PDA

View Full Version : Gas leak when riding wheelie

njohn244
04-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I've got a 97' 300ex and when i ride wheelies on it gas leaks out what i think is an overflow tube that runs down by the swingarm. Is this normal for it to run out of there like that. It runs onto my swingarm and i can smell it after i do a wheelie. Is my float just not adjusted right? Thanks

DangerousDean
04-14-2004, 11:49 PM
you shouldnt worry to much
My 400ex does it, so does my buddys ex, and my other buddys craptor....

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:29 AM
put a screw in the overflow vent hose

hondarider2006
04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
if you were to put a screw in the hose....or clamp it off, wouldn't that flood out the carb or anything???

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:45 AM
yea if your a "hard core" wheelie rider it will eventually fill the hose up...ive got an idear tho....mount an old water bottle on your quad and have the hose running to the empty water bottle there for wont loose no gas lol just take it off dump it back in your tank and keep on ridding

hondarider2006
04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Well I can ride wheelies for over a mile....so I guess I would be a "hard core" wheelier, so I don't think I am going to stick a screw in the end of the hose. Maybe getting an aftermarket carb would stop the problem, or do they still leak also??

biker
04-15-2004, 04:21 AM
....mount an old water bottle on your quad and have the hose running to the empty water bottle there for wont loose no gas lol just take it off dump it back in your tank and keep on ridding

LMFAO:D :D

that some funy ***** there bub but I would'nt do it!!:eek2: :eek2:

UglyMotha™
04-15-2004, 06:29 AM
:rolleyes: don't plug your vent, honda didn't exactly stick it there just to look pretty

400exdad
04-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Yep, that's the vent hose. If you plug it, the fuel will cease to pour out.... and pour into the carb. :eek:

04'400ex'er
04-15-2004, 08:55 PM
The overflow tube is just there to keep gas from gettin all over everything. it it wasnt there, the gas would be everywhere. when your bike is on level groung, the float bowl is full of gas. when the bike is at extreme angles,the gas in the float bowl runs out the overflow hole. all bikes have overflow valves on the carbs. they will drain if you roll it on its side. dont worry bout it man

Towlieee
04-16-2004, 06:04 AM
If you plug the whole your bike wont run anyways..

took my friends 300ex through some water, died when the lines went under water

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 06:20 AM
bull shyt about the hole getting plugged...apparently your friend dont kno what hes talking about his quad proally stalled because of something dumb....you can plug the hole up...but eventually that line is gonna get full of gas and then its gonna flood your bike....only way your friends bike stalled is because he got the breather vent hose clogged...NOT the gas overflow vent

400exdad
04-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Heres the deal with the vent tube/overflow. If you are on level ground and it's spewing gas.... you've got a problem. When you are riding, especially wheelies and gas is pouring out, its normal. Plugging it will cause problems with gas flow... just like it does when you pour gas from your gas can into your quad with the tank vent (little yellow thingy :D ) closed. Eventually gas will stop coming out. With the carb, gas comes in the bowl through the fuel line and air flows out the vent hose, which is also an overflow.

Hondaluva
04-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Maybe getting an aftermarket carb would stop the problem, or do they still leak also??

Guess I don't see it as a problem. Just ride wheelies all day long and be happy.

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
bull shyt about the hole getting plugged...apparently your friend dont kno what hes talking about his quad proally stalled because of something dumb....you can plug the hole up...but eventually that line is gonna get full of gas and then its gonna flood your bike....only way your friends bike stalled is because he got the breather vent hose clogged...NOT the gas overflow vent

why do the idiots that know absolutly nothing have to ramble on, your the one that has absolutly no clue what there talking about :rolleyes:

not a single thing that rolled out of you mouth is true, "eventually it's goin to fill up with gas and flood your bike".............. that's got to be the most retardest thing i have ever heard, and YES if you plug the line your bike will absolutly not run, why else do you think they put a vent line on the carb do think that if it was possible to plug that vent and the bike still run then why would they even put one on the carb, just too look pretty :huh

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:15 AM
that is a DRAIN HOSE DICKHEAD.....its a overflow dump to the bowl...i will go outside and start my quad up and stick my finger over the overflow vent that comes from the bowl and i bet any amount of money that it will not stall

we are talking about the hose that runs from the bowl to the ground...yes that might be a breather hose also...but its a overflow for when your quad is off camber....wheelies, hill climbs, so on and so on...it dumps the gas out of the bowl when it fills up...there is 2 other hoses on the carb. u must be talking about....they are both ONTOP of the carb...they are not hanging down under the swing arm....dont ****in call me retarded unless u kno me...and apparently you dont...so stfu...

