PDA

View Full Version : timing key?

ReconRider25
04-16-2004, 06:51 PM
what exactly is a timing key and how easy is it to install? this is prob the only mod that i dont know what it is. do you have to dissasemble the motor to put it in or something?:confused:

400exdad
04-16-2004, 07:20 PM
A Recon may be different, but with a 400 and 300, you take off the side cover, where the flywheel is, and remove the flywheel.... usually with a special puller. The timing key is simply a shaved or shifted keyway.... the thing that keeps the flywheel from spinning on the crankshaft. What the advance key is does is advance the timing a few degrees... I think 6. The upside is more throttle response, and better overall power due to the advanced timing. The downside is your possibility of detonation goes up and may require the use of better gas.... especially when the motor is hotter..... while riding slow on hot days or in the dunes. A lot of folks have them without problems.... Oh, one more thing, they can sometimes make a quad harder to start on those hot days too. :) Like when the battery is low or when the gas you are using is cheap. :eek2:

ReconRider25
04-16-2004, 07:25 PM
^^thanks i understand it now. but i dont have the recon anymore. i got a 400 now.;) :p

brian-250
04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
well,the recon dosent even have a side case to get in to:grr: the engine splits ummm,down the middle and vetically:huh just thought id clear that up:o

ReconRider25
04-16-2004, 08:22 PM
^^^thats cuz its mounted the other way dumb dumb. it does have a sidecase whereit would be on a 400 its in the front or rear on a recon.;)