PDA

View Full Version : Running with no silencer

NikNacs67
04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
I assume its bad for the engine but I haven't really thought about it much but what happens if you run a 4 stroke with no silencer?

Hondaluva
04-15-2004, 11:31 AM
You irritate the neighbors, fauna and just about everything in a square mile area. And you provoke activists to create legislation to close trails and riding areas. Not to mention the TERRIBLE things it does to your engine internals...:devil:

Pvt. Maggot
04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
i herd it isn't too great for the valves but u can do it...i dunno i herd it gives you more top end but you loose alot of bottom from loss of backpressure

NikNacs67
04-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Im not worried about noise, more if it will burn up the valves or sieze somthing. I ordered an HMF for my Warrior April 7th and it won't be in till the 21st and I have a race saturday the 17th but Im not gonna race without a silencer. I just need to know what it will hurt for a fact before I start it up and test my new tires out.

Towlieee
04-15-2004, 11:46 AM
wont hurt it for a short time..
im not even sure if it'l hurt over the long run..

make it run a lil leaner..

Been running my friends 300ex without the silencer for a couple months now..

DEAL
04-15-2004, 11:51 AM
I'd rather not race than run without a silencer, It f's up your valves pretty badly, sounds like crap and you loose a ton of power.

Towlieee
04-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DEAL
I'd rather not race than run without a silencer, It f's up your valves pretty badly, sounds like crap and you loose a ton of power.

lose a ton of power? sounds like crap?..

seemed to make my buddys 300ex gain a lil top end (seat of pants) and sounds pretty mean now..

are you guys talking about the peice that slides in the muffler? or the muffler? (a friend of mine calls the muffler the silencer, i think of the small insert as the silencer)

Hondaluva
04-15-2004, 12:08 PM
You irritate the neighbors, fauna and just about everything in a square mile area. And you provoke activists to create legislation to close trails and riding areas. Not to mention the TERRIBLE things it does to your engine internals...

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a tool. I guess I should just stick to the original question.:rolleyes:

I have heard some people say that you can scorch your valves but maybe that is just because it would tend to lean out a bit...No back pressure would take away from the bottom end and add a bit to the top end. Is is worth it for your race?

DangerousDean
04-15-2004, 12:41 PM
i dont see how it would be bad... lots of aftermarket silencers are almost hollow anyways.. theres no chambers really in them to create backpressure..

NikNacs67
04-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Blowing up a Four Stroke Tech 446cc $2000 motor for once race isn't worth running with no pipe. My old HMF was straight through. I started it and rode down the street full throttle, top end was incredible and low end was good too. With rear American Racers, it spins em like crazy.