PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no grease zerks on a 400EX?

2000400EX
04-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Why doesn't Honda put grease zerks on the 400EX's? It seems like alot of the other quad manufacturer's put them on their machines, you'd think Honda would do the same? Or do they just want you to keep buying new parts when the old ones sieze up?:grr:

miken
04-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Answered your own question.
Mike -

quadrider400
04-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by miken
Answered your own question.
Mike -

Does the term drill and tap come to mind:huh

miken
04-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Grease zerks should be factory provided in my opinion. Honda has a history of making people buy "assemblies" rather than individual broken parts for way more cash. Understandable, I guess?
Mike -

2000400EX
04-28-2004, 10:03 AM
Grease zerks should be factory provided in my opinion.

That's what I think too.

04-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I think honda just likes making squeaky bikes. My friend has a honda 300ex and it squeaks like a *****!:devil:

Manny55
04-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda Seals there stuff. But grease zergs are a way better idea.

hondarider2006
05-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Grease zerks should be factory provided in my opinion.

ILGNCC400EX
05-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by quadrider400
Does the term drill and tap come to mind:huh yep thats what i do the ones i cant tap i just take apart and graese them often.its alot easier than trying to beat out frozen bearings

JRDrider22
05-05-2004, 03:48 PM
GOOD QUESTION.....only honda has the answer i guess

86atc250r
05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Why doesn't Honda provide Zerks?

Because Honda control arms use different & better pivots than the other manufacturers.

Where Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha use plastic or metal bushings - Honda uses sealed spherical bearings (heims).

This design requires far less frequent freshening of the grease than do plastic or metal bushings.

Besides - if Honda provided zerks, people would be blowing the seals out by overfilling the cavity with grease.

There's your answer.

foleyit
05-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Because Honda control arms use different & better pivots than the other manufacturers.

Where Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha use plastic or metal bushings - Honda uses sealed spherical bearings (heims).

This design requires far less frequent freshening of the grease than do plastic or metal bushings.

Besides - if Honda provided zerks, people would be blowing the seals out by overfilling the cavity with grease.

There's your answer.

I agree

rooster300ex
05-18-2004, 05:53 PM

There's your answer.

i aslo agree

stupid driver
05-20-2004, 09:33 PM

There's your answer.

Ah hell, i'll agree to that as well:D

UglyMotha™
05-22-2004, 09:32 AM

There's your answer.

ditto http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

haywire4130
05-22-2004, 11:38 PM
;) amen to that! grease just attracts dirt and wears out your parts. i never understood why people tap a grease fitting into the rear bearing carrier and pump it fulla grease... the sealed bearings inside don't know the difference... more rolling resistance if you ask me, plus a mess-

parkers30
06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by haywire4130
;) amen to that! grease just attracts dirt and wears out your parts. i never understood why people tap a grease fitting into the rear bearing carrier and pump it fulla grease... the sealed bearings inside don't know the difference... more rolling resistance if you ask me, plus a mess-

I just pulled my LSR rear carrier to put some more grease in it, shot some grease through the zerk they provide in the center of the carrier with the axle out after pumping what seemed like alot of grease in there I stopped when i saw grease starting to come thought the supposedly sealed bearing, they are only truelyy sealed for a short period of time, then they wear in, and loose the seal, SO the zerk does do some good ;)

86atc250r
06-06-2004, 01:24 AM
For the zerk to do any good in an aftermarket bearing carrier, the bearing seals are removed (thus eliminating their status as "sealed" bearings).

If they are not removed, the inner seal will be pushed into the bearing body by the grease pressure and will destroy the ball bearings.

Tip: next time you have that carrier out, measure it and drill an access hole in your swingarm so that you can grease it more frequently without disassembling the rear end.