PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Speed is here!!

wyndzer
03-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Well my Cannondale finally got here!!
Here is a pic.

kabd69667
03-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Did you have it sent straight to your house?

wyndzer
03-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Not my house, but straight to my office.

03-14-2002, 07:16 PM
did you have to make a speacial order to get one?
isnt there like a shop where you can just pick one up?
did you keep 400ex...
last questions.....how much?!:)

cron-ex
03-14-2002, 07:26 PM
thats *****BAD WORD STARTING WITH THE LETTER F**** pimpin! Thatd be awsome to have a 4wheeler show up right to my house like that. I'd feel like a balla!

c'mon............you can type, so why not read the rules?
4punks

wyndzer
03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
I paid $200.00 to have it shipped from Indiana to NC, no sales tax, so I save about $250.00 from that. Let's just say, that I got my Speed with all the mods listed, and shipped to me for less than just the bike from my local dealer.
R&S Performance Kyle and Carey are awesome!!

4punksdad
03-14-2002, 08:17 PM

Chef
03-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Well how bout some pics out of the crate? First ride report? It has the REALLY nice ohlins on it right? not the arvins, or the lower-grade ohlins?

wyndzer
03-14-2002, 08:40 PM
Check my other posthttp://forums.exriders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10292

DEAL
03-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Those shock covers are sexy :D;) :p

Chef
03-14-2002, 11:20 PM
I am REALLY leaning towards a cannondale for my next quad...do you think there is a way to get anymore bottom end out of it?

Moto92
03-14-2002, 11:31 PM
please tell me those shock covers arent leopard skin...did it come with panties too :D

03-15-2002, 06:10 AM
hot440ex,
to get more bottom just drop a front tooth,
just like what you would do on the 400ex to get more bottom,
or you could buy a pipe and adj. it for bottom

wyndzer
03-15-2002, 07:38 AM
Stock gearing is 13-41 on the Speed, so it is pretty low already. The thing will go about 75mph with this gearing, if I go down on the rear sprocket then I'll prbably add 3-8mph more.
I tried a couple things, put the Speed in 5th going about 15-20 mph and nailed it, it doesn't bog, (fuel injection) it will pull it!! I think I'll just need to get used to the different feel in power. What I'm saying is that the Speed does have bottom end power, it just pulls differently than the 400. Does that make sense?

DEAL
03-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Atleast now we have a cannondale owner whos telling us the truth and the whole truth bout these machines.
And yes that is one of the sweetest machines i have ever seen.

Chef
03-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Yea that makes pretty good sense...i guess i wont need that much bottom for the riding I do anyways...I havent ridden a trail for about 8 months...

kabd69667
03-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Those shock covers are sexy :D;) :p
The whole damn bike is sexy man

Sleeping Catfish
03-15-2002, 03:44 PM
looking good! how loud is the hmf, i was thinking of one of those.

AlaskaSpeed
03-15-2002, 05:18 PM
My Speed will be here in about 2 weeks....can't wait to "suffer" with that lame bottom end............I know there is a joke for JabberJaw in my post somewhere.....hmmmm.........JIM

RideRed04
03-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Nice, I noticed the "rid a pest" on the box right away, I thought they where making fun of you by sending you a death machine!

Guy400
03-16-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Alaska_400EX
My Speed will be here in about 2 weeks....can't wait to "suffer" with that lame bottom end............I know there is a joke for JabberJaw in my post somewhere.....hmmmm.........JIM Jim, congrats on the purchase! I expect a full, non-biased report from you (I know how you like to disseminate non-truths:D). I really wish I knew someone around me that actually bought a Cannondale. I've got a Cannondale dealer almost right next door to where I work so naturally my eyes are always fixated in that direction. I've only ever seen one FX400 leave that place in the back of a truck. I realize that many more have probably been sold I just didn't see them. Just seems like for every 1 Cdale that leaves that dealership I see 15 EX's go (they also sell DS's and they've had the same one on the floor for at least 5 months).

kabd69667
03-16-2002, 06:55 AM
Hey Guy, what dealer is that and where is it at? If it's not too far, i might have to go up and look at 'em

Guy400
03-16-2002, 07:07 AM
It's Midwest Motorsports off of 77. It's on Massillon Rd. (about 3 miles north of the Akron/Canton Airport). Get off at the Massillon Rd. exit and turn left, it'll be about 1/4 mile down on your left. Haven't seen a Cdale quad there in about 2-3 weeks but as of Thursday they did have a couple of Cdale dirt bikes there.

Leo
03-16-2002, 09:55 AM
Any of you cannondale owners want to do me a huge favor..?

Snap some pics of the fuel injection system, and/or scan me any info on it you might happen to have in the owners/service manual..

I'm mostly interested to see if it's custom cannondale parts, or just an assembly of off the shelf parts..

Working with EFI everyday in the shop, I've been dying to come up with something for the 400.. Any manufacturer names / numbers on any of the pieces (especially the ECM + throttle body)..

