PDA

View Full Version : How to switch gears during a wheelie.

yfz4life50
04-18-2004, 11:14 AM
I have a yfz 450 and im 15 but i cant switch gears during the wheelie by the time i get it up in first i need to shift . So should i start in second?

Eureka400
04-18-2004, 11:19 AM
You can start in second or just find your balance point and shift gears

Nausty
04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
try to pop it up as fast as possible so you don't have plenty of the gear left and if that doesn't work just get it past the balance point and let off the gas and shift up. At least thats what I do.

lil_billy_300ex
04-18-2004, 09:49 PM
I have a 300ex and i can wheelie that thing forever, but what i would do if i was you, i would try to get a wheelie goin in 2nd gear standing up, always keep your foot on the brake, a foot on shifter and a hand on the clutch. dont put your legs on the seat. when your doin a wheelie and your reaching at the top of 2nd gear i would lean back a little and shift as fast as possible. try not to lean back too far or give it too much gas going into 3rd gear, that will flip ya over real fast. once u start feeling comfortable shifting through a wheelie standing up try to sit down doin. it looks fricken sweet as hell when your crusing 40 mph and doin a wheelie sittin down. just make sure u can see where your goin. and practice makes perfect. dont expect to get this right the first time.

1997 300ex
white bros promeg pipe
works shocks
k&n filter and jet kit
400ex carb
tag X5 bars
white 250x plastic
holeshot tires
11:1 piston web racing cam and heavy duty valve springs currently being put in.

Stock 2003 Z400
04-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by lil_billy_300ex
i would try to get a wheelie goin in 2nd gear standing up

In my opinion, stund up wheelies are MUCH harder then sit down wheelies! I would start with the sit down wheelies first.

Bill

2k2-300exnj
04-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Stock 2003 Z400
In my opinion, stund up wheelies are MUCH harder then sit down wheelies! I would start with the sit down wheelies first.

Bill
exactly my thoughts, i love wheelie, the best way to learn the balance point is start from a stop pop the clutch and give very little gas use the back brake to keep it balanced, u dont shift at a high rpm, when your in a wheelie u need to short shift and do not use the clutch!!!! the clutch will just confuse you when you are learning, only let off the gas a little when shifting dont release all the way, it may be easier to learn with your left foot in the grab bar and your right foot on the brake, u can see easier and feel it easier but dont make it a habbit only to get the feel...
i can sit downa nd wheelie forever i still cant do a good stander though... once u get it good start expierimenting 1 hand no foot ect...

CowsBitePeople
04-21-2004, 06:39 PM
once you get the hang of shiftin through gears in wheelies its great!! and try sittin down first it iss soo much easyier, if u want to second gear wheeli cruise in low second pull in the clutch revv it up and dump it!!

LazeR
04-28-2004, 01:12 AM
Whoever said never use the clutch.... i wouldn't listen to them to much..... i always use the clutch while shifting during a wheelie...it just takes a little practice... say you have it in 1st gear and pull it up...make sure your going slow so you have plaenty of rpms....get it so its ALMOST at the balance point and pull in the clutch (this will set you make the front end come up a lil bit more) then shift to the next gear and let out the clutch and give it gas accordingly....before you pull in the clutch make sure your ALMOST at the balance point because when you pull in the clutch at the balance point it shoots you backwards and you hit the grab bar kinda hard if your not paying attention then you slam forward and it kinda hurts!

400exracer26
04-28-2004, 11:21 AM
try to drop the clutch out of every gear. that should give u the pop to keep it going into the next gear.

2k2-300exnj
04-28-2004, 11:45 AM
most people dont use the clutch as it makes it harder and as long as you dont powershift using the clutch isnt fully neccassary it wont hurt anything as much as say doing a holeshot and powershifting without it

K2Snow
04-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
it may be easier to learn with your left foot in the grab bar and your right foot on the brake, u can see easier and feel it easier but dont make it a habbit only to get the feel...

how is he going to shift with his left foot in the grab bar?