RMX500
04-16-2004, 07:20 AM
so only people that know you call you retarded? :huh

just kiddin :p

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:21 AM
and mostly keihin carbs dump fuel like that because most keihins carbs have a accelarator pump (sp)....my buddys raptor doesnt leak gas like that, and my other buddys z400 doesnt leak gas like that either and neither 1 of them have an accelarator pump thats why u can not flood a raptor, nor a z400 they both come factory with mikuni carbs, just about all hondas come with keihin...my old 250x did it, my honda recon did it, my 300ex does it, and my 400ex does it too...

RMX500
04-16-2004, 07:25 AM
pred's got a mikuni too.. but it still over-flows the same as the honda's or keihin machines

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:26 AM
raptor and z400 has mikuni and they do not do that when ridding wheelies like my 400ex does...

RMX500
04-16-2004, 07:27 AM
i don't think it has to do with the carb. the pred's mikuni does it yet a raptors doesn't.

odd.

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:30 AM
well im just stating the fact...banshees dont leak, raptors dont leak, nor do the z slowhundred....maybe your pred's carb has an accelerator pump!

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 07:33 AM
your too funny :o

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:35 AM
how bout you kiss my grits...go look a 400ex carb, there is 3 hoses on there....must i go take pics for retarded kids like you...

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:36 AM
that is NOT an air vent...there is 2 air vents on top of the carb

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:43 AM
http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/images/choke3.jpg

ok this is for the slow kids (uglymotha) you see on the bowl of the carb. that is an overflow tube, you see on the port there is 2 hoses...THOSE ARE AIR VENTS....

and on the exact opposite side of the carb it has 2 more air vents

RMX500
04-16-2004, 07:52 AM
owned? :confused:

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 07:53 AM
rmx500 what is that posta mean?

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 08:08 AM
LMAO, slow kid huh? you shoulda stuck your foot in your mouth a long time ago before you get schooled, the lines that you point out on top of the carb....... none of them even lead to the bowl and if you notice each one is connected somewhere on the carb there is no open end so how can you even begin to think that it is a vent, just a little fyi the hoses on top of the carb is what operates your air cut off valve and the hose on the bottom is indeed, the drain/vent line................ so run along and play now :rolleyes:

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:13 AM
i never said the lines up top led to the bowl your putting words in my mouth...they are vents....i got my point across...that hose on bottom of the carb is a drain/vent line as i stated in an earlier post....

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
that is NOT an air vent...there is 2 air vents on top of the carb

ooooohhhh, so were changing our story now are we, not calling me stupid anymore either huh.............. i dunno i just quoted one of your previous posts and right there is says that you said that is not a vent, so now your saying it's a vent too.......... wow and no you have yet to get your point across, also explain how the lines are vents on top of the carb i just told you what they do and you just said that the lines don't vent the bowl, so what exactly vents you bowl, cause since you say that you can plug your drain line then what is goin to vent the bowl, can you point that out for me

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:39 AM
ok...what that kid said was his friends 300ex drain/vent got coverd up by water....only way its going to stall out like that is if he had it in water for a long time ive took my old 250x and took it thru a river, it was about up to the head pipe, didnt do anything it didnt stall my quad.....so can you mr know it all tell me why his quad woulda stalled out and mine wouldnt have??

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 08:46 AM
well there's many reason his quad died, and it wasn't because the vent was under water, because on this one you are actually correct (one cookie for you) when the vent is submerged under water air can still escape from the bowl, it's only when you take things such as screws and stuff and plug your line that the bike will die, also if you get it plugged with mud good enough that will also kill the bike, but my guess on this situation would either be A.) he took on water via the air intake, or B.) his electrical system ground out

there's your first wish, you have 2 remaining

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:50 AM
what sounds like to me what happend to that kids quad is he drounded the motor, water proally enterd thru the air box, and got sucked up into the carb,

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
i see you selected option A, that is usually the number one fault and most likely

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
i plugged the drain/vent on my 250x for a while then took it out...now answer this 1....why didnt it kill out my motor then???

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 08:59 AM
im not completely dumb...ive been ridding quads since i was 16 mths old...the rents would sit me infront of them and ride me on the quads...im just saying that from the sound of that kids story the water itself is what killed his friends motor, not the hose...