PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

krazken
04-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Has anyone ever thought of inserting a fuel filter in between the fuel tank and the intake into the carb on a 400ex?

Everyone always talks about cleaning your air filter so that you don't get dirt and crud through the air filter into the carb...but what about all the crud that is in the gasoline? It seems that you wouldn't want that stuff to spray into the engine either.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard... get 2 pieces of fuel hose, the fuel filter, and some hose clamps...maybe a couple zip ties to hold it in place??

miken
04-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Ive used the type you can buy for a lawnmower on a dirtbike before. Both ends are barbed. Just cut hose and stick barbed ends in and your done. Works great.
Mike -

Jb00
04-14-2004, 01:38 PM
isnt there a filter in the petcock?

04-14-2004, 01:38 PM
There's really no reason for one since your tank has a filter inside of it at the gas petcock.

Spikers400
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
do u have to clean that petcock filter out. I thought of doing it once but didnt wana rip the plastics apart.

SnowFlake
04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
I had one on my blaster. But i dont know if the 400ex has one built in somewhere.

-snowflake

krazken
04-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Well, I went ahead and put an inline fuel filter on.. Just a little $2 from autozone. I think it is made for a lawnmower. I purchased that as well as 4 hose clamps and 1 foot of 1/4 fuel hose. After trying to replace the stock tubing which is already molded into the S shape to go from the tank to the carb, the easiest method that I was able to come up with was to take like 2 inches of the new tube...attach it to the gas tank..then attach the other end to the fuel filter, and then attach the stock tube to the other end of the fuel filter and the end of the stock tube to the carb. I was a little worried about the filter not being able to handle pushing the gas through when in the higher speeds...but after testing it out, it seems to work like a champ. The fuel filter I purchased is a clear plastic one so that I can visually inspect it easily for replacement. I can post pics of what it looks like installed if anyone wants. just let me know.

ReconRider25
04-16-2004, 05:32 PM
theres already a filter at the petcock and also, alls you had to do was cut the stock hose and stick it in. ;)