PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to put on Hipers??

Quad18star
04-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Well back ones are a no brainer , fronts however I'm having some probs . I lubed them up with soap and water to get them to slide on better but there was no way in hell it was going on . Pryed for about 20 minutes and no way . I got it over the first edge of the rim ( where the beadlock bolts up) but its the center section that doesn't want to budge . It sort of buldges up a little then tapers wider/bigger. What am I doing wrong ?? Or should I just bring it to a tire shop and get them to install it?? Also I seen that it looks liek the rim comes apart in 2 pieces .... do I have to take it apart to fit the tire on??

Bill Fuller
04-18-2004, 05:09 PM
As long as you can get one side of the tire over the lip than put the ring on the other side and blast air in the tire.Maybe I'm confused but wont that work,sounds like from your post that you can do that.Oh and by the way are they dual locks for the front if so than you wont be able to get the tire over that lip cause thats where the ring goes.Hope this helps and dosn't confuse.

Atreyu
04-18-2004, 05:46 PM
I would just take them to a tire shop. No headache there.

kamikaze_rzrbak
04-18-2004, 05:57 PM
it's easy and cheap to go to a good tire shop

Chef
04-18-2004, 06:10 PM
As long as you have one over you should be fine....just bolt the beadlock on and air em up.

cdalejef
04-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Air pressure will force the tire on the bead!

ZSK
04-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Is there a certain torque that the beadlock bolts need to be at? And how often should the torque be checked?

Atreyu
04-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Sorry to intrupt your thread..but can I take the rings off my beadlocks without the tires comming off?

BSTURDIVANT
04-18-2004, 07:37 PM
The best way I've found is to lean the tire against something, even your leg, at a 45 degree angle. soap the outside lip real good and shove the soaped end at a slight angle while twisting.
Even works for non bead locks!

Quad18star
04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Well we soaped it up and got it ALMOST on the bead , its missing like an inch . I was able to bold up the ring on the outside , and we started to put air in it . On the Holeshot MXRs it says do not go over 15 psi when setting the bead and I was affraid that if i put too much air pressure the bolts might pull themselves out from the inserts in the rim . We inflated the tire to 22 psi and it still didnt set .

Like someone else asked earlier , what torque do the rings need to be torqued down to ?? Also should Locktight be used on the bolts?? Thanks for any info guys .... i might just bring them to a shop tomorrow if i cant get them on .

beak7707
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
somewhere between 6-12 ft-lbs is what the instructions said. I set mine at 10, and i didnt use threadlock or anything.

sniffthis400
04-19-2004, 06:30 PM
id say have a tire shop do em makes life much easier..

sprtrx300ex
04-19-2004, 06:54 PM
try about 25psi in the tire. Get the tire and bounce it up and down real hard on pavement for about 2 min. You will hear a POP if it sets. If this doesn't work, then you need more air in it. All this is assuming you have put the tire on properly.

quad_quazy
04-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
try about 25psi in the tire. Get the tire and bounce it up and down real hard on pavement for about 2 min. You will hear a POP if it sets. If this doesn't work, then you need more air in it. All this is assuming you have put the tire on properly.

Don't worry about the "recomended" max pressure. It's just to cover their @$$. I've put up to 30-35psi in mine to seat them and then bounce them hard on the ground like he said. WD-40 works well also. I've never used thread lock either and never had a problem. Atv tires are the hardest tires to break and seat don't give up, and try not to jam your fingers bouncing the tire, it hurts.

Quad18star
04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Well after finding out the torque specs and not worrying about over inflating , I finally got the tires mounted . The tire took almost 40 psi to get seated . Now I gotta wait till the 450 gets back from the shop to get these suckers mounted ..... they look nice though .

skemp
04-19-2004, 11:05 PM
On motorcycle tires at work, especially sport bike tires, I have had as much as 90psi in them before they will seat. I had a set of Holeshots at home that took nearly 50psi before they would pop. The tires have to expand somewhere, so eventually, they have to pop over the bead. It is always very uncomfortable waiting for it though while watching the tire grow larger and larger... :confused: