PDA

View Full Version : need help fast

exrider2002
04-14-2004, 05:57 PM
today i recieved my hmf slipon kn airfilter and dyno jet kit. right know i'm running a 165 main jet and i havn't did any more adjustments then that to the carb. i clean the spark plug right of and then took it for a run after the run i took the plug out and there wasn't much build up and it a very slight white look and u could still see the bare tip except the faint white look

i know it s running lean but what adjustments should i make to the carb adjust the needle or the air fuel screw

cals400ex
04-14-2004, 06:46 PM
it hard to tell from that description. here is what i would try:

1. a smaller mainjet
2. lower the clip position on the needle if it is cold out
3. a 42 pilot jet
4. around 2.25 turns out on the fuel skrew.

nakomis0
04-14-2004, 10:28 PM
well if ya think your lean I wouldn't drop a main jet.

Cal ya know different types of jets have different numbers right? I'm not familuar with which is which, and you maybe right on. But we dont know his sea level, the air temp, exhaust flow, ect.

And I wouldn't change more than 1 carb adjustment at a time.

And.. If you take your bike for a quick run it probably won't get much color. You have to nearly ride if for like 20 minutes. Then who knows if you will even get a good color reading depending on what gas your using.

Color is an indicator, but IMO a better indicator is a seat of the pants feel. Drive it, pay attention to where the power is and where it isn't. When its right you can definately feel it.

Something like.. 'Be one with the bike young skywalker'.:huh ..err.. nevermind.

hondarider2006
04-15-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Color is an indicator, but IMO a better indicator is a seat of the pants feel. Drive it, pay attention to where the power is and where it isn't. When its right you can definately feel it.

I agree. You should be able to tell if your jetting is off or not by the way the bike runs, and if it stumbles at a certain RPM. Also watch the side of your leg by the header....pants melt you know you are lean;) I was running my wb and k&n with stock jetting and melted a good 4 pairs of pants.....Glad I figured out that I had to re-jet:o

cals400ex
04-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
well if ya think your lean I wouldn't drop a main jet.

Cal ya know different types of jets have different numbers right? I'm not familuar with which is which, and you maybe right on. But we dont know his sea level, the air temp, exhaust flow, ect.

And I wouldn't change more than 1 carb adjustment at a time.

And.. If you take your bike for a quick run it probably won't get much color. You have to nearly ride if for like 20 minutes. Then who knows if you will even get a good color reading depending on what gas your using.

Something like.. 'Be one with the bike young skywalker'.:huh ..err.. nevermind.

yes i realize that. but if that is all he is going to tell us, we can't get him too close. i would say a 165 is too big in keihin jets at sea level in the coldest of winter. if a 165 keihin is too big, we know a DJ is going to be too big since those run bigger than keihins. some people run it richer than i prefer though. good luck

exrider2002
04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
i did some more adjust meants and got it better i'm running a 165 dynojet main with the needle on the 4 postion, about 3 turns out on the mixture screw. That gave me a medium tan, grey color on the spark plug above 1/4 to wide open. But the plug is black at idle to a little bit above 1/4. so i think i'm going to go get a couple of pilot jets a 40, 42 and put the needle on the 3rd position. the temperature range right know is around 45 to 60 and might even hit 70 this weekend. elevation is 500 feet above sea level

hmf slip on
K&n airfilter with preecharger
dynojet jets and needle