PDA

View Full Version : Sprockets????

frogburner
03-14-2002, 07:50 PM
I have a 400EX with Mega max2 on it and very soon a jet kit. I would like to change one of the sprockets on the bike to make it run just a little faster, BUT DO NOT want to interfere with trail riding in the woods, since its a bit slower and sometimes requires a decent amount of wheel spin, up hills and so. I dont want to ride through the woods slipping my clutch the whole time. Whats the best thing for me to do????? (leave it alone)????

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 08:28 AM
Leave it alone. The stock gearing is the best for a 400. Its perfect. Not too hight,,,not too low. Now if you want to trade top end for low end,,go up on the front or down on the rear. If you want to trade bottom for top,, do the opposite!!

Blysster
03-15-2002, 09:05 AM
With a stock 400 I wouldn't touch the sprockets but since you'll have the jets, filter, and aftermaket pipe going to a 16 tfs will not hurt. You will gain some top end speed and you'll still have the same or more bottom end than stock.

Changing the front sprocket is cheaper and easier than changing the back one but you will need to grind your case saver a little bit for the 16 tooth to fit.

hope this helps.

frogburner
03-15-2002, 09:15 AM
I guess i will wait and see what kinda difference the Jet kit, Filter,pipe, and mod. airbox will have on the bike. If i dont lose any low end, i will have to go with a 16T front sprocket. What kinda Top speed do you think it could reach with a 16T. Think i can hang with a Raptor???

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Even with the 416 I had 16t still seemed too high for me. I took off the 16 and put the 15 back on and I was smokin Raptors and 650's. But if you want a 16t front I have a brand new Talon that Ill put in your door for $10. I paid $25 for it.

frogburner
03-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Well see,
My with my stock 400, i would race stock Raptors and they would drive away from me after i started hitting high end in third gear. I havent noticed any difference in power with just the pipe i have. Everybody talks like you have to have filter, pipe, and jets before you really notice a big difference. Some people say its like your on a different bike. Do you think i can hang with a Raptor after all this with stock sprockets??? What do think i could Max out at????

03-15-2002, 10:15 AM
you need a bigbore kit to hang with stock raptors..pipes, filters, etc won't cut it..

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Rico
you need a bigbore kit to hang with stock raptors..pipes, filters, etc won't cut it..
A-men.

RAPTORAZ
03-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Rico

And a cam.

03-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Yeah I always consider a cam as part of any big bore kit on a thumper..

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 11:14 AM
Just get you a 505:D Then you shouldnt have any problems eatin Craptors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deathbringer
03-15-2002, 12:00 PM
I have no clue why people wonder if a bike with an engine that is 200+ cc's smaller can hang with a bike thats bigger. The answer is very simply NO!!!!!
If you could then Yamaha would have some serious issues to contend with...
Not bashing anyone in anyway just a simple fact...enjoy the bike for what it is..a great bike. If you are going to do that many mods then you should have bought a Raptor in the begining, and did the a-arms and extended the rear, and you would still come out ahead in money compared to the other costs involved with upgradeing a 400ex

Just my 2 cents

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Man you must be confused. A 505EX will SPANK even a 680 modded Raptor. You will have about the same money in both of them!!! I am pure HONDA anyways:D

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Also, If that was true why in the he!! would my 416 SPANK a Raptor???? Huh lets see 244cc's smaller but faster. :rolleyes:

03-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Yeah go over to bluetraxx and read the 20 page thread of all the tranny's issues goin on with the rapturds. No tanks,,I'll keep me honda..:D

Deathbringer
03-15-2002, 12:57 PM
People people people.. I never said that if you stick a bore/stroker kit, change your exhaust, rev limiter, cam, airbox, filter, carb...and so on that you wouldn't equal or maybe beat a Raptor.. I simply said that if you are going to put that much money into it you should have bought a Raptor in the begining. If you put an exhaust and mod the air a little you gain a **** load of power on a Raptor...
So to make a long story short... no I don't like the Raptor... I have a friend that has one and his has been worked on twice within the warranty period...my honda???? nothing...

So don't get all defensive guys.. I love Honda as much as you do, and will be buying the next one they bring out 650-750ex :D

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 01:07 PM
I think you should go buy a Craptor!!j\k You just seem like you were dissin on Honda. If Honda biggest bike was a 50,,,thats prolly what I would be ridin!!!!!!! Then Id put a 105 kit in it and still beat those Craptors:D

Deathbringer
03-15-2002, 01:17 PM
No way man... I love honda... you should see my website.. All I have are pics of the bikes I have owned, and they are all honda's. The only thing not on there is the 2 dirtbikes I owned before I ever got a digital camera.

I shouldn't say I don't like anything else..
What I think applies is the old cliche...."different strokes for different fokes"
All the manufactures out there make a good bike, you just have to find the manufacture that makes the style and bike you like.. I like Honda because I don't like to wrench on the bike all the time... (yes there was something implied) :)

ChadEXer
03-15-2002, 01:39 PM
HONDA for life:D

phatswinn
03-15-2002, 04:56 PM
haha crapters rapturds tht good im wit ya , never owned any but hondas and always will own hondas nomatter what!

frogburner
03-15-2002, 05:10 PM
Guys, I was just wondering about sprockets, i dont want you all to get into arguments. Deatbringer is right, i might as well enjoy it as for what it is and quit trying to eat up a Raptor with mild Mods done to the EX.