PDA

View Full Version : horse power is where it counts

schizo1187
04-14-2004, 07:05 PM
i was looking through some different edtions of the quad bible (dirtwheels) and i looked up what they had to say for all the different horse power readings on different sport quads. all the readings arethe peak at the back wheels on stock machines. yamaha yzf 450 and honda 450r are about the same at 39hp.the yamaha banshee 350 comes in at 36 hp.the yamaha raptor has 34 hp.honda 400ex has a small 28 stock hp the polaris predator 500 has more hp then all of them listed here at 45hp. (thats why i bought a predator plus the apoxamate 2000-3000$ worth im race ready parts on it that no other sport quad stocks ie.tires,rims,wide cro-moly axle,wide a-arms,'pro' steering,fully rebuildable/revalveable fox 'podium' racing shocks and it looks sweet. i couldnt find readings for the kfx 700,bombardier ds 65
0 or the kfx/drz/ltz 400or any others that other peolpe might think of but if you can find then plz post them just make sure that they are stock readings and at the rear wheels.

TGW_400ex
04-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by schizo1187
i was looking through some different edtions of the quad bible (dirtwheels) and i looked up what they had to say for all the different horse power readings on different sport quads. all the readings arethe peak at the back wheels on stock machines. yamaha yzf 450 and honda 450r are about the same at 39hp.the yamaha banshee 350 comes in at 36 hp.the yamaha raptor has 34 hp.honda 400ex has a small 28 stock hp the polaris predator 500 has more hp then all of them listed here at 45hp. (thats why i bought a predator plus the apoxamate 2000-3000$ worth im race ready parts on it that no other sport quad stocks ie.tires,rims,wide cro-moly axle,wide a-arms,'pro' steering,fully rebuildable/revalveable fox 'podium' racing shocks and it looks sweet. i couldnt find readings for the kfx 700,bombardier ds 65
0 or the kfx/drz/ltz 400or any others that other peolpe might think of but if you can find then plz post them just make sure that they are stock readings and at the rear wheels.

wrong

WEEZIL
04-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the jungle

ReconRider25
04-14-2004, 07:23 PM
i cant believe you call dirtwheels the quad bible.:( i dont believe anything they put in that "magazine." theyre too busy getting paid off.;)

2001400ex
04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
If those numbers are accurate and the numbers I've heard about the Zilla are accurate. The Zilla is a HELL of a lot faster than I thought...damn...I want one...:devil:

(I heard around 50HP on the Zilla)

04-14-2004, 07:33 PM
i only have dirt wheels for the picture & read their articles when I want to laugh....they get paid off & their reviews are VERY biased

chucked
04-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
i cant believe you call dirtwheels the quad bible.:( i dont believe anything they put in that "magazine." theyre too busy getting paid off.;)
you are right, I still dont believe that you can get over 6 hp just by adding a pipe on a sport quad on a 400ex. and why woudl you buy a quad based specifically on horsepower

RMX500
04-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I'll just say, I know the Predator and 400EX numbers up there are damn near.

I've dyno'd at 26 for the EX (2003) and 45 for the Predator (2004)

Also a pipe can add 6hp to a 400EX no problem. Any good Yoshi/Pro-Circuit/DMC pipe will do the trick.

Same applies for most quads. The best pipes out there for top end can add up to 5-6 throughout the band and up to 10-11 at the very peak. For example, LTE's Predator system averages +6 through the band and 11 at the top end. Dyno proven.

The DMC Dual for the 400EX adds a solid 5 throughout and 6 on top. It's +8 on the Raptor.

A lot of people don't believe **** because they don't know ****. Being someone who's owned multiple sport quads and tested multiple mods I would know. Most of the nay-sayers on any ATV forum or community have no real experience or knowledge beyond what they read from other sources.

Experience = Knowledge

Reading = Theory and Speculation.

TCracin440ex
04-14-2004, 08:31 PM
the pregnator is not 45 hp im sorry to squash your mellon....boon dockers dynoed the pred at 30.8 hp STOCK.....like i said earlier..dirt wheels are 100% paid off...when the z400 came out they bashed the 400ex so bad it wont even funny....and the truth is the 400ex handles better, it aint tipsy like a raptor, its more user friendly, they think because something is liquid cooled and has a reverse knob its the best in the world...i only look at d/w for the pics...their photographer is good...but their editors suck anus

RMX500
04-14-2004, 08:47 PM
and you sir know nothing. why? you have no experience and are just speculating from someone no more trustworthy than dirtwheels.

oooh wow.. poondockers makes NOS and NOS is cool cuz I watched 2 fast 2 furious so they MUST be right!!!

