PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil system help!!!!

whiteboarder
04-15-2004, 05:51 PM
i was woundering how does the system work because i think mine is not working righ because i will go and run it for a while then check my oil and it will register very little then i whipe the dipstick off and stick it back in and re check it and there will be no oil on it. also i just changed the oil the day before and put the right amount into it. is this how it is suppose to be or do i have a leak i dont know about. also it doesnt smoke like i would be burning oil. well let me know what you think.

JOEX
04-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (a total of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.

whiteboarder
04-15-2004, 08:29 PM
i have a manual and i followed those directions

04'400ex'er
04-15-2004, 09:04 PM
when you change the oil, put the 2 quarts or whatever it calls for in the oil tank iniatially. start the machine and run for five min. let sit for 2-3 min and check. fill the tank little by little, checking the dipstick every time( do not screw the dipstick in just hold it on top of the tank).once you get it near the full level,screw the dipstick in, start the machine, and run for 5 more min. let sit for a couple more min. check the level again and if it dosent have oil on the dipstick then, you have clogged up oil lines, or a serious problem. you should prob. cunsult your mechanic then.

whiteboarder
04-15-2004, 09:06 PM
what could the serious problem be. also how do i tell if my lines are clogged? will replacing the oil tank with a new one possibly fix the problem.

400rednEX
04-16-2004, 03:06 AM
they say when your oiling system goes bad oil collects in your cases, this could be where it's going. pull the oil level plug in the side of the case and if oil runs out that might be it.

400rednEX
04-16-2004, 03:07 AM
did you check the screen in the oil line coming out of the bottom of the tank?

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 12:37 PM
is the oil level plug the one that you take out to drain the oil its located on the left side by the foot peg

F-16Guy
04-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by whiteboarder
is the oil level plug the one that you take out to drain the oil its located on the left side by the foot peg
That is the case drain plug. You should be removing that, as well as the tank drain plug and the oil filter, every time you change your oil. There is no oil level check bolt like you see on some dirt bikes.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 12:54 PM
i new that oil should be comming out of both drain plugs which it does. do you think that my bike might take more then the required amount and how much makes a difference on the level thing because i did spill a little of the oil when i put in both quarts do you think i just didnt put in enough

hosted
04-16-2004, 03:17 PM
I went through the same thing with mine the first time I changed the oil. I took everything off and checked everything that I thought could be a problem. I ended up just adding more. It has been like that ever since too. I usually put in about 2.5 quarts and it is about 1/2 to 3/4 to the top of the dipstick.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 04:03 PM
i just added more oil and it then ran it for about 5 minutes and it still doesnt register so are my oil lines clogged. if so how do i clean them out. and is there a pump somewhere that pumps the oil to the cooler and if so where is that is it in the oil tank if so then should i just replace it because i have a brand new oil tank. i just havent installed it yet

nakomis0
04-16-2004, 06:07 PM
What yr is your 400ex? Just asking because I've heard of possibly faulty oil pumps on the 1999s.

I have no clue of what faulty or clogged oil pump symtoms are... :confused:

What is the max oil for a full disassembled motor? 2.5 qts?
I would find that out and continue to add till you add the max qt when totally drained.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 06:37 PM
its a 2000 model. do you think it is hurting my engine if i run it.

JOEX
04-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
That is the case drain plug. You should be removing that, as well as the tank drain plug and the oil filter, every time you change your oil. There is no oil level check bolt like you see on some dirt bikes.
There is an oil level check bolt. On the right side case, it's the bolt just below the bolts that attatch the oil lines to the case.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 08:59 PM
so if oil comes out of there then what do i do i will go and check

JOEX
04-16-2004, 09:10 PM
The oil pump maintains the oil level in the crankcase. The oil level should be level with the bottom of the hole. If it is not then there are other problems. Someone else will have to help you with troubleshooting. I wouldn't run it until it's fixed.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 09:11 PM
alright i went out there to check it out and first i checked it and there was no oil. but then it was on a jack because i am working on the rear end so then i noticed it was leaning back a bit and not totally level so then i razed it up a bit but then it was leaning forward a little and when it leaned forward i took the screw out again and there was a little oil comming out.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 09:12 PM
so then probably since it was leaning forward it leaked because it wasnt level.

JOEX
04-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Possibly.....

When you changed the oil how much did you put in? Was the motor warmed up? Did you change the filter as well? I think there is a screen near the bottom of the tank where the line is attatched, i'd check that first.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 09:19 PM
in total i have probably put in 2.5 quarts now and i didnt change the filter at that time. so you want me to check the screen on the line where you take it off from the tank. also should more oil come out of the tank or the case when you drain the oil.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 09:21 PM
yes the motor was warmed up

JOEX
04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
If there is oil in the tank then it will come out if you disconnect the oil line near the bottom. I'm not positive there is a screen there, I maybe thinking of something else.

There is a screen in the bottom of the motor but you have to remove the right side case to get to it. It is reccommended to clean it after breaking in a rebuilt motor.

When was the last time the filter was changed?

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 09:47 PM
alright i drained the little bit that was in the tank and then i took off the whose at the bottom i didnt notice any screen there but it flowed throught that line fine then i blew it out. do you think it has anything to do with the tank. should i take off the rest of the oil lines and make sure they are flowin good also

JOEX
04-16-2004, 09:57 PM
The screen is on the piece that the line connects to, remove that part to get to the screen.

Now that I think about it, since you're adding oil to the tank and it's not showing up that means it is going through the strainer to the crankcase. Might as well remove and clean it anyway along with the other lines.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
alrtight this is sorta confusing sorry about that so the screen is on the bottom line where it conects to the tank is that what you are saying. you said might as well remove it and clean it with the other lines do you mean all the oil lines.
thanks for the help by the way

Originally posted by JOEX
The screen is on the piece that the line connects to, remove that part to get to the screen.

Now that I think about it, since you're adding oil to the tank and it's not showing up that means it is going through the strainer to the crankcase. Might as well remove and clean it anyway along with the other lines.

JOEX
04-16-2004, 10:08 PM
It's not on the line itself, it's on the piece that the line attaches to the tank. Remove that piece from the tank and the screen will be on the other side.

I feel like i've been sending you on a wild goose chase:p lol.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 10:10 PM
so i unskrew that do you have an email address so we can talk through there and also i want to send you a pic of the part that i think you want me to unscrew just to make sure so that i dont brake anything.

whiteboarder
04-16-2004, 10:20 PM
ok i see the screen i unsrewed it and alot of oil came out of there. do you think that was my problem. that the screen was just clogged.

JOEX
04-16-2004, 10:21 PM
joe340@peoplepc.com try to get under 100k i'm on dial up and about done for the night;)