PDA

View Full Version : i am happy

sam the brave
04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
well last week i blew out my axel carrer bearings this
vacation starts tomorrow and i came home from school today and i found bearings and seals on my table so i will have a bike this vacation:blah:

sly400ex
04-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm not happy:(

sam the brave
04-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
I'm not happy:( and y would that be

sly400ex
04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave
and y would that be

Just different BS life is theowing at me right now....

Congrats on the bearings, just take your time and it shouldn't be too bad to install them, do the old freezer trick with the new bearings, makes installation a lot easier!!!:)

hondarider2006
04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Just different BS life is theowing at me right now....

Congrats on the bearings, just take your time and it shouldn't be too bad to install them, do the old freezer trick with the new bearings, makes installation a lot easier!!!:)

Remember to throw your carrier in the oven also;) It will make the old bearings much easier to get out

Berry
04-16-2004, 09:31 PM
put your lug nuts in the microwave while your at it :rolleyes:

CowsBitePeople
04-16-2004, 09:45 PM
i just got new a arms and axle for mine but my break is over:( I only got the weekend to ride now

SGA
04-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Berry
put your lug nuts in the microwave while your at it :rolleyes:
Have YOU ever changed out rear axle bearings?

Berry
04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
nope, i dont plan on it either

why you ask

4wheelboy
04-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Berry
nope, i dont plan on it either

why you ask

becuase u made a smart remark about a sugestion that really dose work:rolleyes:

quad_quazy
04-17-2004, 07:13 PM
the oven trick really works. go buy 2 cans of carb cleaner and get all the grease and dirt off and out of them that you can (removing the seals helps). Then let it dry completely, you can speed this up with some compresed air. Make sure it's okay with the powers that be (ie...MOM, GF, wife) and set the oven to 450 and let it bake for about 30 min. When you take it out the bearings will almost fall out. While it's still warm put the new "frozen" bearings in. When you lube the new bearings put it on the axle. Should take about 3-4 hours start to finish.

ps...don't put your lug nuts in the microvave, it will melt them, LMAO.

JDiablo
04-17-2004, 08:10 PM
450 degrees for 30 mins....i read like 250 degrees for 10-15 mins....o well...lol when you buy a new bearing carrier does it come with the bearings installed already or do you have to install them yourself?this will be on a burgard bearing carrier

SGA
04-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
450 degrees for 30 mins....i read like 250 degrees for 10-15 mins....
You're on to something!
Make sure to baste well, spooning the drippings over the top. Serve with with a side dish of steamed handlebar grips and diced clutch cable. Open a bottle of Le' blinker fluid 1984 and you're good to go.;)

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SGA
You're on to something!
Make sure to baste well, spooning the drippings over the top. Serve with with a side dish of steamed handlebar grips and diced clutch cable. Open a bottle of Le' blinker fluid 1984 and you're good to go.;)

lol...yea yea yea...so how long do you put it in the oven for then and how hot>?

04-18-2004, 09:19 AM
iv'e actually acquired a taste to brake fluid over the years

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
iv'e actually acquired a taste to brake fluid over the years

ahhh i hate the way it smells...then once you get the crap on your hands,and you got dirty hands alreayd it just makes it that much more a pain to get out...stop drinking that brake fluid to lol

SGA
04-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
lol...yea yea yea...so how long do you put it in the oven for then and how hot>?
About 350 till too hot to hold. 20 min or so.
I usually just freeze the bearings to shrink them and dont mess with the carrier in the oven part unless needed.
We used to do this alot at the car repair shop i worked at to install bearings.

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by SGA
About 350 till too hot to hold. 20 min or so.
I usually just freeze the bearings to shrink them and dont mess with the carrier in the oven part unless needed.
We used to do this alot at the car repair shop i worked at to install bearings.

ahh good advice giver i see....well you did it once again:cool:

Berry
04-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
becuase u made a smart remark about a sugestion that really dose work:rolleyes:
that wasnt meant to be a "smart" remark, it was sarcasim and i am sorry if you took it the wrong way.

and i know the advice works, and just because i have never changed my rear bearings doesnt mean i am clueless on how to change them! i have got them changed, but not myself. i get my mechanic work free!

PHIL_B54
04-18-2004, 01:33 PM
when i worked at the local john deere, we used a deep fat frier to oil and heat final drive bearings so they would go over the axle

sam the brave
04-18-2004, 03:08 PM
well the kid who is fixing the bearing with me is woarking all week so i cant ride al vacation and this bike is an 02 and i thoght the bearing would last longer than 2 years

quad_quazy
04-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by SGA
You're on to something!

Silly guy, quads don't have blinkers. :p

I got my ex wife with the blinker fluid trick once. She wasn't to happy, perhaps that's why she's the EX.

To answer 300exrida's question...yes most all new carriers have bearings installed in them.

I have always had to heat my carrier up. I always put it at 450 so there is lots of working time and don't have to heat it up several times and the bearing do pretty much fall out. I tried a propane torch and it didn't work, found the oven to be best and since I'm a single guy I don't have to ask. I love the taste it leaves it my food for the next 6 months. make sure you put it in a disposable pie pan to catch the dripings for later.

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by quad_quazy
Silly guy, quads don't have blinkers. :p

I got my ex wife with the blinker fluid trick once. She wasn't to happy, perhaps that's why she's the EX.

To answer 300exrida's question...yes most all new carriers have bearings installed in them.

I have always had to heat my carrier up. I always put it at 450 so there is lots of working time and don't have to heat it up several times and the bearing do pretty much fall out. I tried a propane torch and it didn't work, found the oven to be best and since I'm a single guy I don't have to ask. I love the taste it leaves it my food for the next 6 months. make sure you put it in a disposable pie pan to catch the dripings for later.

thanks for the answer...in that case then......i won't be doing the oven trick

04-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by quad_quazy
make sure you put it in a disposable pie pan to catch the dripings for later. so you can pour it on your mashed potatoes with a tad of brake fluid...yum