it could be is the shaft that comes out of the engine that the front sproket mounts on has about an eighth of an inch of play in it.Any help would really be appreciated.

CranMan
03-15-2002, 07:01 AM
How about your chain and sprockets???If your chain is stretched it will pop.

03-15-2002, 08:15 AM
I had the same problem on my 300ex. What solved it was when I tightened my carrier bolts on the swingarm I noticed that they were tightened as far down as I could get them. They were squezzing together and not tigtening against the carrier. Ended up that I had to take a small grinding wheel and grind out a little bit where the bolts go in so the swingarm would tighten on to the carrier. Never had the problem again.

03-15-2002, 09:59 AM
I would check your sprocket teeth...
If they are narrow, have grooves in them, or ar bent the chain will pop.....
Also if the chain is stretched it will pop...
You can get sprockets for about $17 for front and I am not sure about the back.
In any case, replacing the chain and sprockets will be much cheaper then having to fix a cracked case from your chain breaking it...
Good luck