PDA

View Full Version : 13 tooth evaluation

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I installed my 13 tooth front sprocket today and went out and hit the trails. It deffinatley makes the R more woods friendly but I feel it takes away that sudden burst of acceleration I liked:( Maybe this can be fixed with a rear sprocket change?

With the new sprocket you can deffinatley lug better thru technical sections and it seems to pull hills ok, but now im thinking she needs more power. I am not impressed:mad:

Bill Fuller
04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
I am totaly confused Pappy:confused: If you installed the 13 tooth sprocket it should have made it more snappy off the bottom.I don't own a 450R yet but I do remember what a smaller front sprocket did to the 'ol 400.Please explain this to me.I will have mine hopefully by the end of the month and am trying to gather all the tech info I can.Rowlrag said it worked great ...........now I'm confused.To say that you are unimpressed hurts man:(

Bill Fuller
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh did I get confused when you say hit the trails were you refering to the tree you smacked:D :devil:

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:41 PM
well it confuses me also! it makes it more tame i geuss, and ofcourse the shifts are alot closer. but truthfully i liked the longer pull of the stock gearing i think.

help:(

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:44 PM
bill, when i installed a 14 tooth on my 400 i could run second gear where i used to run 1st. it doesnt seem that way with my R. it feels like it shortened her up but there isnt that bar ripping grunt i was expecting.

with stock gearing she just seemed better. ...hell if i know anymore...lol

Cole Trane
04-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a cheap fix to me..............put the old one back on. Maybe try 1 or 2 up in the back.

sorry

250rpilot
04-13-2004, 05:46 PM
it is because this particular 4 stroke engine likes to be lugged down, that is where they seem to make their power. you are essentially undergearing the quad from the sounds of it, and we all know that gearing defines alot of your usable power. with the wrong gears it will feel gutless, ya gotta find the sweet spot.

pappy, i wonder what would happen if you put the 14 tooth front back on, and went up 1 tooth on the rear, or keep the 13, and go down 2 teeth on the rear....

with all these trx gearing posts, i am curious, as i will be looking to buy one next summer.:confused:

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:51 PM
the R wants to be reved ....its not like a 400 at all in regards to power. im just thinking that maybe my trails are too tight to get her up where she needs to be. I can say that this sprocket will help most woods riders, especially when the woods gets tight or a steep hill is taken from a dead stop.

when i raced the other day i noticed i was always slipping the clutch to keep the engine in the power range i needed it to be. i just did my trails and didnt slip it once so maybe its just the different feeling.

Gibson Racing 6
04-13-2004, 05:53 PM
On my old 300ex I went 2 up in the back and i could pull her off the ground and have that instant punch when I hit the throttle.

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:54 PM
thats what im thinkin ...a rear change may benefit the R more.

someone go try it!!lol:D

250rpilot
04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
hmmmm....i dunno then:(

hehe, you can be the guinea pig and buy all the sprockets:devil:

Pappy
04-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 250rpilot

hehe, you can be the guinea pig and buy all the sprockets:devil:

:mad: :blah:

rowlrag said something about 13/37 but i believe he had a hard on for that combo with his 250R:confused: who knows...more to come!:D

Guy400
04-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
:mad: :blah:

rowlrag said something about 13/37 but i believe he had a hard on for that combo with his 250R:confused: who knows...more to come!:D Hard on's and sprockets don't mix...lmfao:D

Pappy
04-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Hard on's and sprockets don't mix...lmfao:D

i think john found that out the hard way:eek:

04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
I didn't like the 13 tooth sprocket either. I put the 14 back on and a 39 on the rear. I like that better. You might want to try that.

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 07:19 PM
I like the 13 which is also my shoe size kickin yer butt Poppy:macho :D

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 07:22 PM
well it confuses me also! it makes it more tame i geuss, and ofcourse the shifts are alot closer. but truthfully i liked the longer pull of the stock gearing i think.

help:(
You put a pipe on it yet?
Mine and Fred's are quite a bit different, same gearing, mine pulls harder is what Jeremy said, Fred's pipe is stock.

holeshot19
04-13-2004, 07:46 PM
i have a fat boy 4 seems to work out fine

stryker
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
As long as were getting opinions. Try a 14 / 40!!. I would like to see someone try this setup before I get my R. I think this will be setup for my taste. Pappy, nice R by the way!!:D

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by stryker
As long as were getting opinions. Try a 14 / 40!!. I would like to see someone try this setup before I get my R. I think this will be setup for my taste. Pappy, nice R by the way!!:D
Probly feel like 13-38, and aftermarket skid clearence comes into play :(

dn1911
04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
i have 13/39 gearing and ride alot of tight trails or no trails at all. i like how the bike pulls down low now and i fell a lot more comfortable climing hills cause its a little slower now, but excelerates like no other.

i still have plenty of clerence with my aftermarket skid pan

lukester720
04-14-2004, 12:55 AM
I have the 14 39 setup also. I tried the 13t front at first but after riding it for like 10 minutes I put the stock back on and got the 39 and it feels perfect.

If you decide to go with a 40 you will probably have to remove the metal chain guide in the bottom of the stock skidplate to make it work. Hope this helps.

stryker
04-14-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
I have the 14 39 setup also. I tried the 13t front at first but after riding it for like 10 minutes I put the stock back on and got the 39 and it feels perfect.

