PDA

View Full Version : Feeler guage, slight drag, valve adjustment?

Hondaluva
04-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Can someone better explain 'slight drag' when useing a feeler guage during valve adjustment. I thought I had my valve adjstment spot on, but there seems to be a lot of ticking coming from the motor. I dialed the valves in with the feeler guage but I can never tell if it's tight enough. Not sure if I am just being paranoid because this is my first season with my 440 and hotcam or what.

cals400ex
04-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Hondaluva
Can someone better explain 'slight drag' when useing a feeler guage during valve adjustment. I thought I had my valve adjstment spot on, but there seems to be a lot of ticking coming from the motor. I dialed the valves in with the feeler guage but I can never tell if it's tight enough. Not sure if I am just being paranoid because this is my first season with my 440 and hotcam or what.

yeah, slight drag isn't enough. i went through the same thing. it needs to be where you cant fit the next size in. with slight drag, i guarantee you can fit at least the next size in and maybe two sizes bigger with a little force. however, you shouldn't have to force it in but it will definately have more than slight drag. unless i consider slight drag not much at all and some people consider that fairly tight.

TORO1968
04-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Unfortunately, knowing exactly what a "slight drag" is takes some experience to get used to... Cals400ex summed it up well...hopefully that will help you out.

BTW, in my opinion, it's better to have a valvetrain a little bit noisy than to wonder if you have too little clearance between the rockers and valves.

-Jordan