PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the rear shock

Greg Z
04-14-2004, 05:34 PM
How would I adjust the rear shock to make the quad sit straight.

I have TCS ZPS shocks in the front and im getting my a-arms really soon and when i put them on im afraid my rear end will be sitting to high for me to jump with. What do i need to do to adjust it and what tool do I need? Also do you know what the tool is that I need to adjust the ZPS for the front?

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
you will need to raise your preload. loosen the top locking ring, then spin the shock spring so that the adjuster moves towards the top of the shock. if you cant move it by hand you can use a punch and tap it around.

its possible you will have to set your front preload down to get the ride hieght where you want it.

this is a 450R shock but the adjustment is the same on the 400ex

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:50 PM
as far as a tool...i believe they make something, i know works sends along a spanner wrench but i never use it. i grab the spring and force it down and take my other hand and move the retaining clip to where i want it. becareful because its possible to get a hand pinched.

Greg Z
04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
as far as a tool...i believe they make something, i know works sends along a spanner wrench but i never use it. i grab the spring and force it down and take my other hand and move the retaining clip to where i want it. becareful because its possible to get a hand pinched. Do you know how much spanner tools cost? and to make it sit lower you would just lower preload and then tighten the lock ring? Im J/W because i need to do this for the rear shock and my front shocks have the same looking things on the top which I think control my ZPS... I dont know if im wrong though

Pappy
04-14-2004, 06:36 PM
you can use a straight punch to help spin the rings...its not hard.

and its been awhile since i saw tcs so if they use the same adjustment set up you will probably want to adjust the ring down (towards the bottom of the shock)

you wont know for sure until you get the fronts on ofcourse.

id say tcs should sell the tool. IMO they should include it with the shocks

Greg Z
04-14-2004, 07:10 PM
you can use a straight punch to help spin the rings...its not hard.

and its been awhile since i saw tcs so if they use the same adjustment set up you will probably want to adjust the ring down (towards the bottom of the shock)

you wont know for sure until you get the fronts on ofcourse.

id say tcs should sell the tool. IMO they should include it with the shocks they dont include it with there shocks :(

ill give them a call tommorow and ask what i need to adjust and then maybe he will be nice enough to send me the tool

thnx for info :)

Florida400EX
04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
don't even bother with the tool it's sooo easy!!!! Do what pappy said, or at least give it a try before getting the tool.

sniffthis400
04-15-2004, 09:13 PM
your not gonna need a tool for it....i used a freakin pipe wrench and it worked fine,it was kinda weird but worked fine and the punch thing for me didnt want to work...

Greg Z
04-16-2004, 12:46 PM
for the rear shock to i have to compress the spring or take it off to adjust the preload?

Pappy
04-16-2004, 12:47 PM
once you loosen the top ring you can use the spring itself. turn the spring with your hand to adjust it.

ewalker302
04-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Heres my problem, I cant' get the lockring or top ring loose on my stock rear shock, It just wont move. I've tried a hammer & big screwdriver, but it just digs into the metal like its going to cut off one of the ears on the ring.

I need to let off on my preload, but I cant get the rear adjustment to move at all. I've tried penetrating oil & that dosen't help.

I've seen those cheap spanner wrenches, just a flat stamped wrench with big opening and like a hook on the end.
Anybody used one of those with the rear adjustment?

Any suggestions???

:bandit:

Greg Z
04-16-2004, 11:05 PM
once you loosen the top ring you can use the spring itself. turn the spring with your hand to adjust it. to losen it up should i spray WD40 on it?

Hammer trx450r
04-17-2004, 05:16 AM
either you are going the wronge way or you are not hitting the locknut, maybe your screwdriver is hitting the spring nut too?

Woodsrider
04-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302
Heres my problem, I cant' get the lockring or top ring loose on my stock rear shock, It just wont move. I've tried a hammer & big screwdriver, but it just digs into the metal like its going to cut off one of the ears on the ring.

I need to let off on my preload, but I cant get the rear adjustment to move at all. I've tried penetrating oil & that dosen't help.

I've seen those cheap spanner wrenches, just a flat stamped wrench with big opening and like a hook on the end.
Anybody used one of those with the rear adjustment?

Any suggestions???

I had this problem the first time I adjusted mine. I took it out and put iton the bench where I could get at it better. I used a brass drift, it wont damage the ring like the screwdriver does.

ewalker302
04-17-2004, 10:14 PM
I know Im hitting it in the right place..

I know I could adjust it if I take it off, but I didnt want to have to do all that.