If you decide to go with a 40 you will probably have to remove the metal chain guide in the bottom of the stock skidplate to make it work. Hope this helps.

Good to know!! It looks like I might have to go with a 39! I know that a 13 up front would have been too much. I mostly ride dunes, but occasionally get in the thick stuff. :D

Z-135
04-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Pappy,
Leave the gearing stock. Put a 2" hole in the back of the air box lid and a 155 main jet. This will help out a lot you will be able to lug the R a lot more. It only takes about 10 min. to do! Try it out!

MIA450R
04-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by lukester720

Lukester-
What didnt you like about the 13T in 10 minutes of riding?

Figuring 1 front tooth = around 2-3 rear teeth, going with the 39T rear is about 1/3 the total gearing change of a 13T front.

I find that with the 13 front, the get up and go off the line is much snappier/faster *but* you have to remember to shift sooner, or you will run out of gear / hit rev limiter and lose speed. Top speed loss is a mute point (to me), as the quad will still do 72-73mph. Also, putting around in 1st gear requires far less clutch slipping. Granted...I haven't tried lugging the stock 14T front in 1st gear with the HRC kit now installed...hmmm.

greghall
04-14-2004, 07:52 AM
thats what im thinkin ...a rear change may benefit the R more.

someone go try it!!lol:D Im a woods rider no MX & I install a 13T awile ago it made it feel just right to me ,just had to grab the clutch on real tight sections,even put on a 39T in back to see what it would feel like, but that was too much & went back to the 38T,alot of motor mods may help if you stay with the 14T/39T combo it may be what you need for your riding style.YOU DO WHAT SUITS YOUR RIDING STYLE,everybody's different & perfers what you do with them,also Pappy you have a YFZ home to you jump on back & forth they are two different rides to me,that would be hard to do for me.But your lucky you have both,MX for the YFZ,XC for the R:D

Pappy
04-14-2004, 07:56 AM
im afraid your right greg with regards to the engine. i really liked the long use of 1st and second in the woods, but didnt like the amount of clutch work needed to get over bad sections and steep rutted hills. More power maybe just the ticket:devil:

tkwarrior
04-14-2004, 08:01 AM
I put my 13t on the other night and took it for a ride yesterday. I was not impressed at all. I was running around a circle track and was hitting 5th before the end of the straights. With my old 14t I was barely getting into it in 5th before I was back in the turn.

I'm going to give it another chance but I will probably swap back and forth depending on where I'm going to ride because I'm not cool with reving this thing out in 5th.

greghall
04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
You gear it for what you ride XC terrain you barly get to maybe 4 th gear its mostly 1st & second,MX is different,Street balling is different I dont care how fast my R will go I will never go that fast on it I care about how it handles on the trail & how it takes hills & XC type terrain you have to mod your bike for what you do no bike is going to be perfect for everything.That's why everybody likes the YFZ its fast in a staight line & has a 2 stroke type hit people like that

lukester720
04-14-2004, 10:58 AM
I find that with the 13 front, the get up and go off the line is much snappier/faster *but* you have to remember to shift sooner, or you will run out of gear / hit rev limiter and lose speed. Top speed loss is a mute point (to me) [/B]

The 13t was just to low for my riding style. 2nd and 3rd gear were nearly non existant under hard acceleration. I also don't want to shift any more than I have to in the woods. Exspecially on steep hills because if you miss a gear your screwed.

It seems the 39t sprocket added just what I was looking for without going overboard. Which was mainly 1st gear being so tall, so it takes off a little bit easier now. The other gears had minimal problems to start with ( mainly second) and the 39 was enough to fix that for me to. Now I feel comfortable in the woods.

For woods riding I always turn my idle up some. Does anyone else do this? This helps you to put around a little more while trying to scrape mud from your googles.

hsr
04-14-2004, 11:12 AM
I realize that gearing is critical in the woods but it seems as if a set of 18" tires for the mx track will fix the gearing.

Pappy
04-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by hsr
I realize that gearing is critical in the woods but it seems as if a set of 18" tires for the mx track will fix the gearing.

i was told last night that stock gearing and 18's work excellent...

i know i will get her where i want it, it just takes some time and a few dolla's

lukester720
04-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by hsr

Tim farr runs stock gearing with 18's on his quad. I have 18's on mine right now with the 39 tooth, I'm just to lazy to switch it back to a 38 that's all. Still feels fine though.

Manny55
04-14-2004, 03:21 PM
How is it keeping the front end down with a 13 t sprocket! I have one on my R but i havent tested it yet!

kawasuki 400
04-14-2004, 07:24 PM
can anyone tell me what gears to use with 22 inch rear tires that will make the gearing the same as stock thanks

lukester720
04-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by kawasuki 400
can anyone tell me what gears to use with 22 inch rear tires that will make the gearing the same as stock thanks
The 13t should be about equal to stock. Mabey not dead on but close.

Pappy
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
ok...i put in 20 laps (10 miles) tonight with the 13 tooth sprocket. I must say it feels better then it did the first ride. i still think in fast sections it will be a touch over geared but manageable.

my advice....

buy the 13 tooth. its an easy swap when needed.