PDA

View Full Version : key problems

Chanman420q
04-15-2004, 12:39 PM
im really getting tired of the wiring on my quad, everything is breaking. alright well i got a 250r hood on my quad now, and i need to mount the iginiton somewhere else, so i start it, drive it out of shed into my garage, shut it off, take off all the plastic so on and so on, made the hole, plugged the iginiton back in and nothing..... wont crank, checked the fuse nothing, i have no idea, im gunna pick up a new iginiton from the dealer tomarrow and seeing if that will fix it, til then wtf!!

KHB
04-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Hey I had a key problem with my 400ex as well. But mine is a long story as to why. To make a long story short my friend was riding it and he got jumped by some a**holes on horses and they stole the key. Needless to say I could not find my spare. So I simply jumpered out the ignition switch all together. It works great it look like it needs a key but it fires right up. I did leave the neutral light hooked up but I just leave it in gear when I park it. I have not had any problems as of yet. Way cheaper then the factory part. I did look in ebay for a while. All the ignition switches I found went for way to much money. Hope my story can help and maybe save u a buck or two.

Chanman420q
04-15-2004, 08:35 PM
im keeping the key, i dont know what would cause this, im gunna buy another oem switch tomarrow and try that. it better be it, or i may just part this stupid thing out and look to buy a yfz or trx

Atreyu
04-15-2004, 08:44 PM
I had the same problem you are having. I took it to the shop at had them rewire everything and remove my key, oem switch, and neutral light. Works great now.

smith_400ex_213
04-15-2004, 08:59 PM
cjeck your ground wires...i was out riding and my grounds came lose and i could figure out why until i shook some wires and i seen it wasnt grounding out..aybe thats it

Chanman420q
04-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by smith_400ex_213
cjeck your ground wires...i was out riding and my grounds came lose and i could figure out why until i shook some wires and i seen it wasnt grounding out..aybe thats it

where are the wires grounded at? got a diagram? would i find this in a manual?

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 10:58 PM
this sounds like a problem of loose battery terminals...check all your terminals....and even the ground wire thats comming from the battery going to the frame....also....there is a rubber boot on your starter with a wire running to the sylenoid (sp) take and pull that boot off and see if them bolts that hold that wire to the starter are connected....this happend to my friend before and we went thru the entire wiring system until we decided to pull that boot off and that wire wasnt even connected...we tightened it down and its fine...if you have no juice what so ever to headlights, nutral, and no fire then its got to be that ground or the hot wire....

Chanman420q
04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
these are all good ideas but the thing is guys, it started fine, drove it to the driveway, took all plastic off unhooked the ignition, rehooked the ignition and nothing. none of those other wires were even touched. so im clueless

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:54 AM
ok.....MAYBE you plugged the key switch plug into the wrong 1...i kno ive did it before i took my front plastics off and i accidently plugged the key switch into the headlight plug, and the head light plug into the key switch....check and make sure...if you did this then it wouldnt start...also check them wires there is like 2 or 3 wires under the plastic that are single wires they aint in the bundle with the key or head light....one is i think pink, one is black, and 1 is green...make sure they are hooked up

Chanman420q
04-16-2004, 10:27 AM
nope, the headlight plug is in the back and the ignition plug is in the front, the neutral light wires, are black and light green and the other key switch wire is dark green. so i know its hooked up right. i think i just jerked somehing lose when i was messin with it, ill buy the new ignition and if that doesnt solve it.... then i dunno, to the dealer it goes:(

thanx for the help tho... any other ideas

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
check all the stuff i said in an earlier post...because ive done that shyt before ive rode it some where, turned it off, and then the som bioch wont start back up...have u tried roll startin it yet

smith_400ex_213
04-16-2004, 05:19 PM
one of the ground wires is coming off of the battery.. the black wire bolting onto the frame.. i was out riding once shut it off went to go turn i back on adn nothing i wigled that wire she sparked a couple of time and then fired up...the other one is up front...im not sure were it is on the stock 400 but on mine i have the pro-design tether switch..adn its hooked to the left hand fneder mount