PDA

View Full Version : First car, Good Choice or Not?

Bobbs07
04-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey i Have been thinking about my first car and i found this to be a decent car.. http://www.bemisauto.com/85433tt.html I know it is only a 6 cylinder in a camaro but does anyone know how good these 3.4 liters go? And does anyone know the gas mileage? And i would also like to know if when i get it paid off and stuff if i could transfer an Ls1 motor into it? The reason for the 6 cylinder is because i figure it might be better on insurance as for me a new driver.. Just like to know any info on it.. If the link doesnt work it is a 1995 camaro 3.4 auto, w/ t-tops.. I didnt get ahold of them today so i dont know how much miles...

Cole Trane
04-13-2004, 08:20 PM
That's a nice car for a first car!! It's not gonna be fast no matter what anyone tells ya(unless you spend A LOT of money.) If that's what you want, get it and buy a trans am or z-28 when you can afford it. SS or WS6 would be the way to go when you can though...................

I got a 94 Trans Am with the LT-1, it hauls bungholes!!!!! Of cousre, I've got some chit done to it.

TheFontMaster
04-13-2004, 09:29 PM
You could put the ls motor in there when yer ready.people do that all the time with cars. Its not a hard thing to do.

turnandburn
04-13-2004, 10:21 PM
i bleed bowties but stay away from the 3.4L they have alot more problems then the 3800 camaros in those years and insurance is just alittle cheeper,its is still a sports car. Yes you can install the ls1 but you will need alot of stuff to transfer with it pcm, wiring harness, mounts,radiator and so on, so just save and buy a v8 you wont be sorry you did!

coryatver
04-13-2004, 10:56 PM
I have a Z34 it has a 3.4 but it is a DOHC version and has 50 more hp. I don't think the v6 camaro will be that quick. You can get 28 mpg out of it though. And your insurace will defenitly be cheaper

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?modelid=518&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=0

y2k400ex
04-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I have owned a 94 trans am and and a 97 WS6 trans am. Now i Have a 99 tahoe, its kinda hard to pull a trailer with a Trans am and speeding tickets are expensive. Also if you are looking at a Trans am or z28 remember those low profile Z rated tires only last about 20-30,000 miles at $200 each.....:eek:

when i was looking the differnce on the insurance was only $15 a month when i was 18. Price it out :devil:

Bobbs07
04-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the info it actually helped quite alot. And i need to be able to tow my dirtbike and snowmobile so i think i may just try to find one for a decent price with a V8. And i am a major Lead foot right now and having a car that is slow wouldnt be the greatest, but i think thats why my mom likes it:p

WEEZIL
04-14-2004, 03:02 PM
2 kids have that exact car in my school. They haul arse pretty good. Just be smart while driving it. or you will end up like greg and getting pulled over for doing a buck twenty

Bobbs07
04-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by WEEZIL
2 kids have that exact car in my school. They haul arse pretty good. Just be smart while driving it. or you will end up like greg and getting pulled over for doing a buck twenty

Those cars with the 6 cylinder? I know a kid in my school that has one and he didnt seem to know much but he said he could break the tires loose and kick it sideways which is pretty cool. I like good gas mileage so maybe i will get it.. OH AND IT has to be able to beat my sisters avenger nicely, that would be embarrassing to be showed up by my sister:rolleyes:

crday98
04-18-2004, 06:15 AM
i have everything you need to do the LS1 conversion minus the wiring harness if anyone is interested. motor(with all belt driven acc.,coil packs,manifolds,cats,etc,),tranny,rear,radiator,mo unts,pcm

brif
04-18-2004, 10:10 AM
The best advice I can give you is if you're under 18, shop for the insurance first. You may be horrified to find out you may pay more for a month in insurance than you will for the car payment itself. I know several people that do.

thomez
04-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Be careful, any Camaro will be awful on insurance. I had to drive POS cars just because I couldn't afford the insurance on them until I was 20 and I still couldn't afford insurance on a 'sports car' like they will classify that one.

Get a v-8 truck from the early 90's that looks good. It will haul the wheeler and also haul some *** when you want it to. Insurance will be a lot cheaper too :macho

Atreyu
04-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Couldn't he say it is a Show Car to lower the insurance?

...oooh 3000 posts.. :cool:

thomez
04-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Not if he plans to drive it every day. I tried that whole deal too... no luck.