PDA

View Full Version : dirtbike laws??

ReconRider25
04-18-2004, 08:26 AM
do you have to be 16 to ride a dirtbike in new york state cuz my 2 friends on kx and cr 125's and i got stopped yesterday by the D.E.C. and he wanted to impound the bikes cuz they were only 15 but we got a friend's dad to pick em up instead. he said they gotta be riding with someone 18 years old or have a safety certificate???? sounds like the snowmobile and atv laws but i dont know if there is such law in new york state???:confused:

04-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Derek,they never said anything about me being underage.....i just said i'm signed up for the safety course....i acually am but can't go for another month or i'll rut up the course...and i have to ride a 90....waste of money but oh well....

ReconRider25
04-18-2004, 09:26 AM
yea well this guy was a prick and they were on DIRTBIKES not a 4wheeler.

SRH
04-18-2004, 09:39 AM
no those are closed course machines, you cant register them, there is no safety course needed and no age restrictions, some tracks say must be 14 or older to RACE a 250 but thats it, he was just jerking you around

ReconRider25
04-18-2004, 09:41 AM
they were registered and i think theyre going to get em insured soon but i didnt think there was an age restriction. thanks man.:cool:

SSracingNY
04-18-2004, 04:05 PM
no laws or courses. just dont stop for the cops like me and my friends. we kinda make a game out of it cuz they cant catch us. one time he chased us through a field in his car and got stuck. A kid that graduated from my school a few years ago has some pics of the cop in a ditch tryin to catch him

Bobbs07
04-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by SSracingNY
no laws or courses. just dont stop for the cops like me and my friends. we kinda make a game out of it cuz they cant catch us. one time he chased us through a field in his car and got stuck. A kid that graduated from my school a few years ago has some pics of the cop in a ditch tryin to catch him

I doubt you always get away and i also doubt a cop would chase you through a field:rolleyes: If you always run you will eventually get screwed.. garanteed. Oh and everytime i got stopped on my dirtbike up here they didnt say a word about my age, Just registration sticker..

SSracingNY
04-18-2004, 06:12 PM
past 3 yrs ridin i havent got caught up yet. and yes he has tried chasing us through the field. not all the time he did it to us once. as WOracing

SRH
04-18-2004, 07:24 PM
im pretty sure you cant register or insure a mx 2 stroke

SSracingNY
04-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by SRH
im pretty sure you cant register or insure a mx 2 stroke

right. i think it has to be atleast a 250 with lights, turn signals i think and whatnot

AtvMxRider
04-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by SSracingNY
past 3 yrs ridin i havent got caught up yet. and yes he has tried chasing us through the field. not all the time he did it to us once. as WOracing

Thats real smart:rolleyes: . And people wonder why riding areas get closed.

CowsBitePeople
04-19-2004, 07:52 PM
I thought as long as you could toutch the ground flat foor with both feet that u can ride legally any size:confused: