PDA

View Full Version : Carrier bearing went out how hard are they to replace and how do ya do it?

ranger400ex1994
04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
well i went to the MX track for the first time this year and after about 8 laps i started to hear some grinding coming from my swing arm by the sprocket now at first i just thought i had a rock in the brake so i stoped and checked it out and no rock to be found then i thought my skip place got bent up so i took it off but it kept grinding when i let the clutch out then my buddy told me his quad did the same thing and his carrier bearing was bad. now how hard is it to replace and what tools would i have to use? i want to try and do it myself and learn how to do it. can someone shead some light on this bearing.

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:33 AM
not hard to change...take the axle off by removing the right hub/tire take off the axle nut, then take off the brake caliper, then take rotar off, take the snap ring off the brake caliper mount, take rear sprocket and chain off...then the axle should come out with a lil force...after u have gotten the axle out take the bolts loose on back of the swing arm, then the axle housing should come out if im correct...then ive never tried this trick but! some have said to put the carrier in an oven and the bearings will come out eazier...never done it but im pretty sure it will work

hondarider2006
04-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Do a search next time.....;)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16357

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17641

sniffthis400
04-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Wow thats not right putting a carrier in the oven i dont think thats very good..the bearings probably come out easy because you melted everythign around em...i dont htink id try that

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 09:26 PM
i believe it will work

04-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by sniffthis400
Wow thats not right putting a carrier in the oven i dont think thats very good..the bearings probably come out easy because you melted everythign around em...i dont htink id try that worked for me twice...its very difficult if you dont do this...

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
jumbo u have had to replace 2 sets of bearings...demn....u must ride in alot of mud/water

04-16-2004, 05:30 AM
i ride alot..i have about 500 hours on it in a littloe over a year

sniffthis400
04-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Im kinda of confused of how that will work...i actually have to replace em all today but i dont think im gonna go and put mine in the oven...
Do you think you could explain this theory of yours so we know how it works.

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:57 AM
search feature was put there for a reason.....i cant actually explain the actual theory...but i can understand it...the heat will melt the rubber seals arround the ballbearings, the balls will fall out then you just take the outter ring out...thats my theory...im not sure if its correct tho so dont hold me to that

sniffthis400
04-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Well yeah thats kinda what i was thinking but what about the rubber like metling to the carrier?that wouldnt be to good at all or maybe you just set your over to bake on 350 degrees for liek 5 minutes or somethign who knows

HiZ
04-16-2004, 10:25 AM
You can heat it up w a torch if you don't like the oven idea but the oven works. You should also stick your Insertable pieces into the freezer. Like the bearings, put them in the freezer and heat the carrier or what ever you are going to put them into. Take your seals out first and you will ot have to worry about melting them and make sure to put it on some foil or you will have Grease all over!

JOEX
04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16357

It's only 250*;)