PDA

View Full Version : Truck Exhaust Question

speedy400
04-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Do glasspacks take care of air pollution? Say you have a truck and replace the cat. converter with a glass pack, would that be legal?THANKS-darren

RMX500
04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's legal. In most places; could be wrong.

sly400ex
04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Absolutely not! You can replace your muffler with a glass pack, but you can only replace your cat. converter with another cat. !!!converter!!!:eek: :)

poor_bmxer
04-14-2004, 09:17 PM
why dont you just get flowmasters...they sound better anyways, depending on what you have.

MichaelS693
04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
glass packs = redneck and a NO NO... Flow Masters = Good stuff that sounds good.... me comin from the south i say flow masters... they sound better and glass packs are way to red neck theey are to high pitched and pop to much

TCracin440ex
04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
glass packs sound like shyt esp when you get up in the high rpms they start poping....flowmaster american thunder all the way!!

ridesa02400EX
04-14-2004, 10:34 PM
ya you can only replace a cat with another cat

Juggalo
04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
spin tech mufflers KILL flowmaster in the sound department. i've NEVER EVER heard a better sounding car than my friends 5.0 with spin techs on it and a big ol lumpy cam. but even without the cam the sound was heaven and a half. nothing ever even come close

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:11 AM
but u gotta take this into play too...most cars these days dont come factory with dual exhaust...and its illeagle...atleast here...only car that can have TRUE dual exhaust is the mustang...so they are naturally gonna sound better

andrew360
04-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Borla
You won't regret it. As far as eliminating the cat - go to a muffler shop or Autozone and get a "test tube." It's a pipe made to replace your cat for testing purposes (what kind I'm not sure) and it comes with very strict instructions that the cat must be put back on;)

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
ill take flowmaster over borla also....but if want louder...get you a set of headers, free flow cat, and flowmaster thunder series...

but along with the exhaust, headers, and freeflow, you should also consider a better intake...

andrew360
04-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
ill take flowmaster over borla also....but if want louder...get you a set of headers, free flow cat, and flowmaster thunder series...

but along with the exhaust, headers, and freeflow, you should also consider a better intake...

Most people would take Flowmaster over Borla - the Flowmasters are cheaper :p

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:40 AM
id like to see how u call 395.95 cheaper than borla

TCracin440ex
04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
i kno 1 thing my mother has glasspacks on her 2000 tahoe z71 and when you get up to about 2,3-4 grand that thing sounds like shyt....when at idol they sound good....but after that 2 grand them mofos sound like a maxwell can....like shyt

we went out of town and i was in the back seat...and to be honest with you...i got so sick of hearing that exhaust i just wish they wont even there cuz they got annoying after a while...esp going bout 70 down the freeway...or comming off an exit ramp...they damn near dround out the sound of the radio...gotta have the radio turned to the max to cover up the exhaust sound

RMX500
04-15-2004, 12:47 AM
personally I prefer Skunk2 exhaust systems. I have a header from DC and a full system from Skunk2 (2 1/2" cat back)

it sounds really sweet, and has a unique sound rather than the overly common abused low farting sound of borla/flowmaster etc..

in my opinion a flowmaster only sounds good on a motor over 300ci. On a Mustang it's kinda silly even.

UglyMotha™
04-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
id like to see how u call 395.95 cheaper than borla

yes, flowmaster thunder costs a fraction of a borla the price that you just popped of there is the price of a complete system, for a borla you pay that just for the muffler a complete borla system will run you a grand easy

so take your pick

flowmaster = 395
borla = 1000

i dunno bout you but i definantly see a difference :huh

southbeach14
04-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by speedy400
Do glasspacks take care of air pollution? Say you have a truck and replace the cat. converter with a glass pack, would that be legal?THANKS-darren

you are better off getting a high flow cat. converter, glass packs do nothing for polution you would not pass emissions

southbeach14
04-15-2004, 07:27 AM
get a gibson super truck exhaust i have one for my 03, dodge quad cab and it sounds great,

andrew360
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
yes, flowmaster thunder costs a fraction of a borla the price that you just popped of there is the price of a complete system, for a borla you pay that just for the muffler a complete borla system will run you a grand easy

so take your pick

flowmaster = 395
borla = 1000

i dunno bout you but i definantly see a difference :huh

Oh, those tuneable Borla baffles......:D

I'm getting goosebumps just thinkin' about the sound:eek2:

