PDA

View Full Version : some tips for wheeling

Kornelius
04-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey i ride a 400ex and i am 13. I am can not wheelie any tips.

04-17-2004, 08:47 PM
keep trying in first gear..just floor it & lean back, if you think your going backwards hit the brake pedal & it slams the four wheeler down so no worrys...you'll learn it soon enough

Rebel7
04-17-2004, 08:48 PM
WHAT ARE YOU RIDING A 400EX AT AGE OF 13! lol jus playing keep trying

JDiablo
04-17-2004, 09:02 PM
lol...13 wow wanna trade a nice 300 for it?lol anyways first try doing them on your kneeling on your seat so if you feel liek your going to fall of you can hope right off...do these in first gear..after you got that down...then you can try sitting doing them....just hold the clutch in a lil bit and get the revs up and then pop the clutch...but dun give it to much gas at first...do it this way and you will be wheeling forever

Kornelius
04-18-2004, 05:28 AM
thanks! And o i am never trading my 400

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:03 AM
i was just kidding....you got any mods,and welcome to the site

04-18-2004, 09:24 AM
popping the clutch method is bad

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:28 AM
i figured it was bad...damaging your plates and basket and stuff....o well i don't do it that much anyway...i mean i still feather the clutch a lil bit to get over puddles and stuff,just enough so the front end lifts up...that better not be bad:o

Kornelius301
04-18-2004, 09:31 AM
wuts ur method

Acidburn
04-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Hmmmm 400ex and riding wheelies, lets see why pop the clutch? just hit the gas and then when you get up just keep feathering it and you will stay up thats all. I never use my clutch only to shift and that is it . yeah just hit the gas and learn from there that is all i did. :)

-Gary

Nausty
04-18-2004, 01:38 PM
do a search!

gir
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
i had a 400ex when i was about 11 or 12. i couldnt wheelie at all cuz i weight only like 95pds. i tried everything, but i was just too small and light to be able to pull and lean enough to cause the quad to wheelie. even with my weigh all the way back (and i mean really back) i could do it. anyways, im 15 now and i weigh about 134pds and ive got the same quad, just with some goodies on it. but i can wheelie now. and the quad feel a lot smaller and the front end is lighter (my motor is pretty much stock so its not that i got more power from teh quad.) now, when im riding, the front end always lifts on me when i hit a little bump. and i can wheelie now. so, dont worry, youll be able to wheelie in no time.

beef77
06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I've been trying to learn how to wheelie, but I'm not sure I have the best technique... It feels the most natural for me to try to wheelie standing up, that way I can give the bars a little tug, and keep my ballance on the pegs...but then I can't seem to find that ballance point for my wheeler...

Getting it up isn't a problem, I just can't seem to find that sweet spot....so I guess my question is, assuming I have plenty of power, which is easier to get a wheelie up and hold it: standing/squatting or sitting? :confused:

JDiablo
06-10-2004, 04:44 PM
http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=63
there is a pic of the balance point basically

06-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Getting it up isn't a problem

when you get older it'll be a problem:devil::eek2: :huh

Ryan
06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
do a search!

Yup. This topic has been beat to death.

beef77
06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sEX
when you get older it'll be a problem:devil::eek2: :huh

LOL :D :devil:

K2Snow
06-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
do a search!

This is the thousandth thread on this topic, all with the same responses essentially. Second gear in the lower RPMS, lean back, give it gas. If the front end isn't in the air, grow some balls and give it more gas. Keep rear brake covered. Probably easier to learn standing up, but once you understand the concept of the "balance point" any variation comes quickly. Quit posting on exriders and go PRACTICE, that's the only way you'll get it bro, good luck.

beef77
06-11-2004, 06:56 AM
FYI, I'm new to this site, and the first thing I did was do a search. About five-bazillion threads came up, and this one was the most current. Next time I'll read all five-bazillion... :huh I was hoping that my specific question about rider position would have been beter accepted than the "duh, how do I get my front tires off the ground" question...guess not. If a thread has been beat to a pulp, and you are fed up with reading about it, you DO have the option of NOT READING IT.

I appreciate the info though, regardless of whether this topic has already been beat up. I will keep practicing. I'm taking a trip to St. Anthony's next weekend, and I'm planning on being a wheelie champ by the time I get back. Sand is much more forgiving! :D

I already busted the crap out of my spiffy 450r tail light and muffler cap because of that potatoe chip grab bar they installed...so I had it re-welded and re-inforced, so it should protect the tail light now, but it still isn't really big enough to protect my muffler cap. Hopefully the sand won't do as much damage as the hard-pack out here in the desert!

beef77
06-11-2004, 07:07 AM
By the way, second gear in the lower RPM's on a 450r will do nothing but bog the engine. It acts like a two stroke. You gotta get the engine to at least to about 4000 RPMs to have any power. Once you're up there however, no neutral-dropping is necessary...just give it gas. :eek2:

beef77
06-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=63
there is a pic of the balance point basically

For some reason, I'm not able to see the pic...but the article was a good read anyway! Thanks!

I don't think I'll try the clutch-dump technique on my 450R though... Sounds like a good way to end up on me arse! :D

RH1N08d9
06-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I tried doing them standing up on the pegs, but you can't ride em for long like that, it's definately easiest to do them sitting down. and don't be afraid to put it back on the grab bar, but softly, 90% of the time it won't flip all the way over!

K2Snow
06-11-2004, 04:36 PM
beef, when I say lower rpms, I don't mean as low as an idle. If you are going to power up a wheelie you wanna do it in the lowest rpm possible, otherwise you'll run out by the time you get it up and won't have any left to maintain that balance. i know what you mean by the bogging out, i don't mean that low of an rpm. stay in the lower 1/3 of the rpms....

K2Snow
06-11-2004, 04:38 PM
ah and beef, good luck with the wheelies in the sand! i don't know how soft the sand is in oregon compared to pismo, but wheelies in the sand can be tough to start out on. i only ride dunes, started out doing wheelies down the beach. i can now pull the front end up in even the softest of sand, definitely more forgiving if you fall but also sometimes harder to maintain balance point, good luck

beef77
06-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try it sitting down some more. It feels like I'm going to slide off the seat, but I guess I'm just going to have to get over that feeling. ;)

Yeah, I found out that you gotta leave yourself enough RPMs to keep it up, otherwise you will be riding the wheelie right at your redline. ;) Still, I'd say on my wheeler you have to be around 1/2 of your RPMs in order to get the front up when you punch it. The powerband is much more top heavy than a normal four stroke.

From the dyno's that I've seen, the powerband of a 400ex is between 1/3 and 2/3 of your max RPMS, whereas my 450r is between 1/2 and the top.

beef77
06-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Even with paddles? I've got some new Sand Stars that I haven't tried yet...

K2Snow
06-12-2004, 02:58 AM
Only time I ever wheelied with paddles was when I rode a yfz450 for the first time and it was on decently hard packed sand along the beach. don't know how well they'd do in softer sand but definitely not smooth enough in anything hard packed. wheelies UP a dune however can be acheived quite easily. i like to approach a big bowl at an angle, pull up a wheelie at the base and ride it all the way around the bowl, letting gravity slowly angle the quad downhill.

beef77
06-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Paddles + Hard Surface = Butt Massage