NO

ReconRider25
04-14-2004, 08:48 PM
^^yep. my 400ex is stock motor wise and still seems faster and better then the kfx's/z's around here.:bandit:

diesel-mech
04-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Re: horse power is where it counts

Come on guys:rolleyes: Horse power is an after effect of torque and RPM's.(torque x rpm x 5252) Horse power does nothing for you unless your running wide open under a slight load. How many times are you under that senario????? Not real often! More often than not you are excellerating and shifting gears. That is when you put your engine under a heavy load. Thats TORQUE!!!!! When your engine has the ability to excellerate from a low RPM to a high RPM thats called torque rise. As the torque falls off in the higher RPM's you build "horse power" but when that starts to happen you are already shifting gears to get back into the torque rise. About the only time that horse power is going to effect your riding is a wide open jump or straightaway in high gear. Your engine isn't building a lot of power (torque) but your pushing it to its limits. Torque has fallen off and horse power is maintaining your speed. Notice in this case you no longer feel that monster excelleration that you did while you where triing to reach that speed. Thats because torque is now gone (mostly). The engine is no longer under a heavy load. Think about when your riding and you don't shift gears. The engine is at top RPM but it won't quite go any faster. Thats where your Max horse power is.
I ran a dyno for 6 months in the Marines, Did it in college, and 1 year where I work, I'm also PAR certified. I know what I'm talking about!!!!
Check the torque specs on these quads (higher FT.LBS. at low rpm is better) THATS THE MEANER QUAD!!!!!!!:macho

Good quote from from John Force "horse power sells cars... torque wins races"!!!

TCracin440ex
04-14-2004, 08:51 PM
rmx bro...the day you can fax me or mail me a dyno sheet of a stock predator with 45 hp that you didnt get a marker and draw yourself is the day ill believe it....untill then...dont brag about that pos...more frame problems than what its worth....polaris industries done got a lil cocky imo...every person i kno with a polaris has had nothin but trouble with it...the polarass pregnator is not all that polaris cracks it up to be..

RMX500
04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
girl, don't you know I got you covered.. oh girl, don't you see what I've discovered! The Predator is fast, 43 horse to the ***, leaving your speculating hiney in lassssssst

http://members.lycos.co.uk/ragedirectory/2003StockPredator.jpg

TCracin440ex
04-14-2004, 09:03 PM
lemme tell you a lil something....all dynos are not the same guy...that shyt looks like something was hand drew...a pred 500 would have more hp over on the west coast due to the elevation, than what it would over here....and you got that from off-road.com you didnt actually see the dyno being done itself....so get inline and wait for your stupid smack

RMX500
04-14-2004, 09:07 PM
how about you get in the fanboy line. your EX even now doesn't have the go of a stock Pred. You've never even owned a Pred. You've probably never even ridden one. Maybe you sat on one in a store and decided it didn't appear to have enough horsepower. Seriously you have no clue. All you know is that boondockers made a bogus dyno. You have no knowledge and no experience.

sly400ex
04-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
Come on guys:rolleyes: Horse power is an after effect of torque and RPM's.(torque x rpm x 5252) Horse power does nothing for you unless your running wide open under a slight load. How many times are you under that senario????? Not real often! More often than not you are excellerating and shifting gears. That is when you put your engine under a heavy load. Thats TORQUE!!!!! When your engine has the ability to excellerate from a low RPM to a high RPM thats called torque rise. As the torque falls off in the higher RPM's you build "horse power" but when that starts to happen you are already shifting gears to get back into the torque rise. About the only time that horse power is going to effect your riding is a wide open jump or straightaway in high gear. Your engine isn't building a lot of power (torque) but your pushing it to its limits. Torque has fallen off and horse power is maintaining your speed. Notice in this case you no longer feel that monster excelleration that you did while you where triing to reach that speed. Thats because torque is now gone (mostly). The engine is no longer under a heavy load. Think about when your riding and you don't shift gears. The engine is at top RPM but it won't quite go any faster. Thats where your Max horse power is.
I ran a dyno for 6 months in the Marines, Did it in college, and 1 year where I work, I'm also PAR certified. I know what I'm talking about!!!!
Check the torque specs on these quads (higher FT.LBS. at low rpm is better) THATS THE MEANER QUAD!!!!!!!:macho

Good quote from from John Force "horse power sells cars... torque wins races"!!!