Thanks,
Leo

dawzie
03-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Talk to Mike Walsh. I know he has been messing with his. He is in Georgia racing this weekend:cool:

wyndzer
03-16-2002, 04:44 PM
Leo the company that makes the fuel injection for Cannondale is Optimum Power (https://www.optimum-power.com) . They have alot of info on the website, for other applications also.
The owners manual (http://www.cannondale.com/motorsports/tech/) is online along with other info. Hope this helps.
Jamie

Sleeping Catfish
03-16-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
Yea that makes pretty good sense...i guess i wont need that much bottom for the riding I do anyways...I havent ridden a trail for about 8 months...

okay! where did this no bottom end rumor come from?:confused: the bottom end is the best fuggin part of the cdale(thanks to the efi)

trx400ex
03-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Sleeping Catfish

okay! where did this no bottom end rumor come from?:confused: the bottom end is the best fuggin part of the cdale(thanks to the efi)
its okay catfish, now we actual have smart people who really have cannondales to talk about them and tell the truth, i dont think anyone is going to believe you over wyndzer or anyone else for that matter:o :o

Guy400
03-16-2002, 07:18 PM
Why must we go through this everytime there's a Cannondale thread?? We have a Cannondale owner who's giving us his honest opinion on his Speed which supports the same comments made by most other Cdale owners from other boards. Everyone comments on the noticeable lack of bottom end except you. Once again, the term "bottom end" refers to power at a given RPM range, not power coming out of a corner or from a start. When you're coming out of a corner on your Cdale and you're pinning the throttle you're not using bottom end power. Bottom end refers to power created at RPM levels less than 3500 or so. Why do you think everyone talks about the Cdale powerplant reminding them of a 2-stroke with the "hit" coming on at midrange and then pulling hard to the limiter?? It's because there's a relative lack of low end power but once the motor hits midrange it takes off. This doesn't mean the Cdale's low end sucks, it just means there's not as much as other quads.

Sleeping Catfish
03-16-2002, 07:28 PM
it just revs to that so fast you can't tell it doesn't have good low end? well from a dead start in 3rd i can jam the throttle on the cannibal and it will pull up, my friend's 400 won't.

Chef
03-16-2002, 07:32 PM
I was just going by what a BELIEVABLE owner said...sorry to burst your bubble, but no one believes a word you say...

Oh, and your friends 400 must not be totally right, cause my bone stock 400 would...

Sleeping Catfish
03-16-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
I was just going by what a BELIEVABLE owner said...sorry to burst your bubble, but no one believes a word you say...

Oh, and your friends 400 must not be totally right, cause my bone stock 400 would...

in 1st gear:blah

seriously, i am talking no leaning back or anything. all i mean is just barely idle and stab it(in 3rd, not moving back any). you must be a twig if yours would.

schism_rhs
03-16-2002, 07:59 PM
"it just revs to that so fast you can't tell it doesn't have good low end? "

--I can't belive that anyone could say something like that, that doesn't make sense. As Guy explained to you if its revving any higher than "3500 or so" then your past your bottom end and if it goes past the bottom end that qucikley then that would be what everyone talks about as the "lack of bottom end". Especially since it seems that just about EVERY Candondale owner except you can acknoledge this.

I think the obvious problem S/C is that you have a large misconception of what "Bottom-end" power is. And for some reason no matter how many times or how Simpley GuyLT250R or anyone else for that matter explains it to you, you just don't seem to get it.

and also about the starting in 3rd gear thing I'm not perfectley sure on this but the 400ex would bog down a little and you would get the advantage because your fuel injection system would keep a constant flow and you wouldn't bog, therefore taking a lead. But this does in no means would have anything to do with your bottom-end argument. You will get a feel for you bottom end in 1st and 2nd gear around 3rd you should be entering into the Mid-range power.

I myslef agree with GuyLT250R in that we shouldn't have to go through this everytime that there is a Canondale disscussion, everyone here just has to realize that their argueing with a Kid, that as far of the Mechanics of his machine goes, Has no Clue what He's talking about...I would by no means consider myself Mechanically inclined but I at least try to keep a bit of common sense in head

Sleeping Catfish
03-16-2002, 08:14 PM
I see what he is saying, but it does not matter. I understand it may not have good power in the sub 3500 rpm range!!!!!! The thing is it still is the holeshot king. it may not have good bottom end, but it will launch you off the start better, which is all that really matters. what i am saying is the 400ex may have better bottom end, but if you line up a cannibal and a 400ex and go and everything goes correctly, the 400ex will NEVER be ahead.

schism_rhs
03-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Dude but no one is arguing that fact...correct me if I'm wrong but you just said that the Canondale may not have the best bottom end, but blah blah that doesn't matter whatever....but b4 what you said was that your bike DOES have awsome Bottom end...why couldn't you have just said that in the first place !

Sleeping Catfish
03-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by schism_rhs
Dude but no one is arguing that fact...correct me if I'm wrong but you just said that the Canondale may not have the best bottom end, but blah blah that doesn't matter whatever....but b4 what you said was that your bike DOES have awsome Bottom end...why couldn't you have just said that in the first place !

sorry. i have heard bottom end used two ways.

DEAL
03-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Catfish , My 300ex will pull up in 3rd from a dead stop with no pulling up or leaning back, so i don't see why a 400ex wouldn't.

RideRed04
03-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Sleeping Catfish
sorry. i have heard bottom end used two ways.

And that would be... It was explained many times what he ment by bottom end, and you repetedly told him he was wrong. I am just wondering what the 2 ways are because that would definately help in future "discussions".

CranMan
03-17-2002, 04:57 AM
Guys I think that horse is dead already. Once the arguing and bickering goes past a certian point it's ignorant. Who cares anymore about who's right or wrong??? This is (or was) a good thread about Wyndzer's new C-dale....Besides, I'd expect a C-dale owner to be on the defensive here...it's not like we don't pick apart the "competition" everytime a new quad comes out that is in the 400ex's league.... :rolleyes: