PDA

View Full Version : problem with bearing race

sniffthis400
04-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I ran into a small problem with my carrier on my 400. All the bearings have fallen out and the bearing race is froze inside of the carrier.how would i get this out?

04-18-2004, 08:31 AM
sounds to me like you neglected some routine maintenance & now you may have to pay the prcie for a new bearing carrier, bearings & seals, & a new swingarm possibly...good luck

sniffthis400
04-18-2004, 08:59 AM
i dont need anything new....its just that the bearing race is froze i just need a way to get it out, nothing is wrong in the carrier

04-18-2004, 09:16 AM
if its stuck in there & you have to get it out its prob. gonna damage something....good luck..maybe it time for a big hammer & some :macho

AndrewRRR
04-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Take it to a shop with a hydraulic press and have them press it out. Make sure the carrier doesn't have any nicks or burs when you put the new bearings in or you'll face this problem again.

cgamla
04-18-2004, 02:51 PM
The bearings have to be pressed out from the inside. The trick is to find or fabricate a tool that will catch the inside edge of the bearing. You will also need to make sure the spacer is far enough out of the way. Put the thing solidly in a vice a wallop the holy hell out of it. It may take a while and remember to distribute your beatings evenly or the bearing will get cocked in the bore. Once you get that spacer moved off to one side everything should go alot faster.

sniffthis400
04-18-2004, 03:18 PM
i fixed my problem...i used dry ice to make the contract it so we had to wack it out a little and we were good...and now im up and going..but thanks for the advise guys..