100% true.....:)

TCracin440ex
04-14-2004, 09:09 PM
lmao....if the pred is such a bad ***....go to the gnc nats buddy and tell me h ow many of them you see....4-5 tops....i was at birch creek and i counted 2 polarass pregnators...

but you kno what i aint even gonna argue with you cuz arguing over the internet is like running the special olympics..no matter who wins...your still retarded

RMX500
04-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
lmao....if the pred is such a bad ***....go to the gnc nats buddy and tell me h ow many of them you see....4-5 tops....i was at birch creek and i counted 2 polarass pregnators...

but you kno what i aint even gonna argue with you cuz arguing over the internet is like running the special olympics..no matter who wins...your still retarded

okay I'll drive a thousand miles and race just to prove to some amateur e-*** that Predator's kick ***. I'll let a few ATV of the year awards speak for the Predator, and EVERY other dyno and every other power report besides the bogus crap you seem to have seen at poondockers. For all anyone knows, those hillbilly's ran NOS on the Pred.. blasted the valves out.. then ran it stock and it was about 13 horsepower short due to some damage. Otherwise.. just plain BS. Nobody else reports crappy *** numbers like that. Some people even report 47hp to the wheels but I know that's not true either. Every reliable dyno for the Predator has been between 42 and 45.

And by the way... quoting age old internet pictures is like running in the special olympics. You have to be effin' retarded to do it.

And you keep telling me "prove it prove it".

Dude, why don't YOU prove it. Or shut up. Seriously.

diesel-mech
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
lemme tell you a lil something....all dynos are not the same guy...that shyt looks like something was hand drew...a pred 500 would have more hp over on the west coast due to the elevation, than what it would over here....and you got that from off-road.com you didnt actually see the dyno being done itself....so get inline and wait for your stupid smack

Dyno's are calibrated at sea level. atmospheric pressure, barameteric(sp?) pressure, fuel temp,ambiant air temp., engine temp. are all calculated into the testing. The alltitude doesn't really matter because it is compensated for in the testing. The horse power is rated at sea level. Besides higher alltitude would make less power. The bigger question is "prove that it was a stock preditor" or was it a chassis dyno or engine dyno? engine dyno shows higher HP because you lose % of HP through the tranny and drive train, although torque is increased.
If you want to show something impressive show the dyno sheet with the torque curve on it!!!!! because that HP chart means JACK!!!!

RMX500
04-14-2004, 09:23 PM
haven't been able to find torque sheets for stock atv's anywhere. :(

outacontrol31
04-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
Dyno's are calibrated at sea level. atmospheric pressure, barameteric(sp?) pressure, fuel temp,ambiant air temp., engine temp. are all calculated into the testing. The alltitude doesn't really matter because it is compensated for in the testing. The horse power is rated at sea level. Besides higher alltitude would make less power. The bigger question is "prove that it was a stock preditor" or was it a chassis dyno or engine dyno? engine dyno shows higher HP because you lose % of HP through the tranny and drive train, although torque is increased.
If you want to show something impressive show the dyno sheet with the torque curve on it!!!!! because that HP chart means JACK!!!!
oooooohhhhh you want some ice for that burn:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

QuadJunkies
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex

but you kno what i aint even gonna argue with you cuz arguing over the internet is like running the special olympics..no matter who wins...your still retarded Just becuase they arent the choice where you live,dont mean they arent a great quad...Around here we have a few and our Predator is kickin some Butt!!:blah: I get soooooo tired of hearing how its not a "MXracer" and its not a" Duning machine"..Its not the BEST for either,its of a riders Chioce of machine,in other words....PREFERANCE...but it hold its own with a good rider.....;) Not everyone likes the fit and feel of a YFZ or the new Honda(although, I cannot imagine why???:huh :p ) as for some DYNO;s......As soon as I can find out where I can get them done locally, Im going to have ours done,its not stock but Im DYIN to find out what numbers its going to show!!:blah: :macho ...The Predator is heavy..we all know that, but its still a great quad and I see a few riders kickin some butt and one rider on a Predator is in the top 10......:cool:

Pappy
04-15-2004, 09:27 AM
jesus make it stop:(

oh...i dont need JC for this job:grr:

QuadJunkies
04-15-2004, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappy
[B]jesus make it stop:(

I just dont get WHY people cant just appreciate all the varieties of quads we now have in our sport..I think maybe were all getting just a Tad too spoiled.....:rolleyes:

Pappy
04-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pappy
[B]jesus make it stop:(

I just dont get WHY people cant just appreciate all the varieties of quads we now have in our sport..I think maybe were all getting just a Tad too spoiled.....:rolleyes:

the day a dyno chart is on the poduim with a hot trophy girl rubbing all over it is the day I start riding the dyno chart...till then ill ride a quad