WKY400EX
04-15-2004, 11:33 AM
What kind of truck do you have? Certain trucks will sound different than others, even with the same exhaust setup (because of different engines). I've had glasspacks, straights, Flowmasters, and Dynomax Bullets on my 97 Chevy. It all depends on what you are wanting from an exhaust. Performance or Sound? I had Flowmaster Original 40's before I switched to Dynomax. The 40's sound okay, but just weren't loud enough. Right now, I've got dual 2.25" pipes into two Dynomax Bullet mufflers (if you can called them mufflers:) ). They sound great to me, plus, they flow like crazy. If you want loud, go with dual 2.25" straight pipes out the back.

jst
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
For a unique sound have the shop place the muffler closer to the motor or farther to the rear,the amount of backpressure after the muffler is shanged thus altering the sound.One of the most popular tricks used today on fullsize trucks espially,is to remove the muffler and then use a "Y" pipe to make fake duals.Afriend of mine has been doing this at their shop for over 5 yrs. and they sound very good.

jst
04-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Another thing to look for in a muffler is does it use internal baffling or some type of fiberglass packing to muffle sound?The mufflers like Flomaster and Borla use the internal baffling to dampen sound unlike a glasspack w/the straight thru design w/little fiberglass to muffle sound.What I'm gettin' at is that over time the glasspacks will become louder and that mufflers w/internal baffling will be more consistant in their sound thru the years.

WEEZIL
04-15-2004, 12:53 PM
My dad has flowmasters on his Chevy 1500.. Atleast I think they are. and they sound soooo good. Not loud unless you get on it. then she'll scream authourity

la400ex
04-15-2004, 04:13 PM
I have a single chamber flowmaster with a turndown on my 01 dakota with a 4.7 V8. Real good sound outside of the truck and pretty quiet in the truck. Any thing over 75 kinda gets annoying on the interstate but its not all that bad.

400exdad
04-15-2004, 04:37 PM
I've got dynomax on my 93 Chevy. Single inlet, no cat, dual outlet and twin tailpipes.... a nice quiet sound. ;) A quiet vehicle can get away with twice as much as a loud one. :rolleyes:

exatak199
04-15-2004, 05:11 PM
just gutt your cathlick converter and put on some flowmasters!;)

crazybuffalo
04-15-2004, 08:49 PM
im not going to argue about the poping the glasspacks make but i personally think they sound better if you have the engine for it. in some places where they dont require the cat you can just replace it with pipe if you want, youd have to check with the local people. i dont know about there but i know here ive never had one on longer than about 20 minutes and no ones ever said anything so i cant say for sure;)

RMX500
04-15-2004, 09:18 PM
I have an old Dodge Ram 150. 318ci.

Just a hauling truck.. but a blast to drive.

speedy400
04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Well My truck is a 1990 S-10 4.3 litre v6, yesterday my setup was stock then no muffler, and then straight tubing all the way to the back, it sounded great but wasnt quite loud enough. So today I took off the cat, opened it up, gutted 1/2 of it, and put a 1 1/2 inch hole right threw the other 1/2.... Sounds alright, sounds the same as before but a nice backfire/rumble on decel. and a bit louder. Reminds me of a diesel at most of the rpms though. Maybe I'll have to get a 40 series on ebay some time. The reason why I made the thread was since I wanted it louder yesterday I was going to removce the cat and put on a flowmaster. But then when I asked to use the garage for a night my parents asked me why, ect...... so they didnt want me to take off the cat. because my mom is a 1/2 treehugger. ect. Then someone told me the glasspack(flowmasters are better,my prefrence) replacing the cat. would be legal. Thanks for the replys, also, I was told by many people that opening up the exhaust and if wanted the intake would increase gas milage...True? Just another thing to talk about-darren

400exdad
04-16-2004, 11:35 AM
The only way to make it louder is to remove the pipes completely at the manifolds.... the only way to make it faster is to push it off a cliff. :D Just playing.... but if its not loud enough with straights, the flows, or any muffler, is not what you are looking for.

