PDA

View Full Version : How may people have had rod failures? Read this post!

shockwave67
03-14-2002, 10:24 AM
I talked to JE piston company and they told me EVERYONE was running the stock rod with 440 kits and the 13/1 piston and that they had not been hearing of rod failures. Also I was told that the stock Honda rod is stronger than the hot rod. How many people out here have had rod failure? and what were you running? I personnaly know of me and two others that have had catastrophic engine failure. I am going back down to less bore 416 maybe and 12/1. I am also going back to the stock box with high compression piston to keep rpms off the situation. Maybe help motor last longer. I have done top ends on stock 400exs and the rods are all blue near the top from heat. That is were mine and my friends snapped into. Too bad Honda didnt water cool em.

PsychoDave
03-14-2002, 01:54 PM
When i first came on this forum, i wrote that i heard that the stock rods were weak and that i was told to change to a stronger rod if i was gonna go to a 440. people told me that i was incorrect. i guess i was right after all! sorry to hear about your dilemma.

400exRacerX
03-14-2002, 02:23 PM
My quad is stripped right now and the top of my rod is a reddish/orange.:huh

03-14-2002, 02:58 PM
get a carrilo rod