PDA

View Full Version : trx or yfz for desert

BYRD-MAN
04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
I want to stat desert racing and i was wondering what is better in the desert? A trx or a yfz?

Dunesurfer
04-14-2004, 10:59 PM
YFZ, I know you can't touch them in the dunes;)

twisted threads
04-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by BYRD-MAN
I want to stat desert racing and i was wondering what is better in the desert? A trx or a yfz?

Which bike won the BAJA 1000?;) :cool:

RMX500
04-15-2004, 05:49 AM
the 450R :D

seatec
04-15-2004, 06:09 AM
which bike had a freaking helicopter run(fly) interference for it?:devil:

J/K. Again, either one will do since you have to make mods to adapt to that kind of racing anyway. go with the one that suit your needs best. Ride both of them if you can.

Pappy
04-15-2004, 06:57 AM
id say either will do the job, it will depend on what mods you plan on doing. the TRX responds really well to typical mods and can be made to haul arse...as stated above its proven itself already in Baja conditions.

Id also think with less electronics the trx maybe more reliable in that type of racing.

JWhite
04-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Great points. The YFZ could have the kicker installed too. That would help the electronics factor.

They are both great machines. Ride them both.

Crayfish
04-15-2004, 09:24 AM
For desert racing the TRX might have the edge at first, one it has taller gearing in stock trim(easy fix for the yfz). Also the trx has a bigger gas tank(not by much), but if you are serious you will probably need to swap either one out any way. And as stated above the trx does have less electronics which does lend itself to a more trouble free ride. Most important is you need to ride or atleast sit on both comfort in the desert is huge, which again the trx has the edge(seat).

Scottie Mac
04-15-2004, 04:29 PM
If you are planning on racing a YFZ in the desert, you'd better get yourself a raptor seat or add some foam to your stock unit, cause that bad boy is hard as a brick.

Scott

WOracing
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Definately the 450r.....

BYRD-MAN
04-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Why defently the 450r?

Scottie Mac
04-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Because he has one........ :huh

Scott

PS
Ride them both, make up your own mind, that is the only way you will be happy in the end

Bretmd94
04-19-2004, 07:44 PM
stock vs stock, the 450r for sure. Bigger tank, taller gears, and the thing is all tall and looks like a desert racer stock.

BUT....

who races stock bikes in desert racing? You will probably and up getting a bigger tank anyways, change the gearing, and the suspension. So the decision is wide open for you.

The 450r frame and swing arm is pretty tested to hold up though and all the other stock parts on the baja 100 bike.

The 450r for now seems a bit more reliable too. It would be my choice, but thats me.

rob-u/21
04-19-2004, 08:45 PM
In my mind honda has always been more reliable. Another thing is were you plan on racing. Im not sure about BITD but I do know that in SCORE if you race a honda you will be able to use Honda Pits which is a big help out there. One last thing is the way the two motors handle. I have not ridden a honda yet and have only used a yfz once but from what I have heard the yfz's power hits harder than the honda which might wear you out a little more in the long run. Honda's power is delivered a little smoother which will be easier on you.

jbomb
04-20-2004, 05:59 PM
450 r in the dunes for sure. I ride a Cannondale but had a chance to ride both the Honda and Yami in the dunes last weekened. The Yami was the most miserable bike I have ever rode. It is small, rough, and first and second gear has no throttle response. I liked the Honda alot and is also priced awsome. Just my opinion.

tore up
04-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Frist of all If you are going to race desert and desert only you should get a DS650, The only reasons that the TRX450 came in first at the Baja 1000 is because they hand picked the 2 teams and they had there entire Engineering department at the race. 1-2 guys to work on each part of the honda if they had a problem with it. I know this first hand because my Cousin is Scott Callen, He was the lead man for the 2nd team but he crashed part way into his leg of the race and broke his collar bone. He then rode 20 miles to the first pit for the rider exchange. I race desert in the Sidewinders Series of Dis.38 the bikes that continuesly finish in the top 3-5 are the DS650's they are set up to handle the terrain of the desert. My Brother races his YFZ450 in the desert and does quite well with it. The last race we were in was April 17. My brother and I came in first in are class and thrid Quad team overall, he rides a YFZ450 and I ride a 400EX. So you can win with any bike, its just how confortable do you want to do it in. By the way the first place bike was a DS650 2nd 330R 3rd DS650. They may be a little bit slower and alot bigger but they are built for the desert.