PDA

View Full Version : Needle Jetting Question

Steelerz37
04-18-2004, 10:04 AM
I thought i had all the jetting sorted out but it seems I was wrong. I have the Dynojet needle and main jet in my carb. My problem is that it will sometimes just stall, and sometimes i can get it to flutter and stall or almost stall if i am just feathering the throttle. These are all just very small movements to the throttle, so i'm sure the problem is with my needle position. I beleive I put the clip in the middle position. What does this sound like, too lean or too rich? Im gonna say too lean? Should I drop the clip down a notch or bring it up one? Thanks

Ben

Steelerz37
04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
anybody?

cals400ex
04-24-2004, 04:12 PM
tell us:
what bike you have
what are all of the mods to the bike
what is the temperature
what is your altitude
what jets your currently running (mainjet, pilot, fuel skrew location, and needle clip position)

Steelerz37
04-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
tell us:
what bike you have
what are all of the mods to the bike
what is the temperature
what is your altitude
what jets your currently running (mainjet, pilot, fuel skrew location, and needle clip position)

2003 400ex
K&n Air Filter
DMC Exhaust
about 70degrees or so
1100 elevation
Main 155(DJ), Pilot 40
Needle I beleive is in the stock position, but on a DynoJet needle
Fuel screw is at stock location

mikeminyard
04-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you are rich to me. I am ~ sea level with E series and no air box lid and am running 155 keihen jet. I believe that a 155 DJ would be even higher than me.

Steelerz37
04-24-2004, 05:25 PM
it runs really well up in the higher throttle though. Its just the idle to 1/8 throttle or so that its stalling out. Sometimes it'll just stall after pulling the clutch, no sputtering, just a quick stall. Other times I can make it stall by fluctuating between idle and 1/8 or so

cals400ex
04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
i personally would take the carb off along with the fuel skrew and slow jet and spray come cleaner in there. your jetting looks fairly close.

i next would ride the bike around and get it up to full temperature. then let the bike sit and idle for a minute or two. shut it off and check the plug color. i would then take the bike out and run at a constant 1/8 throttle for a minute or two and pull in the clutch and shut it off while your going. check the plug color again. i have a feeling your carb or hoses on your carb may be clogged or dirty. also, make sure your carb is on both air boots tight.