Rebelrider4OOex
05-03-2004, 10:38 AM
u can start in seond liek i do on my 400ex or lean back in first and as son as u get pu find a good ballance point and shift.....thats what i do but i can only go form 1st to 3rd never tred into 4th or 5th:devil:

exrider360
05-05-2004, 01:37 PM
once you get it out of second its easy to shift thorugh the gears i can wheelie my 300 for a long

WEEZIL
05-06-2004, 07:40 PM
I have been putting one foot on the brake and one on the grab bar. to find my balance spot
it helped my sit down wheelies a hell of allot. I can ride a first gear wheelie for atleast 200 feet becauce i ride them so slow. I find the balance spot immediately

the yazer
05-06-2004, 08:52 PM
yo you have a yfz450, you should be able to start a wheelie sitting down in third gear (i can on my 400ex so you should be able to on the yfz) , what you need to do is find the ballance point when you get it up than you can do whatever you want .....wave to the girls you are showing off for and...shifting... just pratice and you will get it

Mxjunkie
05-09-2004, 04:30 PM
How would i shift on my cr80? i can get it up and ride it but i allways need to shift, when i do shift the front end comes down right away...should i try the same things you guys posted?

TILLER
05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I never use my clutch when shifting in a wheelie .. i just get out of the throttle a bit.. but i hardly ever have to shift

also stand ups i believe are way easier and u can bust more tricks while standing..

once u find the balance point.. shifting will be a thing of the past.. i never shift.. i run first gear for stunts..ie 1 handers, standups, highchairs, side saddle, flamingoes, discos

2nd gear i use for long roads or parking lots either standing or sitdown.. coasters are great in 2nd..

devildriver422
05-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
most people dont use the clutch as it makes it harder and as long as you dont powershift using the clutch isnt fully neccassary it wont hurt anything as much as say doing a holeshot and powershifting without it

wuts the difference between poweshifting and just not using the clutch

TILLER
05-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by devildriver422
wuts the difference between powershifting and just not using the clutch

powershifting is more along the lines of jamming a gear with the throttle still going.. when i wheelie i let off the gas almost all the way and shift ..

Big400EX
05-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Stock 2003 Z400

Bill

Well Thankyou Mr. Stock 2004 Z400.:rolleyes:

05-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Damn is it hard to wheelie a 250r in 1st or 2nd with an extended swingarm, but its easy to shift into 4th, nail the throttle, and air it out going 45-50.

IL400EX
05-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by yfz4life50
I have a yfz 450 and im 15 but i cant switch gears during the wheelie by the time i get it up in first i need to shift . So should i start in second?

First off. You must master the first gear wheelie. You'll have it mastered when you can hold a 1st gear wheelie and not be revved out and ride it out until you are forced to set it down. Another good practice item is to see just how slow you can ride a wheelie, this helps develop your feel for the balance point and how and when to use the gas and brake.

Now, you can try shifting. Everyone has there own opinions on how to do this, and when you learn your technique will probably be slightly different that the rest of us.

I always use the clutch when I shift.(and its not becuase I'm afraid of tearing something up, I shift without the clutch alot when racing and get arm pump(or the freaking clutch cable breaks)).

To me if you shifting your accelerating, therfore when I'm in a first gear wheelie and accelerating, I bring the front in up just past the balance point, shift, and back on the gas. Instead of trying to shift on up, pratice holding in up once you get it in 2nd.

Then the same goes for the rest of the gears. I actually feel it becomes much easier to hold wheelies in 4 and 5th gear than it is in 1st.

4th and 5th gear wheelies are possible but most of the time its hard to find room to really get there. Also you must pay attention to the air pressure in the rear tires, and if riding across open pasture or fields, first drive down the path you plan on doing a high speed wheelie, because when your on 2 wheels, small holes become big problems(see webster's dictionary - CATAPULT) :eek:

hondarider2006
06-03-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
Whoever said never use the clutch.... i wouldn't listen to them to much..... i always use the clutch while shifting during a wheelie...it just takes a little practice... say you have it in 1st gear and pull it up...make sure your going slow so you have plaenty of rpms....get it so its ALMOST at the balance point and pull in the clutch (this will set you make the front end come up a lil bit more) then shift to the next gear and let out the clutch and give it gas accordingly....before you pull in the clutch make sure your ALMOST at the balance point because when you pull in the clutch at the balance point it shoots you backwards and you hit the grab bar kinda hard if your not paying attention then you slam forward and it kinda hurts!

Great advise:) I use the clutch when I am riding wheelies for the most part, sometimes I forget, or simply just don't, but jamming it into gear isn't good for the 'ol tranny. Just find the balance point and pull in the clutch, shift and keep on going:devil:

250king
06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
i got a 250ex and i just get it up to my balance point, and shift when i feel i need to. i do them sitting down because its MUCH easier. I dont have a clutch, but i do the same on my friends 400 ex, but with the clutch

250king
06-03-2004, 02:09 PM
how do u like the yfz? im thinkin of gettin one

FMFBOY
06-03-2004, 03:10 PM
I LIKE JUST HANGING IN SECOND GEAR, CALL ME LAZY