PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Aluminum?

blasterkiller14
04-18-2004, 03:57 PM
does anyone know how to polish aluminum?:confused:

js52589
04-18-2004, 04:46 PM
first sand to a bare finish with 800 gritt, then sand with 1000 grit and on up, as high as you can get your hands on, then with some mother's polish on a rag (or a buffing wheel, but not a dremel it will leave swirls, dremel only small spots/items) and polish until it shines well. on dull bare metal you can try just the polish but if it has any finish on it, you need to sand it.

exrider123
04-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by blasterkiller14
does anyone know how to polish aluminum?:confused:

1.sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 220,320) then just work your way up until about 2000
2. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
3. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
4. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of the compounds off, this will not scratch the piece and it still leave a very good shine when done.

ewalker302
04-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Would the buffing wheel work on aluminum diamond plate, or would it tear up the wheel??

My truck used to belong to a guy who worked at a machine shop & It has alum diamond plate everywhere inside---headliner, kick panels, glove box, etc..........

It looks good, but it stays tarnished---impossible to polish by hand.

:bandit:

blasterkiller14
04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks, i didnt do this on any parts of my 4 wheeler. My friend gave me a paintball gun that was in rough shape, i took about 5 aluminum pieces off and sanded them up to 2000 grit paper and polished them with some Mothers polish. It looks awsome now and its hard to tell the pieces apart from chrome. I bet my friend ill be mad he gave me that gun now.

Lethalhonda2
04-25-2004, 08:08 PM
What kind of buffers are you guys using? I have looked at some that are like grinders (2 wheels) and a handheld one like a mini disc sander.I just bought a airbox and it really needs to be polished

CowsBitePeople
04-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by blasterkiller14
Thanks, i didnt do this on any parts of my 4 wheeler. My friend gave me a paintball gun that was in rough shape, i took about 5 aluminum pieces off and sanded them up to 2000 grit paper and polished them with some Mothers polish. It looks awsome now and its hard to tell the pieces apart from chrome. I bet my friend ill be mad he gave me that gun now.

ha ha its gunna be hard to hide in the woods while playin paintball:blah:

danney f
04-25-2004, 09:35 PM
http://www.finishingforums.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

shamisc
04-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
Would the buffing wheel work on aluminum diamond plate, or would it tear up the wheel??

My truck used to belong to a guy who worked at a machine shop & It has alum diamond plate everywhere inside---headliner, kick panels, glove box, etc..........

It looks good, but it stays tarnished---impossible to polish by hand.

:bandit:

I would just take a rag and some Blue Magic Metal polish, and have an elbow grease party! Works pretty good on diamond tread.