PDA

View Full Version : Long Travel Linkage for Axis

Lethalhonda
04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know if you can use a long travel linkage such as the Houser or Elka with a Axis shock??

Pappy
04-15-2004, 06:35 PM
big negative with the elka linkage

the houser will work but to get the extra travel you need to get the correct shock

tstrenuous10
04-16-2004, 11:03 AM
this is something i really dont understand. how do you get long travel on a quad and what would be the use of it? i know on a buggy and sand rail it rides smother and you can jump and land softer but how much wider does it make your ront end and how much longer does the quad get?

Pappy
04-16-2004, 11:36 AM
LT on a quad does nothing for the width or length. at one tme LT offered a decent amount of shock travel over standard shocks...thats not always the case nowadays.

from what ive been told the only big benefit with LT shocks is that it allows the builder more conrol over how the shocks are set up internally and a slight amount of increased travel.

Lethalhonda2
04-16-2004, 05:17 PM
So what do you mean by "correct shock"? I know Axis makes a long travel rear shock. I'm getting a complete Arens chassis with his long travel front end. I wanted to get the back long travel also. I just didnt want to have Axis on front and Elka on back.

Pappy
04-16-2004, 05:32 PM
with that chassis id consult axis and the frame builder beofre buying ANY linkage. and if your going to do that set up id follow axis's advice

muff
04-17-2004, 09:01 PM
the long travel rear axis is quite different than the long travel rear end elka. the elka is just different linkage/springs, the axis long travel is actually a longer shock, the upper shock mount is repositioned (causing you to have to rig your own intake from the airbox to the carb)

after riding and now owning a nice set of long travels, i will never go back to standards again

as for the quad getting longer/wider that only depends on how much sag you have set on the shocks, that doesnt depend on if the shock is LT or not

tstrenuous10
04-18-2004, 10:31 AM
what are the benefits of long travel over extended a arms and shocks? is it mostly a race thing or would it really be beneficial for someone like me who runs hills, trails, dunes and backyard riding? i kinda wanna keep it inside the bed of my s 10 so i can still pull up without a little trailer.

muff
04-18-2004, 03:49 PM
i think it wouldnt be worth it for you unless you found a good deal on a used setup.

it will fit in the back of your pickup fine with +3 a-arms on it, unless you have one of those beds that dont go over the wheel wells

Lethalhonda2
04-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Well this changes things!! So I'm not going to hack up this new frame just to bolt on a Axis shock. Is it worth going with a Elka back shock with linkage and keep Axis on front, or just stick with Axis and get the standard travel shock? I see Walsh is in this linkage game now. I'm still trying to figure out these linkage deals... Hey where is gabe?? HELP.

Lethalhonda2
04-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey Muff do you have the long travel on the back of your quad or just front?

muff
04-18-2004, 08:30 PM
I have a standard travel rear axis shock and PEP long travel front shocks. its an awesome setup, i really like it, but if i had to pick a new setup right now it would be the LT elka front and rear. I dont really understand why you are only limited to the Axis fronts?

my friend has LT elka front and rear on his yfz and the suspension is just unreal. the shocks are so smooth, they soak up all the small and big stuff. what do you mean by walsh is in this linkage game? I had only known of them using the Elka linkage :confused:

and heres a pic of my friends yfz with elkas :devil: just look at the rear travel when he's in the air

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/pe73361dce395d5fa6b1374b2496789a6/f8f66682.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid112/pa21e1c7c6ebefc3e012850024b24f7e2/f8f6667d.jpg

86atc250r
04-18-2004, 08:31 PM
What chassis are you working on?

Lethalhonda2
04-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Muff-- I already have Elka shocks and have never liked them. I just dont think the zps and XC mix well together. I bought these shocks when Elka first came out and the setup was horrible! I know they have come a long way but I'm just feel more confident in the Axis.

Lethalhonda2
04-19-2004, 05:24 AM
86atc250r -- I have a Arens chassis (400ex) and his long travel A-arms on the way.

muff
04-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Lethalhonda2
Muff-- I already have Elka shocks and have never liked them. I just dont think the zps and XC mix well together. I bought these shocks when Elka first came out and the setup was horrible! I know they have come a long way but I'm just feel more confident in the Axis.

ahh i see. even though the setup was horrible did you ever get them rebuilt? zps does have its advantages but you cant run it to low when your running XC. did you ever mess around with the settings?

i'm not tryin to hassle ya just tryin to get all the info

and i have elka shocks on my XC quad and I love them. they're so smooth and soak up so much it amazes me for standard travel, i have triple rate fronts and a rebuilt rear

Lethalhonda2
04-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Yes they have been rebuilt. I have heard quite a few people tell me that they had the same problem as I did. Most of them went with Axis as their next shock and love them. I spent alot of money on those shocks and they should have been better than they were. I feel a little more confident in Axis. Heck after my first rebuild, my rear shock went to Elka and was never returned! I was told the shock should have never been sold to me! They did however give me a new shock at no charge. I wont take anything away from them as far as customer service or quality, just setup. So there has to be more 400ex riders around with this same problem!! What has everyone else tried? Just settle with a standard length shock? I dont want to make another $2000 mistake...

Lethalhonda2
04-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Well thanks to all that posted. I was told that Houser does not make a long travel linkage for the 400ex. The only real way to get long travel is to change the location of the upper shock mount. I thought about the Elka linkage but running zps in the rear and standard shock in the back also sounded like a step backwards. So I went with Axis all the way around.Maybe someone will come out with a long travel setup soon but until then......