UglyMotha™
04-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by exatak199
just gutt your cathlick converter and put on some flowmasters!;)

is that some kind of religious convertor :huh

or did you mean a catalytic convertor

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 11:47 AM
yes adding intake, exhaust, and headers to your ride will increase your gas mileage

bulkdriverlp
04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
ive had a lot of experience with headers.wont have em anymore. once you get them on and tight after a while they loosen and you have to bang your knuckels trying to get them tight again. unless you pay the big dollars theyl last 2 years and then theyl be junk. even the coated ones, the salt tears them up something fierce. if you want it real loud fill a glasspack up with a quart of tranny fluid and stuff shop towels in either end so it stays in there,put it on rev the motor and stuff until it quits smoking. if it were me i would leave the stock manifolds on and get a flowmaster stysem made for your viehicle.they sound like a off-shore boat (real cool).ed

TCracin440ex
04-16-2004, 10:36 PM
im gettin a set of hooker headers for me z71

ewalker302
04-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Yeah stay away from the headers, they don't help performance untill you get above 5,000rpm.

I would say to get flowmasters for your truck. You did the right thing to open up the cat, on a 90' truck it was most likley clogged anyway.

:bandit:

Jellyrolls
04-17-2004, 06:08 AM
get you a straight pipe running from your cat's into some echo chambers.....they sound soooooo goood

speedy400
04-18-2004, 07:58 AM
where would i get those?thanks-darren

TheX1992
04-18-2004, 08:30 AM
whats nice about wisconin is ya'll got the inspection! most of you at least. we dont! we run trucks w/o doors, w/o beds, **** w/o tires too sometimes and if it has a license plate they leave us alone. but anyway, we jus straight pipe the thing here. we leave the SHELL from the cat and the muffler on there but usually put a piece of pipe through it so its just like a straight pipe again. ALL the cop can do is look under there if its loud. if he sees a cat and a muffler he cant do anything. they have no decible or emmissions checker. :p :D :)

PHIL_B54
04-18-2004, 01:41 PM
inspections dont do crap, everyone knows someone that does them, and you WILL pass

i grew up in IA (without inspections), and i now live in MO (has inspections) and i can pretty much bet that there are 5x's more un-safe/loud vehicles in MO than IA

TCracin440ex
04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
man for all the money ur gonna spend making your vehicle loud to get noticed....go and buy a lift, wheels, and tires...3 inch body lift is 145.95, eagle alloy 15x10 wheels are 330.00, and 4 DECENT tires are about 5 or 6....

thats moreso what im worried about now...to hell with exhaust...im working on 3 inch body lift, 6 inch suspension lift, 37x12.5x15 goodyear wrangler mt/r tires, 15x10 wheels, gears, posi track rearend, frontend gears, tranny cooler, and after all that ill worrie about performance...headers, intake, flowmasters, computer upgrade...then after the performance im going for the addons...pushbar, vinal graphics, interrior, stereo, so on and so on....my truck wont be no panzy show truck it will be used for off roading, and quad hauling

user101
04-18-2004, 04:16 PM
i have flowmasters on my new truck(5.4 F-150) and they sound really good but i just love how loud the straight pipes are on my good ol' blazer (built 350)

Jellyrolls
04-18-2004, 05:22 PM
im tellin you man get the straight pipe running from the cats going into echos....they sound soooooooo gooooooooddddd....i swear you will love them.....

FASTeR
04-18-2004, 08:26 PM
only problem with flowmasters is the neck rusts away and they dont stand behind the lifetime warranty to replace them, borla and magnaflow's are stainless and perform better in most cases. I dont know where you buy your flow masters tcracin, but around here no matter which one you buy they will install new pipe from the cat back with muffler on even the longer trucks for around 250.00. the muffler itself is a cheap coated piece of steel and will rust out sooner than most aluminized pipe.

speedy400
04-18-2004, 08:34 PM
about lifting and stuff, so far I've spent, 25$ for the straight tubing, and then in the future I might get either an "echo chamber" or what ever jelly is talking about or a 40 series off ebay-39 bucks last time I checked. So since I dont even have a job yet(I am 16) I cant really get a lift and mud boggers, I know what you meen though, lifts are bad*****, not sure about a lift on a s-10, but usually they are. Also another problem, MN law says mbumper can rise no higher than 24 inches...weak...

-Jellyrolls-
where do I find those echo chambers your talking about?

Thanks for the info guys, keep her goin!-darren

muddy400EX
04-18-2004, 09:41 PM
if you want to hear some exhaust before you buy it go to www.exhaustsoundclips.com